The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

49 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

How did he look a lot better playing with Gaunce and Granlund last night against NYR? Compared to him playing with the twins? 

He was able to utilise his speed more, and not have to hover around the boards to accommodate for the Sedins cycle game.  That line was just able to play basic hockey and JV didn't have to worry as much about his positioning.  Sedins and JV are simply not a match, Sedins and Eriksson are so that makes the bottom 2 lines better.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

How did he look a lot better playing with Gaunce and Granlund last night against NYR? Compared to him playing with the twins? 

North/South vs East West.

Virtanen looks much better playing with other North/South players. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I was just looking at the statistics and realized that through 20 games, Jake hasn't taken a single penalty. Given his play style, that kind of responsible play is incredible.

Would love to see a more physical brand to his game though.  Not expecting he will drill players into the boards every shift, but because of his unique built and ability to use his speed, hoping he plays the body more.

Green was saying there were many points in the preseason and early on in the season, Jake bypassed finishing off his check.  As well, Jake isn't driving the net as hard as we know he can, often taking some peripheral shots.  That speed, size and shot, he needs to use effectively to get to the net.  Obviously don't want him to take mindless penalties, but I would gladly take a few PIMs from him, if it meant he was being more physically involved and stirring the pot a bit.  I think just that nature of the game will lead to more PIM's not asking to be shorthanded more often, but driving the net hard causing havoc will likely lead to some skirmishes here and there

But I do agree, kinda glad he has gotten rid of some of that bad habits of taking dumb penalties in junior and has stayed rather disciplined.

Jake leaves me with the impression he didn't have much in the way of quality coaching in his non-professional years.  Seems like he had lots of skills, so the coaching staff left him to his own devices; leaving him to learn the basics in hockey on his own.

Grateful he has a professional coaching staff that are taking the time to help him find his game within the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Jake leaves me with the impression he didn't have much in the way of quality coaching in his non-professional years.  Seems like he had lots of skills, so the coaching staff left him to his own devices; leaving him to learn the basics in hockey on his own.

Grateful he has a professional coaching staff that are taking the time to help him find his game within the game.

This is a truly insightful post!    

What I am noticing from this game vs Islanders.

-Jake can fly. Like he is seriously fast. (Obviously)

-His speed gets him into open areas but when he’s there he’s been making really bad passes resulting in turnovers and scoring chances going the other way. I’ve been wowed a few times with a good play then immediately after he throws it up the middle and it’s a turnover or a bad pass off the mark. 

-He looks much better playing on a different line than the sedins. Jake was just too fast and not smart enough to play with the sedins and I’m glad he’s on another line that works better with his style.

-He keeps passing up opportunities to finish his checks. He doesn’t have to finish every one but there seems to be quite a few that he can just crush the guy but he skates by him without a tap. 

-He’s got to get his shots on net. Been missing the net a bunch this season. 

-He needs to use his speed to drive to the net. For a guy that fast and strong he rarely cuts to the net, it’s always shots from the outside that are easy saves.

I see him trending in the right direction. If he can fix up these deficiencies he can be really dynamic.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

If I ever miss a game, please remind me not to come to this thread when I need an update on Jake's game

You can trust my analysis::D.  I think what he meant was he moved north to south with the puck fast but couldn't make a pass to save his life.

28 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah I agree with your assessment and I know exactly what shift you are talking about when you said he turned it over 4 or 5 times in a matter of about 20 seconds.  Just completely lost out there.  

I heard coach Green say that Jake is super fast, and sometimes he's actually too fast.  Maybe Jake's brain needs to catch up to his feet?

I really like elements of his game and I still believe he can be an impact player but he MUST get more physical. I see him turning away from hits way to often.  He could absolutely be a force out there crushing guys and creating space. I mean he has 0 penalty minutes and that's hard to do. With his speed, shot, and size if he played half as hard as Dorsett plays then he would be dominant. I just don't get it.

17 minutes ago, ohmy said:

I really like elements of his game and I still believe he can be an impact player but he MUST get more physical. I see him turning away from hits way to often.  He could absolutely be a force out there crushing guys and creating space. I mean he has 0 penalty minutes and that's hard to do. With his speed, shot, and size if he played half as hard as Dorsett plays then he would be dominant. I just don't get it.

He kind of reminds me of Dale Weise when he came back from the Dutch league and suddenly thought he was a skill only guy lol

• Upvote 1

I am suprised that Jake seems to be held to a higher standard than everyone else,  There are other, older players out there playing worse than JV but no one gives them a hard time with the excessive critisism that seems to still float Jakes way when he has an off night.  Also, he can't go balls to the wall every shift and every game.  He will have bad nights like everyone else.  Jake just seems to catch it from us a lot more for, a lot less, than other players.  I like what I've seen of Jake so far this year.  One other thing, Jake is a lot better defensively than he get credit for.  I do believe he is +4 so far this season.  I know some would like to see him hit more and that would be fine, as long as doing so doesn't make him less effective defensively.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I am suprised that Jake seems to be held to a higher standard than everyone else,  There are other, older players out there playing worse than JV but no one gives them a hard time with the excessive critisism that seems to still float Jakes way when he has an off night.  Also, he can't go balls to the wall every shift and every game.  He will have bad nights like everyone else.  Jake just seems to catch it from us a lot more for, a lot less, than other players.  I like what I've seen of Jake so far this year.  One other thing, Jake is a lot better defensively than he get credit for.  I do believe he is +4 so far this season.  I know some would like to see him hit more and that would be fine, as long as doing so doesn't make him less effective defensively.

Don't worry about it, people on here rag on Eriksson and Gagner too. It's all part of the business, Jake is a big boy, I'm sure he can handle it. Ultimately everyone, even the pessimistic bunch, would like Jake to succeed.