The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you want the lines to look next game with Kass & Hansen back healthy?

TheRussianRocket.

I'd bench Bonino on Sunday vs the Ducks.

I don't think it's good for our teams image if he undresses the ducks defence and rapes them during hometown hockey. The nhl already hates us enough. Plus it's a 5pm start and kids will be watching.

Jokes aside, it'll be tough to decide. We have lots of depth forwards. Definitely more than 2011 even. I think we need to trade someone for a dman. As for who sits, I'll leave it to Willie.

Hansen is fast, but has hands of stone. Hansen should be gone and problem solved. We have far to mutch AHL talent comeing up, that can score.

4-5 years and we are real cup contenders again !

Correction, fans THINK they have up and coming talent in the AHL...think is the operative word. Hansen on the other hand is a proven NHL player. If I recall rightly his impact when he moved from the AHL to the NHL he was in 50 games 21+22, so the likes of Jensen + Gaunce + Shinkaruk better put it into gear to emulate Hansen

I like the 3rd line. Matthias - Richardson - Vey / Kassian.

I think that Vey brings speed, skill and quickness which the other 2 don't bring. Matthias has size and is the power forward, he is fast (as opposed to quick / agile).

Kassian brings skill and size and skating which works well too. But there is already a size / power forward component to the line. We all want Kassian to be the power forward but is he really going to show it night in night out. He has the skill to be top 6 but what keeps him from playing there is between his ears.

Which brings me to the 2nd line. Bonino is really a 3rd liner at this point in his career but is playing on the 2nd because he is the 2nd best centre the Canucks have. He does mostly ok but disappears offensively for stretches especially when playing against physically demanding teams (as you would expect for a guy playing a little above his level -- Higgins is like this too). I think that he would benefit greatly working with a power forward who can take some of the physical pressure off him. In an ideal world this is Kassian because I don't think that Matthias has the skill for a top 6 role. However, Kassian is going to have to earn his place in the top 6 and show that he's willing to take that role and pay the price. Since he has been watching Matthias embrace and begin to excel in this role, hopefully he is learning something. Vey won't fit on the 2nd line as it is constructed and like Bonino, will benefit from playing with a bigger player.

To answer the question, Kassian goes back on the 3rd line if WD thinks he offers more than Vey. And unfortunately, Vey is the odd man out imo. It will be interesting to see what Willie does.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Hansen (Kassian one day)

Matthias - Richardson - Kassian (Vey when Kassian wakes up)

Dorset - Horvat - Burrows

Any word on when Kassian is returning? I wonder if Canucks will try to send him down to the AHL for a 2 week conditioning sprint. May be good for him. Get some goals and confidence back after the injuries.

Good comment. I would like to see Kassian sent to Utica on a conditioning assignment. There is certainly no need to rush him back.

If Hanson is ready, he of course goes back in and Sestito goes to the press box.

The "4th line" of Horvat between Burrows and Dorsett looked very good and will not change for now. The first line is obviously set. Vey has looked good with Bonino and Higgins on the second line, and a third line of Richardson between Matthias and Hanson is solid enough to play shutdown (now that Matthais has improved his defensive game).

That is what I would like to see. I agree that the real choice is between Vey and Kassian. Almost everyone on CDC favors Kassian, but I think it is a close call and right now Vey is more reliable and more dangerous offensively. But someone is almost always hurt or needs to be rested so both Kassian and Vey will get a good shot and the result could go either way.

Good comment. I would like to see Kassian sent to Utica on a conditioning assignment. There is certainly no need to rush him back.

If Hanson is ready, he of course goes back in and Sestito goes to the press box.

The "4th line" of Horvat between Burrows and Dorsett looked very good and will not change for now. The first line is obviously set. Vey has looked good with Bonino and Higgins on the second line, and a third line of Richardson between Matthias and Hanson is solid enough to play shutdown (now that Matthais has improved his defensive game).

That is what I would like to see. I agree that the real choice is between Vey and Kassian. Almost everyone on CDC favors Kassian, but I think it is a close call and right now Vey is more reliable and more dangerous offensively. But someone is almost always hurt or needs to be rested so both Kassian and Vey will get a good shot and the result could go either way.

