The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I think considering giving him something like Tuch (4.75 x 7) got would be interesting to explore. I don't think we have to worry about Jake falling off at this point. He's mature and a local so I don't see a lack of motivation developing.

This might not be realistic with cap considerations or whatnot, but never know.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Bridge deal would be best for Virtanen. Career year with a shooting percentage over 5% higher than his usual average. 

Not sure how relevant average is when his production increases every year - it's his third consecutive "career year".

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think he's probably gonna end up with another bridge deal, but there's a small chance he gets a longer term deal. If he gets a bridge, it'll probably be around 3 - 3.5M for 2 or 3 years.

Probably closer to 2.5-3M. 1 year not enough to earn as much as guys like Ferland. I would say 2 years since Eriksson/Lou/Beagle/Roussel are off the books then and we can sign him to a bigger contract.

Pretty much a show me deal. Gaudette will probably get same term but less money.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably closer to 2.5-3M. 1 year not enough to earn as much as guys like Ferland. I would say 2 years since Eriksson/Lou/Beagle/Roussel are off the books then and we can sign him to a bigger contract.

Pretty much a show me deal. Gaudette will probably get same term but less money.

Unlike Gaudette, I think Jake could be a target for an offer sheet.   He is thought of pretty highly around the league.  Many teams would love to have what he offers and still has as a potential ceiling.   

• Upvote 1

Lock him up to a longer term, 4 to 5 years ideally.  

He will only cost more if JB bridges him.  

His play has been progressing steadily for a long time.  I don't see him stepping back.  Some players are like young birds... they can take a while to fly, but once they do, they don't suddenly forget the next day.  

Jake has also shown a very predictable trend in the last 3 years.  Always getting better.  He can definitely have off games, but he has never regressed for long periods of time.  

Is he a 1sr line player, not possible to determine yet, but he is definitely a top six guy.  His G per 60 minutes has always supported this.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Unlike Gaudette, I think Jake could be a target for an offer sheet.   He is thought of pretty highly around the league.  Many teams would love to have what he offers and still has as a potential ceiling.   

I don't think JB will take the chance on Jake being offer sheeted. I expect to see him signed before July.

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Lock him up to a longer term, 4 to 5 years ideally.  

He will only cost more if JB bridges him.  

His play has been progressing steadily for a long time.  I don't see him stepping back.  Some players are like young birds... they can take a while to fly, but once they do, they don't suddenly forget the next day.  

Jake has also shown a very predictable trend in the last 3 years.  Always getting better.  He can definitely have off games, but he has never regressed for long periods of time.  

Is he a 1sr line player, not possible to determine yet, but he is definitely a top six guy.  His G per 60 minutes has always supported this.  

A lower, two year bridge works with our cap forecast. It also reduces risk of him falling off/regression and if I'm being honest... I think Jake needs the motivation of a shorter contract. That boy loves him some 'stick' :lol:

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I know. Hughes will be in the same boat as Gaudette too and any of our college guys we sign this year.

Would take take an offer sheet to get away from Van? It's a good question. He knows he can get big money here in 2 years when Lou/Loui/Roussel/Beagle are off the books. He takes big money now and isn't worth it he would be looked at as quite expendable.

I am skeptical about giving young players 'potential' contracts based off what they could be. There's risk involved with these type of deals. You need more than 1 season to prove what your worth. If he plays and progresses well he'll be worth more than what he can get now in 2 years and if he doesn't then we wouldn't be stuck with him long term on a bad deal.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I know. Hughes will be in the same boat as Gaudette too and any of our college guys we sign this year.

Would take take an offer sheet to get away from Van? It's a good question. He knows he can get big money here in 2 years when Lou/Loui/Roussel/Beagle are off the books. He takes big money now and isn't worth it he would be looked at as quite expendable.

I am skeptical about giving young players 'potential' contracts based off what they could be. There's risk involved with these type of deals. You need more than 1 season to prove what your worth. If he plays and progresses well he'll be worth more than what he can get now in 2 years and if he doesn't then we wouldn't be stuck with him long term on a bad deal.

If I were Canucks I would lock up Jake with a bridge sooner than later.   Big risk leaving it to this summer IMHO.

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

If I were Canucks I would lock up Jake with a bridge sooner than later.   Big risk leaving it to this summer IMHO.

For sure.

He'll be getting at least double what he's making now. I expect him to have a bit of a higher qualifying offer in his next deal.

example being if his cap is 2.5Mx2years his qualifying offer would be 3M. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

For sure.

