The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthius should be a priority for Benning.

messier's_elbow

Benning should do everything in his power to keep Matthius if he has a good playoffs. Guys like this are very hard to replace at 6'4 with speed and some skill. He had 18 goals and would have probably had 20+ if it wasnt for health reasons. Id give him a 3 year 11 million dollar deal. If Toronto or some other bone head offers him like 5 mill per year and hes money hungry then forget it though. Move parts around if you have to for a signing to happen, we need more draft picks anyways. I think we could have got Sbisa for a tad less since hes restricted and then traded Higgins for picks and had the money to keep this guy here.

I'm not a Matthias hater by any stretch, but I doubt he gets re-signed. Too much youth pushing for roster spots, and Matthias perhaps doesn't use his size aggressively enough. If he was a priority for Benning, he would've been signed already.

prepare to be disappointed. Matthias had a whopping 2 points against teams in our division all season. Also he played 78 games, can't exactly bring up health as a reason for not scoring as many goals.

Thats why I said if he has a good playoffs. That would wash your whole argument. If he tanks it and wants big money, see you later.

I'm not a Matthias hater by any stretch, but I doubt he gets re-signed. Too much youth pushing for roster spots, and Matthias perhaps doesn't use his size aggressively enough. If he was a priority for Benning, he would've been signed already.

He could be rougher and more truculent but we need size. Having Vey and Bartchi in next year in the west with size to back it up....

I agree we need to see what he can do in the playoffs. I think how Kass does as well will dictate how essential Matthias is to this team. If Kass can be a dominate physical force in the playoffs that will make Matthias a little more redundant. I am hoping though that he is one of those players who step it up in the playoffs which will be critical in how far we can go.

I have seen what players such as Burrows,Higgins and Hansen can do post season but I am more interested to see what players such as Horvat,Kenins,Bonino,Kassian and Matthias will do.

Thats why I said if he has a good playoffs. That would wash your whole argument. If he tanks it and wants big money, see you later.

True, but what makes you think that he is suddenly going to be a force against the same teams he couldn't produce against all season, in games that are far more intense? Obviously if he performs great JB should resign him (at a decent price), but I just don't see it happening.

Matthias is tunnel visioned. If you hated how kesler didn't use his linemates then Mathias should drive you nuts.

I like many things about his game but he's scouted. If he has the puck he will always shoot far corner regardless of any other options.

I agree we need to see what he can do in the playoffs. I think how Kass does as well will dictate how essential Matthias is to this team. If Kass can be a dominate physical force in the playoffs that will make Matthias a little more redundant. I am hoping though that he is one of those players who step it up in the playoffs which will be critical in how far we can go.

I have seen what players such as Burrows,Higgins and Hansen can do post season but I am more interested to see what players such as Horvat,Kenins,Bonino,Kassian and Matthias will do.

I don't think Kassian and Matthias are competing at all. What Benning has to decide is if Matthias is worth removing a vet for.

This guy is built for the playoffs. Whether or not he uses that build is something to wait and see. In all fairness, the guy has only tasted the playoffs once with the Panthers. Let's see if he has the determination and drive to win the Cup, or if he's in the game for the paycheque. I have a feeling he may be a difference maker in this year's playoffs though -- contract year says so lol.

Archived