The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

17 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

I might be the minority but I'm not ready to let this dude go, Power forwards take time to achieve their full potential. Let the kid grow.

Yeah, he has been improving every year. If he had stopped improving, I could see wanting to move him, but that is clearly not the case.

• Cheers 1

Mmmm .... what about his agent? Parents? (supposed) Friends?   What are they telling hm? Kissing his rotund butt ... or talking straight to him?  They should ship him off to Gary Roberts' Training Camp about 4-5 weeks before Canucks camp opens.  Tough love !  LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, boomer29 said:

Mmmm .... what about his agent? Parents? (supposed) Friends?   What are they telling hm? Kissing his rotund butt ... or talking straight to him?  They should ship him off to Gary Roberts' Training Camp about 4-5 weeks before Canucks camp opens.  Tough love !  LOL 

He shouldn't have to be "shipped off", he should be hiring the best trainers and skills people to work with in the off season to improve his game....isn't that what a pro does if they are struggling?  If my job was to work in a physical environment and my boss came out publicly and stated they expected more from me, I'd be frantically looking at every avenue to see how/where I could improve.  

I keep going back to the time during the playoffs when Jake was paired with someone else in the post game media interview, I think he had scored a goal.  He was not the most articulate in answering the questions, and then he just sat there with a grin on his face nodding his head when the other player was answering questions (most of the questions were directed to the other player).  He struck me as someone who wasn't that bright.  I get that he was probably on a post game high from the excitement of the game, but I also am pretty sure the players get media training.  I don't remember any other times when Jake has been front and center in media interviews - I might be wrong, but maybe there is a reason?  Not that everyone needs to be a Pettersson or Horvat, but doesn't help that one sounds as thick as a brick.  

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

He shouldn't have to be "shipped off", he should be hiring the best trainers and skills people to work with in the off season to improve his game....isn't that what a pro does if they are struggling?  If my job was to work in a physical environment and my boss came out publicly and stated they expected more from me, I'd be frantically looking at every avenue to see how/where I could improve.  

I keep going back to the time during the playoffs when Jake was paired with someone else in the post game media interview, I think he had scored a goal.  He was not the most articulate in answering the questions, and then he just sat there with a grin on his face nodding his head when the other player was answering questions (most of the questions were directed to the other player).  He struck me as someone who wasn't that bright.  I get that he was probably on a post game high from the excitement of the game, but I also am pretty sure the players get media training.  I don't remember any other times when Jake has been front and center in media interviews - I might be wrong, but maybe there is a reason?  Not that everyone needs to be a Pettersson or Horvat, but doesn't help that one sounds as thick as a brick.  

Bang on. He's just not the sharpest knife in the draw, you need to speak slowly or add pictures. Hockey players need one of two skills, innate skill's or the intellect to understand instructions. Sadly ........ :wacko:

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

On September 22, 2020 at 8:08 AM, Dixon Ward said:

I think we are all still frustrated by a guy who can skate faster than 90% of the league, built like a tank, has a great shot, grew up a Canucks fan, and seems like a decent guy, but disappears for entire games.  He also has his off ice stupidity once in a while.  We all want him to be as great as he seems like he could be.

I think, sadly, he just isn't smart. I think that's the real problem.   He doesn't catch on quickly and is still confused on many nights what they want from him.  He does dumb stuff off the ice and seems dumb on it.  

This year he seemed better than ever, but still clueless on many nights.  I don't think Benning is actively trying to trade him though.  If he was he wouldn't have bad mouthed him publicly.   I think he was trying to get him cheaper.  After all, he's dumb but his set of skills is hard to come by and he's closer than he's been.  

I really like big Jake Virtanen, 24, 6'1, 220lbs such a great fast skater for a big guy..If he plays to his talent, use speed drive to net at full speed causes havoc

with rebounds and causing scoring chances.

Jared McCann -C or winger - signed- 2.9 million avg  he scored 14 goals 35 point - 2019-20

Jake Virtanen - RW -                                               18 goals  - 36 points  -- 2019-20

There previous contract last year were the same 1.2 million..Big hum in salary for McCann..

I don't know if Vancouver will want to pay jake 2.9 Million X 2 yrs? That will be the deal he will want..

I really feel Jake should be a top 6 forward at this point in his career. I still thin he will be a 20-25 goal scorer -- 42- 48 point guy?

I think he needs a new change and he might be more focused? He has the tools its the mind and focus and determination and drive like other players..

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I really like big Jake Virtanen, 24, 6'1, 220lbs such a great fast skater for a big guy..If he plays to his talent, use speed drive to net at full speed causes havoc

with rebounds and causing scoring chances.

Jared McCann -C or winger - signed- 2.9 million avg  he scored 14 goals 35 point - 2019-20

Jake Virtanen - RW -                                               18 goals  - 36 points  -- 2019-20

There previous contract last year were the same 1.2 million..Big hum in salary for McCann..

I don't know if Vancouver will want to pay jake 2.9 Million X 2 yrs? That will be the deal he will want..

I really feel Jake should be a top 6 forward at this point in his career. I still thin he will be a 20-25 goal scorer -- 42- 48 point guy?

I think he needs a new change and he might be more focused? He has the tools its the mind and focus and determination and drive like other players..

I always thought Centres were paid and valued more?

