The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can we just stop with the JV bashing and Nylander/ Ehlers love affair on OUR CANUCKS site?

we have JV, who provides a fast physical game.  The other two are small players who help their teams in a different way.  They are more like Vey and Baer, which is just fine.  It takes all types to make a good team.  JB clearly believed we already have young guys to provide what Nylander and Ehlers do in Vey and the second for Baer.  He knew we needed what JV provides more than the other stuff that Vey and Baer already give us, so JB drafted JV.

What's wrong with liking other players on a Canucks site? 

Maybe not for prospects because you can't predict a 19 year olds future, but some players are simply better than others. 

I liked Forseberg more than Naslund, Kesler more than Burrows etc.. Doesn't mean I cheer for anyone other than Vancouver

6 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

What's wrong with liking other players on a Canucks site? 

Maybe not for prospects because you can't predict a 19 year olds future, but some players are simply better than others. 

I liked Forseberg more than Naslund, Kesler more than Burrows etc.. Doesn't mean I cheer for anyone other than Vancouver

I liked Foresberg too.  Great player.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I'm glad to hear you are a JV fan, who is glad we didnt draft a small perimiter player in that spot.  Good for you standing up for our guys.

my apo:rolleyes:logies 

You are right. I should just be like you and suspend logic just so I can defend my favorite players. 

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Not a love affair.. not our fault JV bandwagoners avoid a debate like the plague. 

The guy said that Nylander was an injury risk although he's only suffered one major injury. If we want to apply the same parameters to everyone then Virtanen is an injury risk too.

As of TODAY, a debate between Virtanen and his closest draftees is warranted, especially when the other two have done better so far professionally. Thinking that Virtanen will become an elite power forward and that the other two will round off as perimeter players is PURE speculation and has absolutely no bearing on today's discussion.

You're hilarious. There's a JV bandwagon? Why aren't you on it? What team do you cheer for?<---serious question.

Is it really warranted to argue sour grapes with the minority, who are basing their opinions on boxscores? 

What have you thought of Jakes game lately? He looks like he's starting to put it together. Nylander hasn't played in a while and Ehlers looks like he's heating up and starting to get top line minutes. What's left to discuss? There is no time machine waiting to take you back so you can whisper 'Ehlers is better' in Benning's ear before he walks up to the stage. If you did he would look down his spectacles at you and smirk and then he would walk up on that stage and announce that with the 6th pick in the 2014 draft the Canucks select Jake Virtanen.

There really is no reason for this thread to be as long as it is, but even when he's playing well you're finding ways to criticize. I think it's great and I look forward to saying the same things over and over to you and the others for years to come.

I give up, if anyones  say he's been garbage since he has returned from the WJC then you either dont know how to evaluate players or you are blind.

4 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

While y'all are arguing, how was his play today?? Missed the game

He played well. Had a partical breakaway that hit Fluery in the shoulder (which was a good save) and had a nice shot for a rebound but no one was around to put into the empty net

Edited by Gstank29

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

We all hope Jake becomes an excellent player. But, as guntrix points out, on the basis of measurable performance so far, both Nylander and Ehlers are significantly ahead of Jake at this stage. Nylander is having a fantastic year in the AHL and Ehlers is holding his own in the NHL so far with 18 pts in 47 games while Jake has  while Jake has 5 pts in 25 games. With those numbers at age 19 it is very likely that Ehlers will be a good top 6 forward, while Jake is on a trajectory that looks more like bottom 6. 

So Barkov might love Jake's game, but I am sure that most GMs around the league would take either Nylander or Ehlers ahead of Jake right now.

Significantly ahead of Jake based on what? Ahl production? You must be one of those guys that only looks at points and not much else. You have to take into account the opportunities these guys get on a nightly basis. 

Ehlers averages 14.3 mins per game as of today. But we all know he was averaging 16-17 mins at the start of the year playing with REAL TOP 6 PLAYERS. He had a stretch of 20+ games of doing a whole lot of nothing for his team which hurt them big time so they had to demote him to the third line. Which is why his ice time per game looks skewed. 

