The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign joe Cannata

Happy to see this, I was worried with his UFA (VI) status, and Eriksson possibly leaving. Cannata can start in AHL, he's a very good goaltender, I have the utmost confidence in him. He turned Merrimack into a competitive college team during his time there. It's been misfortune more than anything as to how he hasn't seen more AHL time.

Happy to see this, I was worried with his UFA (VI) status, and Eriksson possibly leaving. Cannata can start in AHL, he's a very good goaltender, I have the utmost confidence in him. He turned Merrimack into a competitive college team during his time there. It's been misfortune more than anything as to how he hasn't seen more AHL time.

exactly.

He really impressed in his College years, was stuck behind a bunch of goalies here in Van.

Markstrom is going to the NHL, Ericsson might not come back. Cannata can be Utica's backup, but we still need a starting goalie.

You are grossly underrating Cannata's abilities. He was a victim of our depth.

You are grossly underrating Cannata's abilities. He was a victim of our depth.

I don't think it's alarming to state that he'd have to beat out Ericsson to be the #1 in Utica (assuming we get Ericsson to remain). I don't see how that "grossly underrates" him.

Whistle got a PTO last year for the young stars tourney. is it out of the question to assume Benning might offer him another and or a contract and slot him in with the K Wings and or as a back up to the Comets knowing ericsson might be gone?

Whistle got a PTO last year for the young stars tourney. is it out of the question to assume Benning might offer him another and or a contract and slot him in with the K Wings and or as a back up to the Comets knowing ericsson might be gone?

I'd be fine with whistle returning for the young stars and getting a Utica contract. As of now though, save the NHL contracts for the more proven goaltenders.

Seems like Goaltending is the first issue to be addressed. Hopefully we improve that D core next. The financial details will go a long way to shine some light on whether he's the projected starter. I wonder what promises or lack there of were made.

I predict/hope we see over 10 PTO's at training camp this season :

Several goalies like Kevin Lalande, Leonardo Genoni, Ken Appleby, Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel

A former Canucks pick like Anton Rodin, Sergei Shirokov, Daniel Rahimi, Mario Bliznak

At least 5 undrafted overagers like Nick Betz, Conor Garland, Trevor Cox, Cole Sanford

A Euro looking for a NHL return like Viktor Tikhonov, Fredrik Pettersson, Andrei Kostitsyn, Kaspers Daugavins

A few fwds looking for a one year deal like Scottie Upshall, Tomas Kopecky, Tyler Kennedy, Chris VandeVelde

A dman looking for a one way deal as the 7th guy like Eric Brewer, Jordan Leopold, Andre Benoit, Bryan Allen

A good player with injury problems like Ryan Wilson, Josh Harding, Daniel Cleary, Rich Peverley

I predict/hope we see over 10 PTO's at training camp this season :

Several goalies like Kevin Lalande, Leonardo Genoni, Ken Appleby, Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel

A former Canucks pick like Anton Rodin, Sergei Shirokov, Daniel Rahimi, Mario Bliznak

At least 5 undrafted overagers like Nick Betz, Conor Garland, Trevor Cox, Cole Sanford

A Euro looking for a NHL return like Viktor Tikhonov, Fredrik Pettersson, Andrei Kostitsyn, Kaspers Daugavins

A few fwds looking for a one year deal like Scottie Upshall, Tomas Kopecky, Tyler Kennedy, Chris VandeVelde

A dman looking for a one way deal as the 7th guy like Eric Brewer, Jordan Leopold, Andre Benoit, Bryan Allen

A good player with injury problems like Ryan Wilson, Josh Harding, Daniel Cleary, Rich Peverley

Why? I'd rather let players like Gaunce, Shink, and Virtanen have more preseason games to show their stuff than using preseason roster spots on 10 guys we aren't going to sign.

Archived