The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Last thing I heard was that he was "thinking "of signing an extension to stay in the KHL for another year ...before that I heard he wanted a one way contract with the Canucks to come over, that way he gets 800k/yr or so even if he plays with the Comets all year.

If that's the case Benning has to be confident he can make the team or it doesn't make sense to rush him over here.

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Last thing I heard was that he was "thinking "of signing an extension to stay in the KHL for another year ...before that I heard he wanted a one way contract with the Canucks to come over, that way he gets 800k/yr or so even if he plays with the Comets all year.

If that's the case Benning has to be confident he can make the team or it doesn't make sense to rush him over here.

From the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement:

9.4 Minor League Compensation. Each SPC entered into with a Rookie in the Entry Level

System shall automatically be deemed to be a "two way" SPC with a minor league salary equal

to the Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary set forth in such SPC or, if no minor league salary is set

forth, the greater of (i) $35,000 and (ii) the minimum minor league salary provided for Players in

the Minors; provided, however, in no event may such an SPC provide for minor league

compensation, including any bonuses for games played, greater than the amount indicated on the

following chart:

<there follows a chart which makes the current maximum elc minor league salary $70,000 where the player is drafted in any year from 2011 to 2022>

A Group 1 Player may not contract for or receive any bonuses for minor league service other

than a games played bonus.

The maximum compensation payable to a Group 1 Player who is playing in the Major Juniors

shall be U.S. $10,500 per League Year.

14 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

After a few KHL seasons I can see why he wants a one way but I would hope he has enough confidence that he would want to make a move to the best hockey league in the world. His agent is a fool if he does not see the opportunity in Van for his client to nail a spot down on a weak roster. Hopefully he is talking to Pedan.

14 hours ago, tyhee said:

From the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement:

9.4 Minor League Compensation. Each SPC entered into with a Rookie in the Entry Level

System shall automatically be deemed to be a "two way" SPC with a minor league salary equal

to the Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary set forth in such SPC or, if no minor league salary is set

forth, the greater of (i) $35,000 and (ii) the minimum minor league salary provided for Players in

the Minors; provided, however, in no event may such an SPC provide for minor league

compensation, including any bonuses for games played, greater than the amount indicated on the

following chart:

<there follows a chart which makes the current maximum elc minor league salary $70,000 where the player is drafted in any year from 2011 to 2022>

A Group 1 Player may not contract for or receive any bonuses for minor league service other

than a games played bonus.

The maximum compensation payable to a Group 1 Player who is playing in the Major Juniors

shall be U.S. $10,500 per League Year.

I'm no lawyer...but I play one on CDC... now find the part that tells us about the exceptions like 22 year old prof. players from the KHL....what's a rookie...etc.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

After a few KHL seasons I can see why he wants a one way but I would hope he has enough confidence that he would want to make a move to the best hockey league in the world. His agent is a fool if he does not see the opportunity in Van for his client to nail a spot down on a weak roster. Hopefully he is talking to Pedan.

"So ah Andrei, how do you like being with Vancouver?"

"Well Nikita, it's just great. They call you up a lot just so you can eat popcorn and watch the game. They keep playing this Swiss shrimp although I'm not sure why. They might play you as forward though! Overall 10/10 you should sign, the opportunities are great."

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I'm no lawyer...but I play one on CDC... now find the part that tells us about the exceptions like 22 year old prof. players from the KHL....what's a rookie...etc.

Rookie is defined in Article 1 as a player who has never signed a standard player contract.  i.e.the quoted section applies to players signing their first standard player contract.

You're right in figuring there is an exception.  It is set out in Article 9.1(b) for European players signing a first standard player contract at the age of 28 or more, so if Tryamkin avoids signing an NHL contract until 2022 he can come over on a 1-way deal.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, tyhee said:

Rookie is defined in Article 1 as a player who has never signed a standard player contract.  i.e.the quoted section applies to players signing their first standard player contract.

You're right in figuring there is an exception.  It is set out in Article 9.1(b) for European players signing a first standard player contract at the age of 28 or more, so if Tryamkin avoids signing an NHL contract until 2022 he can come over on a 1-way deal.

Thanks for all the research...next time I need a lawyer I know who to call.

...sounds like Tryamkin is going to have to take his chances on a much lower salary or sign in the KHL for another year.