Jake on the other hand has been scratched every other game averaging 10 mins of ice time per game AND thats with 4th line players rougly 80% of the time. He isn't being thrown to the wolves they're taking their time with him easing him in which is the right thing to do. Same as Horvat for example. Horvat was labeled as a 3rd liner because of similar reasons as Jake(not getting enough opportunities to produce right away). Jake will earn more ice time prove me right eventually::D 

Edited by Aleksander Barkov

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

We all hope Jake becomes an excellent player. But, as guntrix points out, on the basis of measurable performance so far, both Nylander and Ehlers are significantly ahead of Jake at this stage. Nylander is having a fantastic year in the AHL and Ehlers is holding his own in the NHL so far with 18 pts in 47 games while Jake has  while Jake has 5 pts in 25 games. With those numbers at age 19 it is very likely that Ehlers will be a good top 6 forward, while Jake is on a trajectory that looks more like bottom 6. 

So Barkov might love Jake's game, but I am sure that most GMs around the league would take either Nylander or Ehlers ahead of Jake right now.

So a guy in the AHL putting up points is ahead of Jake who's playing 10 mins a night in the bigs? That's very debatable...  Ehlers is good but he won't be as effective as Jake in a 7 game playoff series. 

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

So a guy in the AHL putting up points is ahead of Jake who's playing 10 mins a night in the bigs? That's very debatable...  Ehlers is good but he won't be as effective as Jake in a 7 game playoff series. 

This is a projection, not a fact.

That is, unless you're psychic. In that case, please tell me the next winning power ball numbers.

Edited by guntrix
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Ehlers is good at is speeding around the outside and getting low % shots on goal not much else

really happy or see Virtanen picking up his game after the WJC. he's been brought along slowly and good on desjardins for doing that for Jake. I feel like he's progressing slower than other prospects that members of this board seems to compare him to. but that's ok. not everyone develops at the same pace. I think Jake is gonna be a fine player for us. a top six forward I say. and yeah. hopefully with offensive flair to an already physical game. hope it develops into a more robust game down the road. he's playing well. we should be happy :) let's see him keep it up against Nashville on Tuesday. 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

really happy or see Virtanen picking up his game after the WJC. he's been brought along slowly and good on desjardins for doing that for Jake. I feel like he's progressing slower than other prospects that members of this board seems to compare him to. but that's ok. not everyone develops at the same pace. I think Jake is gonna be a fine player for us. a top six forward I say. and yeah. hopefully with offensive flair to an already physical game. hope it develops into a more robust game down the road. he's playing well. we should be happy :) let's see him keep it up against Nashville on Tuesday. 

It always seems that the yardstick for measuring players is their ppg stats. What I look at is the progression of the entire roster and how each player will fit as the team is molded towards CUP contention. Virtanen's role will always have a big physical component which has been missing in Van for a long time. Combine that with him being a RW with speed and he is a necessity for this org. How is he progressing? At 19 and playing a quasi physical game I am excited about his prospects. With the experience of this year the ppg stats will go up as he has shown an ability to play the boards and go to the net.

The only thing that could be better would be if Kassian had worked out and Van had to really nicely sized RW's who can skate.  

On Sunday, January 03, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Warhippy said:

Didn't mean for this to be here.

All the losers comparing PPG stats between the three are the same losers who said Nichushkin was the better choice due to his PPG. How smart do they look now?

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

31 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

All the losers comparing PPG stats between the three are the same losers who said Nichushkin was the better choice due to his PPG. How smart do they look now?

fair. Horvat in 117 NHL games has produced so far 47 points according to NHL.com. and Nichushkin has in 155 NHL games 51 points. pretty close. would've thought that the Russian would pull away in terms of points. 

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

fair. Horvat in 117 NHL games has produced so far 47 points according to NHL.com. and Nichushkin has in 155 NHL games 51 points. pretty close. would've thought that the Russian would pull away in terms of points. 

Yup and even without factoring in the quality of players they're playing with, special team times, zone starts. Not to mention the intangibles that Bo brings, just like Jake does with his physicality. Development's a crazy thing, basing how these players are going to end up off their rookie years ppg is hilarious though. So keep trying to prove you're smarter JamesB or guntrix, stroke those egos

• Upvote 4