He'll be getting at least double what he's making now. I expect him to have a bit of a higher qualifying offer in his next deal.

example being if his cap is 2.5Mx2years his qualifying offer would be 3M. 

Look around the league at guys with his versatility and who seemingly are going to be 15-25 goals a year and perhaps up to 45-50 points but more than likely be essential elements to a heavy playoff style of hockey.   Very few of them come for anything close to those numbers and Canucks are actually blessed in a way that his development curve has been of the slower power forward nature.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Look around the league at guys with his versatility and who seemingly are going to be 15-25 goals a year and perhaps up to 45-50 points but more than likely be essential elements to a heavy playoff style of hockey.   Very few of them come for anything close to those numbers and Canucks are actually blessed in a way that his development curve has been of the slower power forward nature.

I don't think he is as heavy as people think. He plays a odd style as a PWF where he is not playing as physical as he is capable. That's one area where I would be looking for him to improve if I were to critique any part of his game. I remember back when he was pissing off Malkin and was everywhere on the ice. I would love to see him do that consistently on top of scoring. A bit more bite.

I am not complaining about his overall play though. He has progressed well offensively and has proven effective as secondary scorer and if he can kick it up a notch physically he'll be even more valued.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think he is as heavy as people think. He plays a odd style as a PWF where he is not playing as physical as he is capable. That's one area where I would be looking for him to improve if I were to critique any part of his game. I remember back when he was pissing off Malkin and was everywhere on the ice. I would love to see him do that consistently on top of scoring. A bit more bite.

I am not complaining about his overall play though. He has progressed well offensively and has proven effective as secondary scorer and if he can kick it up a notch physically he'll be even more valued.

He plays pretty heavy actually - look at his TK/GV stats and try to watch any puck battles he gets involved in.   He has such a low COG and strong legs it makes him a tough guy to move off a puck.   He could be more aggressive but has likely been coached to avoid getting himself out of position - I think as he confidence continues to rise with his success you will see more and more of the WHL Jake showing up.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He plays pretty heavy actually - look at his TK/GV stats and try to watch any puck battles he gets involved in.   He has such a low COG and strong legs it makes him a tough guy to move off a puck.   He could be more aggressive but has likely been coached to avoid getting himself out of position - I think as he confidence continues to rise with his success you will see more and more of the WHL Jake showing up.

Jake uses his size a lot to get in opponents’ way.  He’s a super skater and seems to get pleasure from making it hard on the other teams’ players to move around the ice.  I think Jake is turning into one of those really hate to play against guys.  

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I agree with you 100%.

However, when you go to almost every NHL team page they all have fans saying that about their heavy (weight wise) guys. 

There are very very few NHL players that play "hard" and hit constantly within the NHL.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

With his speed it definitely helps, it is a big advantage. He isn't the most physical presence on the team. I have a some guys ahead of him in that regard but feel he's on par with a most players here.  Guys like Motte/Ferland(when healthy) play a heavier game and Motte is half Jake's size. Guys like Pearson and Miller who have to engage a lot more physically to win puck battles because they are't nearly as fast, especially Pearson. Could bring up Rouss and Gaud too.  I think he is on par with most of those guys but with his speed he could surpass them, even slightly.

That game vs Malkin he was everywhere, got under Malkin's skin and played a pretty effective game without scoring. Could be a pest like that without even actually acting like one. 

Could sprinkle a bit more bite into his game. I don't think there's nothing wrong with that.

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I agree with you 100%.

However, when you go to almost every NHL team page they all have fans saying that about their heavy (weight wise) guys. 

There are very very few NHL players that play "hard" and hit constantly within the NHL.

Jake has the physical tools with his speed though to be more than he is, even if just slightly.

If he could just sprinkle some bite in like I sprinkle some parmesan onto my pizza sub he'd be even more of a delightful sight on the ice haha.

I am really happy with him though.

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Jake has the physical tools with his speed though to be more than he is, even if just slightly.

If he could just sprinkle some bite in like I sprinkle some parmesan onto my pizza sub he'd be even more of a delightful sight on the ice haha.

I am really happy with him though.

On the physical side of Jake's game I look at puck possession, particularly in the ozone. Jake's ability to retain the puck is physical in nature as he is difficult to knock off the puck. He establishes body position and evaluates opportunities. IMHO he will only get better at this. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1