The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ain't gonna happen.

These are the types of unrealistic expectations that put too much pressure on these young guys. At this stage if Virtanen becomes a physical 3rd liner who can score 15-20 that will be considered a success to me.

Jake scoring 15-20 and being a third liner is almost unrealistic at this point.  He is really not showing to be an NHL player.  If he wasn't a recent top pick would he even be on the Comets?  Heck, with his play he would be in Alaska if he was a later round pick.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ain't gonna happen.

These are the types of unrealistic expectations that put too much pressure on these young guys. At this stage if Virtanen becomes a physical 3rd liner who can score 15-20 that will be considered a success to me.

I wish I am a betting man - then I would have at least 15 years to prove you wrong, and I would like my chances with Virtanen with the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I was listening to Ray F. on tsn and he said that the AHL is not that easy a league to score in when talking about Virtanen and that he agreed with TG. assessment of how well Virtanen was doing.

good news especially if it's coming from RF. he can be quite the honest critic at times. so i'm glad to hear that he thinks Jake is doing well. 

23 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

leave jake alone. 

he becomes whatever ever he becomes as a player. no harm to you or anyone else on these boards. lmao. leave the kid alone and give him time to prove what he can or cannot do. 

I don't understand N4zzy. Someody calls him Jake Virtanbust out of nowhere, and then I chime in and you single me out? I am allowed to call Jake Virtanen a bust at this point in his life. He is the 6th overall pick, the guy we got as a consolation for the $&!#ty Torts year. We could have had so many other good players, but we chose this one. He is a bust. He can't put up points professionally. He has been terrible defensively in the NHL. He rarely looks like he is trying (based on NHL games), he doesn't hit that much, even though that is one of the reasons why he was drafted. He hangs out with Justin Bieber. Embarrassing. It should all outrage you that this guy is a part of our team and the fact that we could have Nylander or Ehlers. I just don't understand how anyone could be satisfied with the position Jake Virtanen finds himself within the organization. He is probably (hopefully) trade bait as soon as his stock rises, god willing. 

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

People can talk about him however they want, this is a public forum and people are here to leave their own opinions.  If you don't like it, stop coming in to this thread, maybe delete your account and stop logging on all together.  The same goes for all of you who can't handle a little bit of criticism or difference of opinion.  It's getting so tiresome listening to the same old garbage  "let the kid play"  "leave him alone"  "Todd Bertuzzi"  blah blah blah.  

You think I don't watch Comets games?  You are actually going to sit there and tell me his game is improving?  He still floats, he makes his linemates do the dirty work, he still can't cycle, the puck still dies on his stick in the offensive zone unless he is on a rush down the wing and has no other option then to shoot, his physicality has actually dropped off SIGNIFICANTLY, he still takes dumb penalties, he still doesn't have the coaches trust, he is still a pylon on the powerplay(when given an opportunity).  He is floating less now then he was in the NHL I will admit that, but I damn well hope he would work harder knowing that his next demotion would have him smack down in Kalamazoo or Alaska or wherever it is they send our garbage players.  Might as well be Madagascar.  Canuckledraggin the genius letting everybody know that a 20 year old player is "improving".  Duuhhh, usually kids improve at things if they keep working at.  He hasn't show enough skills to make anyone think he will be an impact player, I don't care how much he keeps improving.  This is a 6th overall pick and he's improving his game?  He's at .30 PPG right now.. as opposed to what?  .20 PPG?  

I remember during his NHL season people were actually trying to tell me that it just looks like he's floating but in reality he is just in really good position at all times so it just looks like he isn't trying hard...good god, people will say literally anything to try and defend a Canuck player.  

