The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] MLSE approves major Leafs rebuild; "Mr.Phaneuf & Mr.Kessel are not in the plan"

I love how Clarkson just wasn't mentioned.

They're loaded with incredibly bad, costly, long-term contracts. I'm going to go ahead and assume there are a lot of NTCs as well. There's low demand for Kessel and Phaneuf (will need to take salary no matter what), no demand for Clarkson, and they have no valuable assets outside of their new 'core'. Their goalies are all mediocre and their prospect pool is barely worth mentioning.

Also, they have the highest ticket prices in the league.

And they expect Nonis and Shanahan to pull this miracle off?

I for one am looking forward to many more years of suffering for the Leafs.

Meh, if TOR was willing to keep 1.5-2 mill (would make Kessel a 6 or 6.5 Million player), i bet there would be huge interest.

Kessel has one of the best releases in the game. I'd honsetly classify him as a top 10 goalscorer in the NHL atm. I'm pretty sure he's up there in goals scored since the lockout.. The guy is really good, you just can't build a team around him; he's not a franchise player, but a fantastic complementary player. Yeah he's pretty one-dimensional, i know, but so are most elite goal-scorers (Patty Kane is brutal defensively).

Call me crazy, but i would trade for Kessel if the price wasn't too stupid.

I'm not sure what makes you think this. The reason the GTA always comes up in expansion talks is because the area could easily support another team, even an expansion team.

Leafs fans absolutely would support a rebuild, IMO. They've actually been waiting longer than we have for a Cup.

This isn't Vancouver we're talking about. Toronto has hockey fans, not just winning hockey fans.

So you are either

a. Just a winning hockey fan

b. trolling for giggles

c. Completely ignorant of the fact that making a generalized inference of canuck fans, you as a canuck fan just insulted your own dedication to this team win or lose.

So you are either

b. trolling for giggles

c. Completely ignorant of the fact that making a generalized inference of canuck fans, you as a canuck fan just insulted your own dedication to this team win or lose.

Hate the Leafs but their fans come out and actually cheer at games. At Canucks games it's worse than a funeral sometimes.

Meh, if TOR was willing to keep 1.5-2 mill (would make Kessel a 6 or 6.5 Million player), i bet there would be huge interest.

Kessel has one of the best releases in the game. I'd honsetly classify him as a top 10 goalscorer in the NHL atm. I'm pretty sure he's up there in goals scored since the lockout.. The guy is really good, you just can't build a team around him; he's not a franchise player, but a fantastic complementary player. Yeah he's pretty one-dimensional, i know, but so are most elite goal-scorers.

Call me crazy, but i would trade for Kessel if the price wasn't too stupid.

I don't really get Toronto's approach here: Kessel is a North American version of somebody like Alex Semin. Everybody is wowed by his release/ability to shine offensively, but nobody would ever dream of building a team around him or even making a space in their roster for him if they didn't already have the supporting staff to balance him out. He's a star and gets paid huge money. But do you see Semin being thrust into a leadership role, or taking the blame for his team's poor play?

Kessel is not the problem in Toronto, he's just been cast into a leadership role he's simply not fit for. They already gave up Seguin and Hamilton to get him, so moving Phil in a deal that isn't 'too stupid' would be nothing short of 'stupid'.

I do agree that he is the face of their franchise atm, and that face sure is ugly... but it's not Phil's fault. He might actually flourish on a team like ours (better balance), but some players simply are not meant to be put under that kind of pressure. Especially somebody with such a niche skill set (fun to watch in practice, target practice, etc.).

So you are either

b. trolling for giggles

Wrong. On all counts.

I've been a Canuck fan since day 1 of the franchise.

I was in favor of not signing high profile UFA's in the off-season, instead signing a capable backup for Eddie and letting the youngsters vie for more positions with the big club. Right away, my position was met with assertions that we would "turn into the Oilers" and "Destroy our prospects' confidence"...(You know, the way 19 year old Bo Horvat has been "destroyed")

But even worse was the general consensus of how much money the team would lose if we did a true rebuild. Apparently, it's a foregone conclusion that fans would stop coming to games if the team went that route. In fact, I think we've already seen that happen.

So show me where I'm wrong...

Chevy is rumored to still be looking at making a deal and has a lot of cap space to work with. If the Leafs are looking for a full on rebuild, I can see the Jets pushing hard at JVR. He's locked up long term and the Jets have some major pieces to offer as building blocks in return for JVR, including 2 first round picks in 2015 (not saying they would offer both, but they have chips to play.

Lol, I'm guessing you just looked at his stats and assumed his brings that type of production every game. I've been following the Leafs and for 1/2 the games, JVR hasn't even bothered to show up.

Nope I've been a fan of jvr since he was drafted, in fact I was shocked Philly traded him. Again though he is not inconsistent.

I think what Shanahan really asked is if it is OK to retain several million in salaries in order to be able to extract some value out of their bloated player contracts.

I have said for months now, that if Toronto really wants to rebuild, retaining $2 million for each of Kessel and Phaneuf turns them into serious assets rather than something to escape from.

Toronto with a team full of youngsters on ELCs is fine having a few million cropped off their cap ceiling.

Archived