The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Good guess -- 19. In their rookie seasons at even strength:

Monahan: 27 points in 75 games

Horvat: 24 points in 68 games

ES TOI: 13:37 vs 12:15

Wow to these stats is all I can say. Levels the playing field of Horvat vs Monahan a little.

That being said, as Derp says below... Any new Boesser news? Lol

Edited by ThaShady1

Good guess -- 19. In their rookie seasons at even strength:

Monahan: 27 points in 75 games

Horvat: 24 points in 68 games

ES TOI: 13:37 vs 12:15

Didn't Monahan score 30 goals last year? I thought he scored more than the 27 ES + 19 PP points you have listed. Your math might be a little off.

Either way the stats do show there isn't much difference between these two players. I think Horvat might very well be the consensus better pick in a decade's time.

Didn't Monahan score 30 goals last year? I thought he scored more than the 27 ES + 19 PP points you have listed. Your math might be a little off.

Either way the stats do show there isn't much difference between these two players. I think Horvat might very well be the consensus better pick in a decade's time.

he was showing rookie seasons. Last year was Monahans sophomore season
  • Upvote 1

Monahan plays top line minutes and because of that he plays against the top end players like Kopitar, Getzlaf, the Sedins.

That is far from easy.

Monahan at this point is the better player. There's no denying that. Horvat needs to have a stellar sophmore season to get up to speed with Monahan.

I also think if both Horvat and Monahan reach their ceilings then they both will be at similar talent levels IMO.

If Horvat becomes an elite 2nd line shutdown C and Monahan becomes a top goal scoring C that's capable of playing the hard match ups then it should be some solid bouts between the two of them.

Horvat = Ryan O'Reilly type player

Monahan = Jeff Carter type player

• Upvote 1

Monahan plays top line minutes and because of that he plays against the top end players like Kopitar, Getzlaf, the Sedins.

That is far from easy.

Monahan at this point is the better player. There's no denying that. Horvat needs to have a stellar sophmore season to get up to speed with Monahan.

I also think if both Horvat and Monahan reach their ceilings then they both will be at similar talent levels IMO.

If Horvat becomes an elite 2nd line shutdown C and Monahan becomes a top goal scoring C that's capable of playing the hard match ups then it should be some solid bouts between the two of them.

Horvat = Ryan O'Reilly type player

Monahan = Jeff Carter type player

I like your ideas, but disagree on Horvat's ceiling. He's a Kopitar type player. He's far more skilled than ROR, and a lot heavier. He's a player we have not seen before. He's called the "Ox" for a reason. He will be a Top # 1 centre. Monahan will not.

I like your ideas, but disagree on Horvat's ceiling. He's a Kopitar type player. He's far more skilled than ROR, and a lot heavier. He's a player we have not seen before. He's called the "Ox" for a reason. He will be a Top # 1 centre. Monahan will not.

Speaking in certainties is foolish. Monahan is already a #1 centre, and is still going to improve.

I dunno man. I agree that Horvat is the better rounded player, but it's not his offence that makes him so important for us. I think he can get close to Monahan's current production (30-odd goals, 60-70ish points) through his career, but Monahan has already achieved that, he's gonna keep building on it. Where Horvat gets my vote is his character and leadership skills, on-ice intelligence, calmness, and work ethic. I mean, Monahan is already essential to the Flames success, but I think Bo will literally be our Linden-esque face of the franchise for this generation.

I agree though. Bo was refreshing for our fanbase, and cause to get excited about our young core again. But it goes beyond that - the entire league noticed. He's as poised as just about any 1st rounder of the past 5 years to make a serious impact on the sport. Especially those taken by Canadian teams. What I'm saying is that Bo is not only relevant to the Canucks, but to hockey in Canada, and has that kind of NHL captain, Canadian Olympian type potential.

With McDavid, Hall, Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, etc. our division is changing, but Bo is in that class. In fact he brings elements that none of the other guys have. Without Horvat, the Canucks slide to the bottom of the conference, and scrappy Virtanen has nobody to balance out his skill set. With Horvat, we have a leader for our new young core and an elite 2-way centre to lean on.