The choice between kassian and vey is not even close.

We're about to play anahm, sjs, lak.

We need our one big hitter in the lineup asap.

Dorsett's a hitter but he's not big.

The coach doesnt trust sestito.

Matthias only hits when he can't get out of the way in time.

Kass is the only big physical threat we have up front.

Vey is not an upgrade as far as offensive ability.

He coughs up the puck like a pez dispenser in the o zone.

don't get me wrong tho, I like him and think he'll be a solid winger in future.

Kass was able to work on his conditioning since he had a broken finger.

We need him to get in there and get his nhl timing down quickly.

I'm very intrigued by the Matthias-Bonino-Kassian line I've seen suggested by a few posters. I'd love to see if those guys could click together.

I'd also like to see Hansen and Burrows reunited, and centered by Horvat, to see if they could recapture what they had years ago when Kesler used to play between them.

Which, I suppose, would leave Higgins-Richardson-Dorsett/Vey and Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata.

Honestly, I can't see WD scrambling the lines that much, but I'd be interested to see how those guys would play together, if given the chance.

I like this, I would sit Vey over Dorsett. It would be interesting to see... I am not sure about Matthias-Bonino-Kassian. If we could get these guys producing as our 2nd line that would be awesome.

The biggest advantage Kassian has over Vey is his size and physical presence. This is what Kassian needs to learn to exploit together with focusing on the game better. If he can do this, he will have a long career in a top 6 role.

This. It's a matter of our coaching staff figuring out what makes him tick between his ears for him to understand what he needs to bring to the ice game in game out. They've done wonders with Edler this year, here's hoping they can do the same with a healthy Kassian.

Anyone who wants Kassian to step onto the 2nd line wants him to fail. He isn't going to come back from this long of a layoff and step into the 2nd line people. It isn't going to happen. He left as a 3rd line player. When he comes back he either slots onto the 3rd or 4th lines with Burrows likely moving back up to 2nd or to the 3rd line.

Asking a kid who rarely shows consistency to step into a role that requires him to score before he even has his legs back is asking him to fail. I would start him on the 4th line with Horvat & Dorsett. Play him there through the Cali trip to get him back up to game speed. In my opinion, that line would be hell for any of the other teams 4th lines to match and is big enough and fast enough to handle any other matchups.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Burrows/Hansen

Matthias-Richardson-Burrows/Hansen

Vey/Dorsett-Horvat-Kassian

Preferably Kassian would be sent to Utica to get his legs, but if that doesn't happen then Vey or Dorsett would be the likely candidates to sit one out. It's a tough decision for WD because there aren't many guys who have earned the press box.

Anyone who wants Kassian to step onto the 2nd line wants him to fail. He isn't going to come back from this long of a layoff and step into the 2nd line people. It isn't going to happen. He left as a 3rd line player. When he comes back he either slots onto the 3rd or 4th lines with Burrows likely moving back up to 2nd or to the 3rd line.

Asking a kid who rarely shows consistency to step into a role that requires him to score before he even has his legs back is asking him to fail. I would start him on the 4th line with Horvat & Dorsett. Play him there through the Cali trip to get him back up to game speed. In my opinion, that line would be hell for any of the other teams 4th lines to match and is big enough and fast enough to handle any other matchups.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Burrows/Hansen

Matthias-Richardson-Burrows/Hansen

Vey/Dorsett-Horvat-Kassian

Preferably Kassian would be sent to Utica to get his legs, but if that doesn't happen then Vey or Dorsett would be the likely candidates to sit one out. It's a tough decision for WD because there aren't many guys who have earned the press box.

Good stuff here. I agree that if he doesn't slot into the 4th he absolutely should go for a stint in Utica. I really don't agree with him playing inconsistent hockey and then bouncing up to the 2nd line "because he deserves a chance". He deserves a chance how exactly?

My interpretation of the way Benning has brought in assets is he wants players who play hard, every night. I just havent seen that from Kassian on a consistent basis.

Archived