Nobody is saying he won't make the NHL other than "Horvats Big Head (this guy needs to be banned) they are simply explaining how and why it is highly unlikely at this point that he will become anything more than a 4th liner.  when are you guys going to get this through your head?  Guntrix owned like 5 of you in a matter of a couple hours, using more than fair analysis, statistics and insight but yet you guys keep coming back with the same old garbage  "Todd Bertuzzi this, Todd Bertuzzi that".  Come up with some new material already.  \

Jake will score two goals tomorrow.  Book it

I actually like this post, even though I don't agree with most of it - other than Horvats Big Head needing to be banned. +1

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

I don't understand N4zzy. Someody calls him Jake Virtanbust out of nowhere, and then I chime in and you single me out? I am allowed to call Jake Virtanen a bust at this point in his life. He is the 6th overall pick, the guy we got as a consolation for the $&!#ty Torts year. We could have had so many other good players, but we chose this one. He is a bust. He can't put up points professionally. He has been terrible defensively in the NHL. He rarely looks like he is trying (based on NHL games), he doesn't hit that much, even though that is one of the reasons why he was drafted. He hangs out with Justin Bieber. Embarrassing. It should all outrage you that this guy is a part of our team and the fact that we could have Nylander or Ehlers. I just don't understand how anyone could be satisfied with the position Jake Virtanen finds himself within the organization. He is probably (hopefully) trade bait as soon as his stock rises, god willing. 

It's embarassing he hangs out with celebrities

But

You have a weird lust for an androgynous swedish boy

Hmmm

Still don't understand the Sedin comparison... it's as if one person mentioned it and everyone clinged onto it.

Daniel's point totals during the first four seasons before blowing up:

Henrik's point totals during the first four seasons before blowing up:

As you can see, they were more than decent. Can someone explain how this comparison is even remotely accurate (of course, other than the fact that the Sedins started relatively slow).

5 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Still don't understand the Sedin comparison... it's as if one person mentioned it and everyone clinged onto it.

Daniel's point totals during the first four seasons before blowing up:

Henrik's point totals during the first four seasons before blowing up:

As you can see, they were more than decent. Can someone explain how this comparison is even remotely accurate (of course, other than the fact that the Sedins started relatively slow).

Eh there are other considerations involved such as the sedins had a strong push towards offensive minutes and power play time. Jake less so. Hard to get points when you get 8-10 minutes a night and hard to get more minutes when your not 100% ready for the NHL.

anyways it's not necessarily a comparison to virtanen but an underlying point in that development takes varying times and while it's silly to be overly bullish on a developing prospect it's more so to be outright done with the prospect.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, goblix said:

Eh there are other considerations involved such as the sedins had a strong push towards offensive minutes and power play time. Jake less so. Hard to get points when you get 8-10 minutes a night and hard to get more minutes when your not 100% ready for the NHL.

anyways it's not necessarily a comparison to virtanen but an underlying point in that development takes varying times and while it's silly to be overly bullish on a developing prospect it's more so to be outright done with the prospect.

It seems as though some people have the mentality of "throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks" type of prospect development. If they don't stick, aka put up big points as soon as possible, then to trash bin with the lot of ya! I am, however, going to hold firm that there is positives in Virtanen's game that if made consistent and well rounded could be quite dominant at times and exactly what this team needs. I don't think you can say after watching the video below of Virtanen that we wouldn't want to see that every game. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Jake scoring 15-20 and being a third liner is almost unrealistic at this point.  He is really not showing to be an NHL player.  If he wasn't a recent top pick would he even be on the Comets?  Heck, with his play he would be in Alaska if he was a later round pick.  

Yah look at this 20 year old bust... And yes this is the NHL he's doing this in....

Edited by hearditall
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, bohoforpresident said:

@The 5th Line 

Guntrix owned 5 people in talking about a prospect?

Players might have similar stats and skill sets, but that can only be used for 'comparing' players , or making a 'potential' 'projection'.  None of those words are definitive. We can only wait and see.

Clearly 5th is more concerned about "owning" people then actually having a meaningful discussion.  Congratulations for "winning" at CDC.

• Upvote 1