The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic to Van for a dman- with IMPORTANT update

call me crazy, but would you really do that trade? Kassian may be at the end of his rope in terms of how long we'll let him go without producing, but he's still a guy we want on our team if he can figure it out. Lucic is a good, strong player that can produce some offence and plays big in the playoffs, but he's not even an allstar at this point. I would not trade both Bieksa and Kassian for Lucic and a 3rd, with Lucic and a 2nd being a very hesitant maybe.

I would do that trade if I thought I wouldn't lose Lucic as UFA next summer. Kassian is only 2.5 years younger than Lucic and what has he shown. If anything its that Kas doesn't have hockey IQ. Bieksa is a 5 D now. I would even do Bieksa and Kassian for later round pick like a 4th or 5th + Lucic.

Ferland will be a no body this time next year. He wont be allowed to run around like that in regular season and it will end up costing the flames games. Unless he can find more to his game (ie, be a strong defensive contributor) he wont last long in the NHL.

True, but having some extra trucelence in the line up never hurts.

I'd love to have Lucic on the Canucks. From a business stand point, they would go back to selling out every night, wouldn't be able to keep jerseys in stock. But after Boston beat the Canucks in Game 7 to win the Cup in 2011, some Vancouverites behaved very badly, spray painting Lucic's family's church with hateful remarks, etc. Lucic became (along with Marchand) Public Enemy #1.

After that incident, I don't believe Lucic would ever play in Vancouver. I'm sure there's still a lot of bad blood between the 2011 players, and would the Canucks want to bring that into the locker room? Then again, Benning may see things differently, and he knows Lucic's character all too well.

As much as I'd love to have him on our team, I can't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong though.

Hell yes I would trade for him. But Boston is up against the cap and we are too. I say just wait a year and let Hammer, Bieksa, Vrbata all come off the books. Then we can sign Lucic for free.

But if a trade were to happen I hope it's something along these lines...

Bieksa, Higgins, Jensen and a 2015 1st. I would assume he re-signs since he's home!

Kassian hasn't shown much and we don't even know he'll be on the team in a year. Virtanen is atleast 1 year away and others on your list are 2-3 years away from even making the NHL let alone being contributors.

Lucic won't make $6.5 on his next contract unless he has a real good year. His play regressed quite a bit last year, this will be a show me year for him. If he has a good year I'd rather pay Lucic $6 mill over Miller. He just turned 27 so he's fairly young.

Never mind the numerous assumptions you're making...

Lucic makes pretty no sense with our current pay structure and less sense 2-3 years from now with our player structure. He's also been regressing.

Big, fat NO.

He needs a change of scenery, as they say. I'm all for skill too, but size and skill is what makes the difference come playoffs. How many Mason Raymonds do we need to go through before we figure that out? Smaller, extremely skilled players like Gaudreau and Gallagher only come along once in a blue moon. If Lucic is brought in and Kassian catches fire, with Horvat at centre, that could be a punishing 2nd line. A few "ifs" though.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Vrbata

Lucic - Horvat - Kassian

Archived