Even on team Canada you see centres moved to the wing, as they are usually the more talented, creative, driving and versatile of the 2 positions

Jake's problem is between his ears. It always has been and always will be unless he addresses it. And it can be addressed. I'm not talking about IQ level, but more shedding light on what's going on and possibly giving him another perspective. I look at a guy like Mackinnon who's admitted to struggling (to the extent that Mackinnon can actually "struggle") the first few years into his career. Then he started seeing an athletic therapist and that allowed him to do a 180 mentally which kicked his game into the stratosphere to where he's considered a top 3 player in the league now. It could benefit Jake to talk to someone and get to the bottom of some of the "blockers" in his way that are keeping him from rolling his sleeves up and committing to being a professional athlete.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

when is that day? 

I think he has to many distractions here and being shipped off to the east coast somewhere may be beneficial for him. 

He needs time and space and a new start I think to get out of his rut. I think he can become a good player just not in his home town. (To many distractions)

he has good speed, a wicked shot and can make good plays however his hockey IQ isn’t the greatest so he often has to use his speed to catch up with the play or to cover back. Which is fine to a point however to be doing this shift in shift out you need hustle and commitment (like motte, Hanson etc) and he just doesn’t.

i believe he still thinks he can coast and just use his natural skill to get by - fine in juniors but not good enough now. He needs a wake up call a a city far away with no friends or family where he can focus would be good. (Utica would be good however at this stage in his career (even without waivers) he would know it’s only for a short time and revert to type when recalled)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

I think he has to many distractions here and being shipped off to the east coast somewhere may be beneficial for him. 

He needs time and space and a new start I think to get out of his rut. I think he can become a good player just not in his home town. (To many distractions)

he has good speed, a wicked shot and can make good plays however his hockey IQ isn’t the greatest so he often has to use his speed to catch up with the play or to cover back. Which is fine to a point however to be doing this shift in shift out you need hustle and commitment (like motte, Hanson etc) and he just doesn’t.

i believe he still thinks he can coast and just use his natural skill to get by - fine in juniors but not good enough now. He needs a wake up call a a city far away with no friends or family where he can focus would be good. (Utica would be good however at this stage in his career (even without waivers) he would know it’s only for a short time and revert to type when recalled)

Yeah, The good ole days, when you could send down complacent players to motivate them, and remind them how lucky they are to play and earn NHL money

18 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Motte's brain in Jake's body would be awesome.

I guess we'll see how this all goes, depending on the next two weeks this could just end up in arbitration. 

28 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Motte's brain in Jake's body would be awesome.

I guess we'll see how this all goes, depending on the next two weeks this could just end up in arbitration. 

Quite posssibly. I’m not in the crowd of ship him out now, but I’m not against it either and I feel if we trade him it will come back to bite us as he probably will be a better player for it. Sometimes people need a jolt. It’s to familiar here with management, linemates, organisation, friends and family. Somewhere else probably would work well for him. Just would hate to see him become that player else where 

44 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Quite posssibly. I’m not in the crowd of ship him out now, but I’m not against it either and I feel if we trade him it will come back to bite us as he probably will be a better player for it. Sometimes people need a jolt. It’s to familiar here with management, linemates, organisation, friends and family. Somewhere else probably would work well for him. Just would hate to see him become that player else where 

I wonder if the arbitration process might do that... apparently its not pleasant. Maybe it dawns on him that with a bit more focus he can really cash in. Or he's topped out on how coachable he is. Time will tell. 

9 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

I see this a lot and I'm not quite sure it'll pan out the way people are expecting it to. 

Other teams have internal competition too and will probably be less forgiving than we have been with Jake. If at a new team he keeps showing up to camp unfit and finds a new Roxy, he can just as easily end up in the AHL. 

Just because Neely happened doesn't necessarily mean that every underachieving player that leaves will become a star. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

I see this a lot and I'm not quite sure it'll pan out the way people are expecting it to. 

Other teams have internal competition too and will probably be less forgiving than we have been with Jake. If at a new team he keeps showing up to camp unfit and finds a new Roxy, he can just as easily end up in the AHL. 

Just because Neely happened doesn't necessarily mean that every underachieving player that leaves will become a star. 

Hense the probably not definitely.  He could like you say carry on and fail, or the change may be a wake up call. It’s nothing to do with Neely and to do with human nature and getting a wake up call by change 

Canucks will protect themselves. If they can't find a trade partner for Jake who will take the risk of Arbitration, he won't be qualified.

If he's not qualified, don't be surprised if he signs a one year, show me deal in Vancouver around the 1 million mark.

Canucks won't lock him in for more in a flat cap without knowing that they can bury him in Utica if he's not consistent.

15 hours ago, guntrix said:

Neely was only 21 years old when he was traded...he was a power forward and star player for Portland in junior (I remembered watching him play and happy that Vcr drafted him). To the contrary, he was doing well with the Canucks as a 21 year old player...it was just a stupid trade at the time...it definitely was a wtf moment.

On the other hand, Jake is not Cam Neely...not even in the same ball park as Neely.Capture.PNG.c671fccafd3c4cd2a796be995c601df6.PNG

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Canucks will protect themselves. If they can't find a trade partner for Jake who will take the risk of Arbitration, he won't be qualified.

If he's not qualified, don't be surprised if he signs a one year, show me deal in Vancouver around the 1 million mark.

Canucks won't lock him in for more in a flat cap without knowing that they can bury him in Utica if he's not consistent.

if Jim manages to clear enough cap, or we somehow fail to sign TT, they might QO him just to keep that option and not lose him for nothing. Man I'd sure like to see a deal for a RHD in the end tho.