The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Brian Burke made an excellent point about Kadri having to find his way as a checker first in the league.  I see a similar path with Jake.  I have zero doubt his offense will come as he keeps getting better.  

Botchford also made a great point that this past summer Jake worked a lot on puck protection based on the advice of the Sedins and you saw a good display of it last night.

He seems very committed to improving and that says a lot about the upside he has imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think you're underselling Hansen considerably. He was a borderline 2nd line forward in his best years and excellent defensively. I'd be thrilled if Jake became another Hansen.

Given what we know now, I think everyone would be thrilled if we got a Hansen out of Jake. But he will never be judged based on his own true potential, he will be judged based on where he was picked. And it will always be hard to justify his production based on that alone. 

• Upvote 1

He is better at his role that those who wish to criticize him wish to acknowledge.   He has a ways to go still but continues to make great progress.   Played with confidence and purpose this morning.   That goal was something you don't score without confidence to shoot from there.   

He has three times more goals than Ehlers this year and is blowing Nylander out of the water.   :ph34r:   (those are both tongue in cheek before one of you Jake bashers loses their mind)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Given what we know now, I think everyone would be thrilled if we got a Hansen out of Jake. But he will never be judged based on his own true potential, he will be judged based on where he was picked. And it will always be hard to justify his production based on that alone. 

Then people should look up historic 6th OA's.

There's some good players there but there's also some busts, mediocre players and just decent NHL players like Jake appears to be heading towards.

A decent NHL career, like he looks like he's on track to have, is a perfectly good pick at 6th OA. It's just not an EP40 style, bases loaded, over the wall, world series winning, 'home run'.

Sure beats the MDC 'foul that beaned a kid in the crowd' pick at 5 though :lol:

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Why does everyone think virtanen going to become some offensive dynamo playing on the 3rd line, his entire career he’s kinda been on a leash

He played for lengthy stretches with the twins.  I don't recall the twins being on the 3rd line.   

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Before last night the last time someone commented on this page was October 15th..  Why are you talking about people going silent when he performs well?  The only time this page is ever active is when he gets a point, which on average is once every couple of weeks.  Try supporting him during the weeks in between how about?

Kid played great last night, now please don't disappear for 8 in a row 

Because HW isn't known for backing up his posts with actual substance, although we can always rely on the snark remarks.

By all accounts, the prerogative is on Jake to show that he can consistently perform at a top-6 level, not just a good game here and there. Putting up a point every few games isn't anything new for Jake. 

16 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

still not really sold on virtanen take away his 2 EN points he's right at the bottom of the roster in terms of production. at best he'll be like a Hansen.. really fast player not much of a finish and will hit once in a while and somewhat decent defensively

boooooooo.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Then people should look up historic 6th OA's.

There's some good players there but there's also some busts, mediocre players and just decent NHL players like Jake appears to be heading towards.

A decent NHL career, like he looks like he's on track to have, is a perfectly good pick at 6th OA. It's just not an EP40 style, bases loaded, over the wall, world series winning, 'home run'.

Sure beats the MDC 'foul that beaned a kid in the crowd' pick at 5 though :lol:

Haha, I doubt your average joe is as invested in the Canucks as us. No one is going to 'look up' anything, just see the other draftees around him. 

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Is that the mark to achieve a 'breakout' year?

'breakout year' is a term that is individual for each player.

Considering the fact that 30 points would be a 50% increase in Jake's point total from last year, then yes, that would be a breakout year for Jake. Don't get all...we should taken someone else. Instead consider that if Jake does get to 30 this year he could still double that in the next couple years if he develops well. 

Nice snide comment btw.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

'breakout year' is a term that is individual for each player.

Considering the fact that 30 points would be a 50% increase in Jake's point total from last year, then yes, that would be a breakout year for Jake. Don't get all...we should taken someone else. Instead consider that if Jake does get to 30 this year he could still double that in the next couple years if he develops well. 

Nice snide comment btw.

?? You take things way out of context. I wouldn't consider 30 points a breakout, it is steady development from the previous year. 

I agree with Westcoasting...  30 points doesn't seem like a break out year to me unless it's heavily weighted in goals vs assists.

And it's hard to attribute any success based on a productivity increase over last year since he significantly under performed.  Eg. if he had 1 point last year and got 2 points this year you wouldn't exactly call it a break through year even though he increased his point total by 100%.

5 hours ago, guntrix said:

Because HW isn't known for backing up his posts with actual substance, although we can always rely on the snark remarks.

And cue the frog, with the usual hypocrisy and personal attacks, "as always".  In case you haven't noticed, Jake's been playing well this year as well as the latter part of last season, thus the deafening silence from you and your lil gang.

• Upvote 4