The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Faceoffs

G. Reaper

It is an area of concern and is probably the reason for another concerning stat. As pointed out before last nights game, the Canucks have given up the 1st goal in 26 of 35 games. This has been a trend over the last 2 or 3 seasons and if they do not start controlling the faceoff circle and start getting the 1st goal on a much more frequent basis, they will be a tasty feast for their 1st round opponent.

It's been said before, but the Canucks don't have a strong faceoff guy who's right-handed (since Vey isn't that good on the draw yet) so lots of draws are being taken by players on their weak side. Definitely one area where the team misses Kesler and Santorelli.

Ok, it's a face off thread. Somebody has to look up the numbers.

Horvat 51.6%

Bonino 48%

Richardson 47.8%

H Sedin 45.1%

Matthias 44.9%

Vey 43.2%

2 of these guys are rookies and will get better.

Horvat has a chance to develop into a face off stud.

Bones and Ritchie are not great but adequate.

I guess we have to forgive Hank.

The other guy plays mostly on the wing anyways.

Our Only face-off man only 50% is a kid who just turned 20.. We need to address this.

It's been said before, but the Canucks don't have a strong faceoff guy who's right-handed (since Vey isn't that good on the draw yet) so lots of draws are being taken by players on their weak side. Definitely one area where the team misses Kesler and Santorelli.

Apparently Virtanen can win some key draws. Further down the line, Cole Cassels.

We are overall terrible at FOs. Im not sure why but Henriks FO% has plummeted. Kesler, Manny and Lappy were all players that were over 50% on FOs and weve lost them all and replaced them with people that arent (besides Bo).

Richardson isnt good. If I remember correctly hes around 48%. Bo is the only good one at something like 52%.

"Good" being a relative term. More accurately, I'd say he's the only one who isn't "bad". ;)

The answer to Hank's "drop off" is Kesler.

Kesler was good at face offs, Kesler could take key defensive face offs. Kesler could take RH'd face offs.

Hank is good but not as good as Kesler at face offs. Hank is now taking more key face offs. Hanks has to take draws on his off side.

The end.

Ok, it's a face off thread. Somebody has to look up the numbers.

Horvat 51.6%

Bonino 48%

Richardson 47.8%

H Sedin 45.1%

Matthias 44.9%

Vey 43.2%

2 of these guys are rookies and will get better.

Horvat has a chance to develop into a face off stud.

Bones and Ritchie are not great but adequate.

I guess we have to forgive Hank.

The other guy plays mostly on the wing anyways.

Thanks for providing the numbers.

In another thread I suggested that declining face-off performance is a symptom of fatigue. I think that is highly relevant for Horvat and Henrik. (Horvat has been good in general but had a bad game against the Jets.)

You expect younger guys who are not use to the NHL pace and travel (Horvat) and older guys (Henrik) to tire more than others toward the end of the season.

As for the others, I just don't think Vey is good in the circle. He has been bad all year, so it is not fatigue. And yes he is a "rookie" but he is 23 and will turn 24 in July so he should entering the "peak performance range" which, for forwards, goes from about 24 to 31. He just isn't strong enough against NHL centers. Maybe he can add some strength over the summer.

Bonino and Richardson are okay but not great in the circle, and Matthias isn't very good.

The importance of face-offs is generally over-rated, but they are worth something. Relative to an average face-off team the Canuck poor face-off performance has probably cost a few goals this year and maybe a couple of points in the standing. (I can certainly think of at least two cases where a lost face-off lead to a goal that cost at least a point). And that could be the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

Fortunately, McCann and Cassels are both regarded as very good in the circle. No guarantee that Cassels with make the Canucks, but with Horvat and McCann likely at 2C and 3C in a couple of years the Canucks will be more solid up the middle.

Said it before, hope we spend some assets to get Martin Hanzal for the 2nd line C.

He's only 28, but stands 6'6'', can readily take draws and is solid both defensively and physically (he was 56.6% this year according to ESPN). Better yet, he's played on a line with Vrbata before, so we could have two sets of guys with chemistry to build around up front (Twins, Czech Mates).

I'd offer Vey (no defined role for him on the team; too small to play in center or in the bottom 6, not good enough to displace anyone in the top 6), Bones (send a center back, ref. the Kes deal) and a 3rd (or lower) round pick from next year. Hank - Hanzal - Horvat looks solid up the middle.

Said it before, hope we spend some assets to get Martin Hanzal for the 2nd line C.

He's only 28, but stands 6'6'', can readily take draws and is solid both defensively and physically (he was 56.6% this year according to ESPN). Better yet, he's played on a line with Vrbata before, so we could have two sets of guys with chemistry to build around up front (Twins, Czech Mates).

I'd offer Vey (no defined role for him on the team; too small to play in center or in the bottom 6, not good enough to displace anyone in the top 6), Bones (send a center back, ref. the Kes deal) and a 3rd (or lower) round pick from next year. Hank - Hanzal - Horvat looks solid up the middle.

I like Hanzal, but he's a 3rd line C, and he likely won't be on the table anyway.

Although I love Hanzal's game, I think he's far too injury prone to be giving up that kind of return for.

Feb 09, 2015 Upper body injury, injured reserve (rest of season and playoffs).
Jan 15, 2015 Missed 4 games (upper body injury).
Nov 25, 2014 Missed 4 games (lower body injury).
Oct 28, 2014 Missed 3 games (lower body injury).
Apr 13, 2014 Missed the last 4 regular season games (lower body injury).
Mar 17, 2014 Missed 7 games (lower body injury).
Jan 24, 2014 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).
Oct 28, 2013 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.
Mar 04, 2013 Missed 5 games (upper body injury).
Feb 01, 2013 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).
Jan 26, 2013 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).
May 20, 2012 Missed the last playoff game (suspended by nhl).
Apr 23, 2012 Missed the last 3 playoff games (lower body injury).
Mar 18, 2012 Missed 4 games (upper body injury).
Jan 19, 2012 Missed 12 games (facial injury).
Nov 10, 2011 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).
Apr 08, 2011 Missed 13 games (lower body injury).
Mar 05, 2011 Missed 1 game (undisclosed).
Dec 31, 2010 Missed 1 game (undisclosed).
Nov 03, 2010 Missed 6 games (lower body injury).
Nov 25, 2009 Missed 1 game (lower body injury).
Mar 26, 2009 Missed 1 game (undisclosed).
Mar 10, 2009 Missed 1 game (undisclosed).
Feb 16, 2009 Missed 3 games (shoulder injury).
Mar 22, 2008 Missed 2 games (hip injury).
Feb 22, 2008 Missed 8 games (shoulder injury).

Most people seem to undervalue Bonino. He produces more offense than Hanzal, and is locked up for a fantasticly low cap hit of 1.9. I'd consider Bonino straight-up for Hanzal...but not much more.

while it would be great to win more faceoffs, dont forget that faceoff win percentage does not correlate with higher win rates.

A win is a win is a win.....we can't set plays if we don't get the puck...lets be the change in that percentage....lol negative ninny....

Archived