^

Or he could just play on the Canucks when he comes over. It's a bit pre-mature to be projecting whats going to happen several months from now when his KHL contract expires. Would he accept a deal that paid him a minor league salary to play in the AHL for a month or so? It's possible. Are the Canucks going to need another D-man at that time due to injury? Possibly. Does he just want to stay in his home country and play for Rubles? Also possible.

On December 22, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Delta76 said:

"So ah Andrei, how do you like being with Vancouver?"

"Well Nikita, it's just great. They call you up a lot just so you can eat popcorn and watch the game. They keep playing this Swiss shrimp although I'm not sure why. They might play you as forward though! Overall 10/10 you should sign, the opportunities are great."

Great except they will likely converse in Russian.

On 2015-12-22 at 3:02 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Thanks for all the research...next time I need a lawyer I know who to call.

...sounds like Tryamkin is going to have to take his chances on a much lower salary or sign in the KHL for another year.

If only the NHL can make exceptions with ELC on players from other professional leagues in Europe.  Chances are those players coming after a contract or two from the SEL or KHL are usually at least mid-20's and probably with families.  It's a tough choice to potentially cut 50-75% of your salary just to chase a maybe. 

On December 22, 2015 at 2:41 PM, tyhee said:

Can't the Canucks give him a one way deal regardless, and then puff up the base salary with incentives, which or so easily attainable (games played) to ensure the guy gets paid well - 3 mil?

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

he may never come over. lol. 

I was watching a Canucks YouTube video yesterday, it was the one that showed him signing his contract with Benning. He said he really wants to take his game to the next level and play in the NHL, so I'm sure he'll end up in North America one way or another.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Can't the Canucks give him a one way deal regardless, and then puff up the base salary with incentives, which or so easily attainable (games played) to ensure the guy gets paid well - 3 mil?

No, the people who drafted the collective bargaining agreement covered it by placing limits on what bonuses are available and setting a maximum total remuneration including bonuses.  Realistically it would have been shocking if the people who wrote the CBA were so inept as to leave that kind of opening.

Total NHL compensation (not just salary, but total compensation including salary, signing bonus and games played bonus) can't exceed $925,000.  (Article 9.3(a).)  Total minor league compensation including bonuses cannot exceed $70,000 (Article 9.4, which I quoted earlier in this thread.) 

The performance bonuses permitted in the NHL are limited to a total aggregate amount of $212,500 and are in Exhibit 5 of the CBA.  For defencemen the minimum required to get a performance bonus is set out as being in the top 4 d-men in total ice time or in ice time per game while playing 42 or more games, for scoring at least 10 goals, for scoring at least 25 assists, for getting at least 40 points or at least .49 ppg over the season while playing at least 42 games, for being in the top 3 d-men in +/- (playing at least 42 games), Peformance bonuses are permitted for 20 goals, for 35 assists, for 60 points, for .73 ppg over at least 42 games, for being in the top 3 forwards in +/- over the season while playing at least 42 games, for being in the top 2 d-men on his team in blocked shots (42 games required,) for making the All-Rookie team, for playing in the All-Star game and for being MVP in the All-Star game.

Those aren't easily attainable bonuses and the total given in performance bonuses can't exceed $212,500, so they can't get him anywhere near $3 million (or anywhere near $2 million, for that matter.)

Edited by tyhee

53 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I was watching a Canucks YouTube video yesterday, it was the one that showed him signing his contract with Benning. He said he really wants to take his game to the next level and play in the NHL, so I'm sure he'll end up in North America one way or another.

you can only hope right. I hope he comes over to North America and to the AHL as well. but like most Russians out there. there seems to be a sense of entitlement. generally speaking. and not saying this about every and all Russian players out there. but some of them seem to not want to go through the AHL and demand to be in the NHL immediately. even if management doesn't think it's warranted or a good idea. I hope Tryamkin has a better posture and attitude towards the game and towards Canuck management. I hope he works with the organization instead of make demands. we shall see eventually. 

Edited by N4ZZY

Tryamkin could be a game changer if he came over and actually made the team. Is KHL experience could be positive but the concern would be how well that translates to the NHL. I rather he had played junior in Canada. As I said if he made the Canucks it would change the look of the defense in a big way.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Stop shining sun on his pity party.