The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson had a harder shot than anyone at the All-Star game, and I'm pretty sure that Virtanen outdid McDavid speed wise.

McDavid did it in 13.31 seconds. Jake did it in 13.471...with a cape.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Qwags said:

I can't believe this thread has over 1000 pages. Is this really more contrversial than the Burrows thread?

Yes. I know, hard to believe.  Opnions vary: (1) he's the future, he doesn't get enough ice time;or (2) he should be traded, he doesn't earn the ice time he gets -- too entitled, or, (3) he needs more time to develop than some of the rookies, power forwards are special. 

He might be the most controversial thing about the Canucks.  Other than the issues surrounding how the rebuild is going.  (Which he is linked with, too.)  

Still, it's interesting that you point this out, not sure anyone has before. 

Edited by gameburn

Is there another player in the league with the same combination of speed, size, and shot that Virtanen has? I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say he is a one-of-a-kind talent in certain regards. Like many others, I see him starting to rush a little less when he has the puck, and is more confident in hanging onto it a little longer. Even though there are still obvious deficiencies, he's slowly but surely turning the corner.

I just hope he figures it out that being an NHL player is a full time (and full-year) job and comes back better next year. If/when we make the playoffs, I can see Virtanen being such an important player for us in wearing down the other teams' dmen and creating havoc off rushes. I think most people are being patient with him, but for those that aren't - give him a chance to show you what he has. I think most agree that right now he is nowhere near the player he will be in 2-3 years.

I like what a previous poster said - we can't expect Virtanen to dominate every single game, even at his peak. A lot is asked of a power forward, which I believe is why they take a little longer to develop. Most players have one or two jobs - whether it be to score, to hit, to or to shut down other team's players. A power forward, especially one who skates as well as Virtanen (again, have we ever seen that type of player??) is expected to do everything. He needs to learn all aspects of the game - so give him time. I foresee really good things in his future.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

Yes. I know, hard to believe.  Opnions vary: (1) he's the future, he doesn't get enough ice time;or (2) he should be traded, he doesn't earn the ice time he gets -- too entitled, or, (3) he needs more time to develop than some of the rookies, power forwards are special. 

He might be the most controversial thing about the Canucks.  Other than the issues surrounding how the rebuild is going.  (Which he is linked with, too.)  

Still, it's interesting that you point this out, not sure anyone has before. 

Once Gudbranson signs his contract with Benning, that subject will take over as the most controversial issue, for at least a week. 

• Upvote 3

Re Virtanen left wing or right wing.

Kuzma - game day notes in the Province:

2. One wing at a time for Virtanen

That Jake Virtanen bolt down the left side Saturday, in which the right-winger schooled Torey Krug and scored on a backhand-to-forehand move, makes you wonder if he should get a look on the left side.

The right-handed shot plays the right side for obvious reasons and has more shooting options cutting across the slot. “I’ve thought of playing him everywhere, but he’s a natural right-winger,” said Green. “Has it popped into my head? Yeah. But I want Jake to master playing right wing.”

Fwiw when Benning traded Kassian for Prust he talked of how it opened up a spot for Virtanen as Kassian was RW but Prust LW.  Also the the Hitmen tend to list their starting lineup with their positions.  If you search twitter using 'LW Virtanen', it's not a long list to scroll down, he started at LW but then was mostly listed at RW.  Someone on HF compiled all the lines in his draft+1 - he was listed only once at LW. 

Edited by mll

19 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Once Gudbranson signs his contract with Benning, that subject will take over as the most controversial issue, for at least a week. 

Lol.  So true... and you predicted correctly about his being re-signed, as well.

A lot of money for a guy who doesn't seem to do very much. 

I missed the 3rd/OT last night but I read JV got some OT time?  How did he look?  Hopefully he gets some PP time soon as well, I really hope he and Goldy can gel together, that's a lot of shifty speed on that line, maybe Gags can join that line when he's healthy instead of Dowd.

9 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Either Virtanen or Goldobin would be good replacements for Baertschi on the first line right now.  I'd like to see Baertschi moved for as much as we can get right now.

Sven is outproducing both of them by quite a bit. He has 5 points and +3 in his last 5 games. Virtanen and Goldobin have combined for five points in their last five games and +1. 

That said, it's obvious that anyone playing with Horvat gets their numbers a bit inflated. I can see how Goldobin might work with Horvat, but I don't see Virtanen working. Horvat thinks the game at a high level and Virtanen's game is much simpler--just drive the net and create chances. Goldobin, like Horvat, Baertschi, and Boeser, thinks the game at a high level and could mesh well.

I really like the way Virtanen's game is coming along.  I get that he hasn't put up big numbers, and still has inconsistencies in his game, but he has been one of the Canucks best players for a couple of games recently.  He has always had the ability to show flashes of his potential, but those flashes are coming more often, and more sustained.  His speed, power and strength coming down the wing and cutting to the net is going to be his bread and butter move.  I believe he will get significantly more ice time next year with some PP time and put up 30-35 points (20-25 this year).  In two years time he will be in the top 6 and putting up some solid numbers.  I do believe that in his prime he will put up multiple 50-60 point seasons.  

I know some people may disagree with this harassment, which is fair, but I do think that everyone would agree that his outlook now is much more positive that it was at the start of the year.

• Like 1