The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Elliotte Freidman wrote this earlier today about Tryamkin.

Wish we had more professional journalists like him here Vancouver who report the facts and leave their personal opinions in-check so as not to distort situations, or start fires that burn team fan bases.

Tired of the Grand Poohbahs of radio and paper alike thinking they can Captain a ship, let alone build one.

Freidman reports these facts:

With some time to make a few calls, here’s what I can glean on Vancouver defender Nikita Tryamkin. He has admitted he made a mistake by showing up out of shape. That disappointed the Canucks who were counting on him after he showed real promise in last season’s 13-game NHL debut. The club wanted him to stay in B.C. all summer, but he needed to go home for legitimate personal reasons. (Agent Mark Gandler declined to comment, saying only, he “doesn’t have a problem with how Vancouver is handling this” and didn’t want to inflame the situation.)

1704050871_4797067089001_4797012360001-v

There is an agreement in his contract that says he can go back to Russia if the Canucks want to send him to the AHL, and he remains steadfast on that point. GM Jim Benning did try to negotiate a deal with Tryamkin’s KHL club, that the player could go back as long as he’d return if Vancouver needed him, but that was a non-starter for Yekaterinburg. So, he’s practicing to get in shape. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the Canucks are going to need him and soon. They are already hurting on the blue line, and history shows they need 12 defencemen a year.

4. In a search for creative solutions, one agent suggested Vancouver asks Tryamkin to go to the AHL for a conditioning stint, with a promise that he will be in the NHL lineup on a certain date. He wondered if that would work.

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

People are worrying far too much about the "Tryamkin situation" IMO. It is what it is. 

He'll get in to shape. We'll have injuries.

Highly likely you are right. Since Tryamkin can opt out back to the KHL at anytime I cannot see the problem of playing 2 weeks in Utica. Not being able to 'sell' that to him by management is not positive. Bottom line is this is not a playoff team and the time to develop Tryamkin is well worth the effort. Tanev, Beiga, Erickson and Stecher are not big enough to stand up to NHL regular season let alone playoff hockey. I am not suggesting that they cannot play but the existing d-core has to get bigger.

It is so obvious to me that NHL teams playing Van still want a physical game as they know that doing so is their best way to win. Regular season play simply confirms this situation and playoffs amplify it as per the Calgary series. Also think this is a reason why Virtanen is still here and not in Utica where he needs to be.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Highly likely you are right. Since Tryamkin can opt out back to the KHL at anytime I cannot see the problem of playing 2 weeks in Utica. Not being able to 'sell' that to him by management is not positive.

That's really the issue IMO. Not sure if it's a communication issue or what though. Really, his agent etc need to get through to him on that point. He's either getting bad advice or advice isn't being communicated to him clearly/he's misunderstanding it.

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I wonder how Toronto fans reacted to the benching of Corrado last season. He didn't get into game action for months after they picked him up. Is it really that big of a deal to hold a roster spot for him? Vancouver media is in full on panic mode over who gets to sit in the press box... I'm confused again:huh:

Because this canvass and media over hype guys like Corrado and when they actually see them in NHL action they yell about something else.

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I wonder how Toronto fans reacted to the benching of Corrado last season. He didn't get into game action for months after they picked him up. Is it really that big of a deal to hold a roster spot for him? Vancouver media is in full on panic mode over who gets to sit in the press box... I'm confused again:huh:

True, but FC didn't refuse to go to the AHL for a two week conditioning stint.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True, but FC didn't refuse to go to the AHL for a two week conditioning stint.  

Corrado doesn't have any bargaining power and didn't sign a conditional deal that said he wouldn't go to the AHL either. I do think it's misguided of him, but I watched the Comets game today and I gotta say that I'm not sure how many good habits he could learn there. The play is slow, scrambly and players are out of position all over the ice.

Why not dress 7 defensemen and at least see how out of shape he is? There are enough workhorses on this team that could fill in for a missing forward. Did he really look completely out of shape in the pre-season? Those were games that he played in right? His speed might have been lacking on the backcheck a couple times and maybe you could attribute that to his wind, but he is a true giant. He may never have the stamina to be a #1 D-man.

For now it's workout, practice and skate hard everyday. Eventually he will be ready to play.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Corrado doesn't have any bargaining power and didn't sign a conditional deal that said he wouldn't go to the AHL either. I do think it's misguided of him, but I watched the Comets game today and I gotta say that I'm not sure how many good habits he could learn there. The play is slow, scrambly and players are out of position all over the ice.

Why not dress 7 defensemen and at least see how out of shape he is? There are enough workhorses on this team that could fill in for a missing forward. Did he really look completely out of shape in the pre-season? Those were games that he played in right? His speed might have been lacking on the backcheck a couple times and maybe you could attribute that to his wind, but he is a true giant. He may never have the stamina to be a #1 D-man.

For now it's workout, practice and skate hard everyday. Eventually he will be ready to play.

Didn't Ferraro say there is no way to sharpen to game speed other than actually playing? 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't Ferraro say there is no way to sharpen to game speed other than actually playing? 

I fully agree. That's why I'd play him now and why he should have played against either LA or Anaheim. I guarantee when he gets out there and starts playing he's going to be able to play his way into game shape. People are going to be scratching their heads saying why the hell did it take so long, he doesn't look that bad. Just dress 7 D-men. Are you telling me the other forwards couldn't play those 7 minutes that WD is giving Virtanen?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I fully agree. That's why I'd play him now and why he should have played against either LA or Anaheim. I guarantee when he gets out there and starts playing he's going to be able to play his way into game shape. People are going to be scratching their heads saying why the hell did it take so long, he doesn't look that bad. Just dress 7 D-men. Are you telling me the other forwards couldn't play those 7 minutes that WD is giving Virtanen?

Why not simply sit Sbisa for a game and play Tryamkin.

Do you think this would  reduce our chances of winning the Stanley Cup this year....   

LOL - our club is going to finish 25th -30th   regardless of whether Sbisa or Tryamkin draws into the lineup.

We need a coaching  / management team that is committed to development of our prospects.

If  Willie isn't up to the job -  lets gets rid of him. 

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

People are worrying far too much about the "Tryamkin situation" IMO. It is what it is. 

He'll get in to shape. We'll have injuries.

Problem is..is that you cannot just go from practice,straight into an NHL game.......He hasn't played a game in weeks....He could get exposed badly.

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

That's really the issue IMO. Not sure if it's a communication issue or what though. Really, his agent etc need to get through to him on that point. He's either getting bad advice or advice isn't being communicated to him clearly/he's misunderstanding it.

He doesn't want to leave his Girlfriend..

Of course there's a lot more to it, and I'll chalk that up as common knowledge at this point.

Edited by Western Red

I have to admit I am mightily impressed by the handling of this situation by the Canucks. 

Its like (for different reasons) when they dealt with Kassian. It's discreet. They did not call him out publically. Nor was he gifted free time on ice. In fact his ass is stapled to the power bike behind the press box. They have just dealt with it accountably & professionally.

Yet it was equally offset by the fact they know we can really use / need Tryamkin.  All avenues to get him in shape & ice time, including requesting a conditioning stint. Wile still retaining his rights have been taken on. Even offering him on loan back to the KHL. As per Friedman, even the player & his agent are appreciative of the handling.  

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

WTH is that common sense? Stop that stuff it's making my eyes cross.

• Upvote 1