The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Moj hit on something earlier.

Virtanen grew up bigger than most and was able to dominate physically.  Now he gets to the NHL, he no longer has such a size advantage (last year he was listed at 207).

This year, he comes back and weighs in at 229.  This looks to me like a player who wants to regain his size advantage.

Muscle or not, it's a lot of extra weight to carry around and a person reaches a point where it starts to affect their performance.  I just have to wonder because people like Dave Tomlinson insist that his shoulder is ok.  There are other theories like not playing instinctively because he's thinking through the new system which may better explain his lack lustre performance so far.

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Moj hit on something earlier.

Virtanen grew up bigger than most and was able to dominate physically.  Now he gets to the NHL, he no longer has such a size advantage (last year he was listed at 207).

This year, he comes back and weighs in at 229.  This looks to me like a player who wants to regain his size advantage.

Muscle or not, it's a lot of extra weight to carry around and a person reaches a point where it starts to affect their performance.  I just have to wonder because people like Dave Tomlinson insist that his shoulder is ok.  There are other theories like not playing instinctively because he's thinking through the new system which may better explain his lack lustre performance so far.

He's playing a very defensively sound game.  That's what WD demands from him.  How about Henrik is a MINUS 3?  

He just looks like he's thinking too much instead of just playing. Part of that is likely his age/experience, the pressure of playing in his hometown fishbowl etc. 

Utica would likely due him some good and not really because he's 'not good enough'.

• Upvote 1

Ray Ferraro's analysis of Jake seemed bang on to me. Every time he gets the puck he just get rids of it in a hurry. He is afraid of holding onto the puck and doesn't have the confidence to make plays. Ferraro seems to think players in this situation don't belong in the NHL and I have to say I agree. Let him go to Utica, and work his way back onto the roster. It will give him the confidence when he returns that he truly belongs in the NHL and can make a difference. At this point he is just treading water, and its rather frustrating to watch as the Canucks desperately need him to be a core piece for this franchise.

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

funny-pictures-melodrama-cat.jpg

Come on JR, Alf is on a diet, and this IS NOT HELPING!!!  :lol:

Maybe the choice is to play JV with the Twins or Bo, or send him down?  Who's the best center in Utica?  Zelewski?  I think JV needs to play with a pass first set up guy.

Just now, Alflives said:

Come on JR, Alf is on a diet, and this IS NOT HELPING!!!  :lol:

Maybe the choice is to play JV with the Twins or Bo, or send him down?  Who's the best center in Utica?  Zelewski?  I think JV needs to play with a pass first set up guy.

If it weren't for our injuries, I'd send him down but the 'ruining Virtanen' melodrama is a touch over done IMO.

With Etem back on waivers, I hope we claim him and perhaps that gets Virt sent to Utica sooner than later.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Toews said:

Ray Ferraro's analysis of Jake seemed bang on to me. Every time he gets the puck he just get rids of it in a hurry. He is afraid of holding onto the puck and doesn't have the confidence to make plays. Ferraro seems to think players in this situation don't belong in the NHL and I have to say I agree. Let him go to Utica, and work his way back onto the roster. It will give him the confidence when he returns that he truly belongs in the NHL and can make a difference. At this point he is just treading water, and its rather frustrating to watch as the Canucks desperately need him to be a core piece for this franchise.

The discussion continues. I kind of agreed with keeping him up last year instead of the WHL but I do believe he needs AHL time. Keeping him in Van is putting the teams immediate need in front of what Virtanen can contribute over a career. He has to being playing 18 minutes a game in a pro environment. My fear is that playing the role of a NHLer might engrain itself in a young player who does not fully understand his opportunity.

It's about time management sees that he needs some AHL seasoning. I'm the kids biggest supporter, so I want to see what is best for him being done. Clearly staying up in the NHL is not doing him any favours so it makes me wonder what they're waiting on before they send him down to get some mins on a team where the stakes aren't so high.

I think Jake is injured. This situation reminds me of the Canucks handling of Cody Hodgson.

I think it is pretty safe to say at this point that the back injury ruined Coho's career. whether it was the injury it self being irrepairable or Canuck bungling of its diagnosis is up for debate.

To my eyes Jake has not looked the same since his fight/injury with Bobby Farnham last year.

He looked like a tough guy before that event, but not since.

20 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think Jake is injured. This situation reminds me of the Canucks handling of Cody Hodgson.

I think it is pretty safe to say at this point that the back injury ruined Coho's career. whether it was the injury it self being irrepairable or Canuck bungling of its diagnosis is up for debate.

To my eyes Jake has not looked the same since his fight/injury with Bobby Farnham last year.

He looked like a tough guy before that event, but not since.

Don't blame players poor play on management.  

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Don't blame you players poor play on management.  

What you mean, don't me blame you player poo play on you management?

If me player get develope pooly then me blame you management

If you player get injure cause he too young and should have been in little league me blame you management

If you player get not proper diagnosis from doctor fellows and keep asked to play the heavy game somebody ought blame you management

If you management play 2 player youngest in you big league in year last and both players get stall in developement who you blame?

You management! 

Just now, lmm said:

What you mean, don't me blame you player poo play on you management?

If me player get develope pooly then me blame you management

If you player get injure cause he too young and should have been in little league me blame you management

If you player get not proper diagnosis from doctor fellows and keep asked to play the heavy game somebody ought blame you management

If you management play 2 player youngest in you big league in year last and both players get stall in developement who you blame?

You management! 

And you know all this happened how? oh that's right... you dont. you're just making sad ass excuses. 

Just now, The 5th Line said:

How is it over done?  We are on the 2nd straight season of watching a kid play outside of his comfort zone.  He is getting worse each game it seems 

YEs so true don't wanna see the kid go bust either ,I would send him to Utica for 40-50 games .

• Upvote 1