The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I'm trying not to judge his every move this harshly at this young age, but the words Gallagher and Hologram come to mind watching him on this play.

I feel bad for the guy because I used to watch him play for the Hitmen and it was obvious his coach just didn't coach proper fundamentals. That was the age he needed to learn proper systems and how to play at both ends of the ice.

It's why you can't stress the importance of drafting from good programs enough.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep so lets see how bad he wants it.

So far he's no where close to earning his way back to Vancouver.

If he has to spend two more seasons there after this one to get it then so be it.

I think it might be best to keep him down there next season as well. He needs all the practice and ice time. I think he will turn into a good player for us eventually but it's going to take time. I'm thinking 22-23 till he gets it. 

Trying to stay positive, trying to stay positive, trying to stay positive, trying to stay positive... Think of positive things like Neely, Doan, Kreider, slow starters, power forwards, long development, 6th overall pick being trash because it holds the same value as a solid third liner, 15 goal scorers, top 10 picks outside the top 5 means nothing, attitudes change, people change, STAY POSITIVE. 

...and that's the story of how a CDC'er got institutionalized on a prospect thread. 

But anyways, at least he was trusted with OT time I guess. Was he gassed or something? 

Edited by suitup
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I think it might be best to keep him down there next season as well. He needs all the practice and ice time. I think he will turn into a good player for us eventually but it's going to take time. I'm thinking 22-23 till he gets it. 

Yea I guess we should all just step back from focusing on him for awhile and realize it's probably going to be a long process.

I have no problem with him taking until 22-23 as long as he comes into the league a complete player.

Kind of a weird arbitrary question followed by an arbitrary thought... does anyone have a hunch/guess as to whether Jake is going to be one of those players who has a long healthy career (assuming he gets there)? Something tells me if he is, he might turn out to be pretty good. 

Edited by suitup

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I feel bad for the guy because I used to watch him play for the Hitmen and it was obvious his coach just didn't coach proper fundamentals. That was the age he needed to learn proper systems and how to play at both ends of the ice.

Some people just don't figure it out. It's a weak excuse to blame coaching

29 minutes ago, guntrix said:

He's allowed to be a fan...

Not allowed to be an asshole though.  Especially if he is the designated media guy. Be like if benning wrote a sarcastic thank you to the country of sweden because the sedins missed an assignment...

Edited by Gooseberries

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Some people just don't figure it out. It's a weak excuse to blame coaching

Well if you can give credit to coaching, you can give blame to it too.

It's not a coincidence that Dale Hunter producers NHLer after NHLer. He knows a thing or two about moulding guys into complete players.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Not allowed to be an asshole though.  Especially if he is the designated media guy. Be like if benning wrote a sarcastic thank you to the country of sweden because the sedins missed an assignment...

That's not the official Utica account... that's @CometsArmy. It's a blog (says so in the description). 

The official Utica account is @UticaComets. 

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

That's not the official Utica account... that's @CometsArmy. It's a blog (says so in the description). 

The official Utica account is @UticaComets. 

Ahh. My mistake. People are going to be idiots. Nothing you can do to stop it. I thought it came from like an official account.

On 1/19/2017 at 10:46 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Could you imagine this team with Ehlers and Pastrnak instead of Virtanen and McCann (now Guddy)?

Baertschi - Horvat - Ehlers

Sedin - Sedin - Pastrnak

Other UFA - Sutter - Granlund

Throw in Boeser in a year's time and that's one scary good offensive lineup. Would have been able to save the Eriksson 6M as well.

Jesus, some people are out to lunch in here.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well if you can give credit to coaching, you can give blame to it too.

It's not a coincidence that Dale Hunter producers NHLer after NHLer. He knows a thing or two about moulding guys into complete players.

Saying Jake has issues because his coach in Calgary is like saying Horvat is good because of Dale Hunter.

Coaches can guide and improve but they wont be so much of a factor to make or ruin a career.