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 1

I dunno man. I agree that Horvat is the better rounded player, but it's not his offence that makes him so important for us. I think he can get close to Monahan's current production (30-odd goals, 60-70ish points) through his career, but Monahan has already achieved that, he's gonna keep building on it. Where Horvat gets my vote is his character and leadership skills, on-ice intelligence, calmness, and work ethic. I mean, Monahan is already essential to the Flames success, but I think Bo will literally be our Linden-esque face of the franchise for this generation.

I agree though. Bo was refreshing for our fanbase, and cause to get excited about our young core again. But it goes beyond that - the entire league noticed. He's as poised as just about any 1st rounder of the past 5 years to make a serious impact on the sport. Especially those taken by Canadian teams. What I'm saying is that Bo is not only relevant to the Canucks, but to hockey in Canada, and has that kind of NHL captain, Canadian Olympian type potential.

With McDavid, Hall, Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, etc. our division is changing, but Bo is in that class. In fact he brings elements that none of the other guys have. Without Horvat, the Canucks slide to the bottom of the conference, and scrappy Virtanen has nobody to balance out his skill set. With Horvat, we have a leader for our new young core and an elite 2-way centre to lean on.

I agree with everything you said.

Great post!

You have zero evidence supporting what you say and you won't find any because you cannot predict the future.

Horvat is not yet better than ROR. They both weigh pretty much the same around 210 so Horvat is not "a lot heavier".

Horvat has spent one season in the NHL. He has a long, LONG, ways to go before he gets to Ryan O'Reilly's level let alone Kopitar...

I don't even see similarities between Kopitar. Scouts said repeatedly Ryan O'Reilly when it came to Horvat prior and at the draft.

• Upvote 1

How does one become a Kopitar like player when he's 4 inches shorter...

You have zero evidence supporting what you say and you won't find any because you cannot predict the future.

Horvat is not yet better than ROR. They both weigh pretty much the same around 210 so Horvat is not "a lot heavier".

Horvat has spent one season in the NHL. He has a long, LONG, ways to go before he gets to Ryan O'Reilly's level let alone Kopitar...

I don't even see similarities between Kopitar. Scouts said repeatedly Ryan O'Reilly when it came to Horvat prior and at the draft.

It's a Forum, and a Canuck's one at that. Horvat is going to be one of the top five centres in the NHL, and soon. I remember, when a lot of people were calling Henrik a bust. I always thought he was a future HOF centre, which he will be.

It's a Forum, and a Canuck's one at that. Horvat is going to be one of the top five centres in the NHL, and soon. I remember, when a lot of people were calling Henrik a bust. I always thought he was a future HOF centre, which he will be.

It's a forum and a Canuck's one at that?

That doesn't help what you're stating whatsoever.

I'm a big Horvat fan but I would take Monahan 10 times out of 10.

As for Boeser his game really reminds of Mikael Samuelsson for now. A trigger man on the wing but not the greatest in corners.

Best case scenario of course is Brett Hull esque.

You're entitled to your opinion. Mine differs. I see Monohan as a one trick pony. His defence concepts are very poor. Bo is already a way better defensive player, and will surpass Monahan in offence soon too. Boeser has a better release than Samuelson. He's quicker too, to get open and set. There are Cup parades in our not too distant future. Our top prospects are just that good.

Just cause it's a Canucks forum doesn't mean you need to overrate players that much..

Even if he reaches Bergeron's level, Bergeron isn't even a top 5 center in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

You're entitled to your opinion. Mine differs. I see Monohan as a one trick pony. His defence concepts are very poor. Bo is already a way better defensive player, and will surpass Monahan in offence soon too. Boeser has a better release than Samuelson. He's quicker too, to get open and set. There are Cup parades in our not too distant future. Our top prospects are just that good.

I don't think our prospects (or players under 22) are even in the top 10 in the league. Somewhere in the middle of the pack 10-20.

Edited by baumerman77
  • Upvote 1