Jake is a player we need in the future. It annoys me because he has all the potential in the world. Excellent shot, hard hitting and is built for the playoff grind. However, the kid just doesn't seem to get it. He needs to learn how to be a professional at times according to teammates. I get it he's 20, high draft pick to his hometown team he likes being in the spot light, but he has to realize he isn't good enough to beat out Megna or Skille for a roster spot. THAT SAYS SOMETHING. He is constantly in and out of shape. And does anyone notice he leaves his line mates in the middle of his shift and goes to the bench. Next thing that frustrates me is as mentioned by other posters he looks lost out there. He is getting told to play a structured game, but he doesn't know where to go and is often times out of the play completely. He's trying too hard and isn't playing naturally. Next you would think the Canucks and Utica would help him out and play him at LEFT WING were he was most successful and had good angles to score. But ever since we drafted him he has played right wing. I don't know if thats causes his offensive totals to be down and him to look lost out there or what. I am sure curious tho if they switched him to LW for 10-15 games to see what he can do.

3 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Jake is a player we need in the future. It annoys me because he has all the potential in the world. Excellent shot, hard hitting and is built for the playoff grind. However, the kid just doesn't seem to get it. He needs to learn how to be a professional at times according to teammates. I get it he's 20, high draft pick to his hometown team he likes being in the spot light, but he has to realize he isn't good enough to beat out Megna or Skille for a roster spot. THAT SAYS SOMETHING. He is constantly in and out of shape. And does anyone notice he leaves his line mates in the middle of his shift and goes to the bench. Next thing that frustrates me is as mentioned by other posters he looks lost out there. He is getting told to play a structured game, but he doesn't know where to go and is often times out of the play completely. He's trying too hard and isn't playing naturally. Next you would think the Canucks and Utica would help him out and play him at LEFT WING were he was most successful and had good angles to score. But ever since we drafted him he has played right wing. I don't know if thats causes his offensive totals to be down and him to look lost out there or what. I am sure curious tho if they switched him to LW for 10-15 games to see what he can do.

i wonder why he's not playing his more natural position?? 

53 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Saying Jake has issues because his coach in Calgary is like saying Horvat is good because of Dale Hunter.

Coaches can guide and improve but they wont be so much of a factor to make or ruin a career.

Ask Horvat how much of an impact Hunter had him and you'll have all you need to know.

Developing bad habits at 16, 17, and 18, can shape what type of player they'll be.

Bo is a good two way player because Hunter coached him to be a good two way player. Yes he worked hard, but he had great guidance from a legendary junior coach.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ask Horvat how much of an impact Hunter had him and you'll have all you need to know.

Developing bad habits at 16, 17, and 18, can shape what type of player they'll be.

Bo is a good two way player because Hunter coached him to be a good two way player. Yes he worked hard, but he had great guidance from a legendary junior coach.

imagine where Jake would be had he gone to London instead of Calgary. 

2 hours ago, suitup said:

Kind of a weird arbitrary question followed by an arbitrary thought... does anyone have a hunch/guess as to whether Jake is going to be one of those players who has a long healthy career (assuming he gets there)? Something tells me if he is, he might turn out to be pretty good. 

well..he had shoulder surgery in his draft year 2014 and missed about 4 months and then reinjured it again...I dont think he has been the same since..he seems to back off on the hits where as he would hit anything that moved before he got hurt...

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is bang-on I think, and a big difference between guys like Virtanen who aren't NHL ready straight away and say Stecher who jumps into the big league immediately. Sure Stecher's been playing longer, but he is fundamentally more sound than most of our defencemen already and that all comes down to great coaching early on in their careers.

I don't know what the scout's jobs are but I hope this is one of them because it ends up being pretty clear at the NHL level who's had the fundamentals taught to them and who hasn't.

10 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Just saw that.  It's not good for a guys confidence but that is not entirely all on Jake like Utica Army poster says.  Goalie wasn't even close to ready, he got mugged stick checked and sniped.  Yes it's on him to be mroe aggressive but to say it's ALL hs fault when for 60+ other minutes a 22 man squad couldn't pot more than 1 goal is a bit of a toss off to blame just Jake.

In vancouver we've had a lot of goals like that, back breakers.

Hammer choked up this puck in 2012 against LA.  Remember that?  at the 10:47 mark  Is it Hammers fault?  Salo's?  Schnieder?

Team game.

Edited by Warhippy