The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Boeser's skating and lack of physicality makes him ill-suited to play Boudreau's forechecking game. 

Look at the Lammikko line, they get in the grills of the opponents, tie up the stick, and make it hard for the opposition to exit the zone. Same with Miller and Pearson. Even EP's been throwing his body around getting in close to forecheck.

But because of poor skating speed, Boeser is almost always a step late. And even if he gets there on time, he doesn't tie up the body or the stick, he just gives bunch of love taps on the body or hands, which could always be called as hooking or slashing.

His offensive game is still good because he is a smart player and can read plays well. I'd like to see him back with Petey again, now that Petey's game is back on track. If they click again, that's the only reason to re-sign him but at a lower cap.

Right now, there is no way to justify his 7.5 mil QO.

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Bo doesn't really have a more complete game. He takes more faceoffs, that's about it. Both have average 2-way games and are very inconsistent.

You are right, Bo is an average 2-way player.

He spends majority of his ice time on the defensive end, and yes, part of that is because he is matched up against good players but part of the reason is that he can't play puck possession game in the offensive zone. He just doesn't have that offensive IQ, vision, and passing to play that game in tight spaces.

Bo is still a useful player but not worth more than 6 mil.

Brock and Bo don't deserve more than 6 mil. If they want more, they need to be traded. It's a hard call to make but I'd rather open up cap space so that we can re-sign Miller and fix our defence at this point.

2 hours ago, khay said:

You are right, Bo is an average 2-way player.

He spends majority of his ice time on the defensive end, and yes, part of that is because he is matched up against good players but part of the reason is that he can't play puck possession game in the offensive zone. He just doesn't have that offensive IQ, vision, and passing to play that game in tight spaces.

Bo is still a useful player but not worth more than 6 mil.

Brock and Bo don't deserve more than 6 mil. If they want more, they need to be traded. It's a hard call to make but I'd rather open up cap space so that we can re-sign Miller and fix our defence at this point.

Im against signing Miller. His contract is gonna be ugly down the road and hes the type of character that might stop caring after he got the bag. e.g. loui Player Name 

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Im against signing Miller. His contract is gonna be ugly down the road and hes the type of character that might stop caring after he got the bag. e.g. loui Player Name 

Where do you get this impression of JT’s character? Also, you do realize Loui was 16 days short of turning 31 and had peaked already when we signed him? Not a great comparison...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Bo doesn't really have a more complete game. He takes more faceoffs, that's about it. Both have average 2-way games and are very inconsistent.

Throughout his career, Bo has been scoring +20 goals a season; even during the shortened Covid season.  Many

of his goals are clutch and game winning. He is one of the fastest skaters on the team and is line is often assigned

to shut down some of the top players in the league.  He plays on the PP and PK.

Green didn't play Bo as a 2-way C, preferring to use him as a defensive C.  Since Broudreau came on board,

Bo has been playing big PK minutes and is being expected to develop his 2-way game.  This is what Bo

was known for in his Jr years.  It is why he was picked 9th overall. 

https://www.bing.com/search?q=does+bo+horvat+play+on+the+canucks+penalty+kill&form=QBLH&sp=-1&pq=does+bo+horvat+play+on+the+canucks+p&sc=2-36&qs=n&sk=&cvid=5E036C4256E9419ABE504A50CE452E9B

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Throughout his career, Bo has been scoring +20 goals a season; even during the shortened Covid season.  Many

of his goals are clutch and game winning. He is one of the fastest skaters on the team and is line is often assigned

Green didn't play Bo as a 2-way C, preferring to use him as a defensive C.  Since Broudreau came on board,

Bo has been playing big PK minutes and is being expected to develop his 2-way game.  This is what Bo

https://www.bing.com/search?q=does+bo+horvat+play+on+the+canucks+penalty+kill&form=QBLH&sp=-1&pq=does+bo+horvat+play+on+the+canucks+p&sc=2-36&qs=n&sk=&cvid=5E036C4256E9419ABE504A50CE452E9B

I can understand some flack on Boeser for being inconsistent, but not on Bo. Horvat has been one of the most steady Canucks throughout his career, at least season to season.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Where do you get this impression of JT’s character? Also, you do realize Loui was 16 days short of turning 31 and had peaked already when we signed him? Not a great comparison...

You can tell through his plays. The guy gives up easily. Remember that line change? There was even an article about him in the Atheletic mentioning how immature he was back then and how AV threatened him. The guy only worked his ass off cuz he didn't want to become a nobody or AHL tweener. What will be his motivation once he gets the bag? Once he gets his bag, won't he care more about his health and playing safe to minimize any injuries? 

3 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

You can tell through his plays. The guy gives up easily. Remember that line change? There was even an article about him in the Atheletic mentioning how immature he was back then and how AV threatened him. The guy only worked his ass off cuz he didn't want to become a nobody or AHL tweener. What will be his motivation once he gets the bag? Once he gets his bag, won't he care more about his health and playing safe to minimize any injuries? 

The AV comments were from 7 years ago. Pure speculation at this point, who knows? What if he doesn’t decline after he ‘gets the bag’?

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Bo isn't a 2way center in the NHL. Period. He's had poor defensive stats analytically and it also fits the eye test. You are correct that his usage has gone up this season, from 24-29 seconds avg TOI on PK the past three seasons to 64 seconds this season. I personally don't like him on the PK as imo he doesn't have great defensive reads and is often just floating around.

If you believe he has another step in his development, then sure. I think he is what he is, which is a complementary 2C, a very good player still.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I can understand some flack on Boeser for being inconsistent, but not on Bo. Horvat has been one of the most steady Canucks throughout his career, at least season to season.

I'm not giving Bo flack, I think there's sometimes misconception of what he really is. A solid complementary 2C that can give you 50-60 points is no slouch.

Bo has been very inconsistent this year with his on ice efforts. Like Boeser, he's picked up points along the way, but his impact on the ice for many games has been minimal.

Edited by MrCanuck94

1 minute ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Bo isn't a 2way center in the NHL. Period. He's had poor defensive stats analytically and it also fits the eye test. You are correct that his usage has gone up this season, from 24-29 seconds avg TOI on PK the past three seasons to 64 seconds this season. I personally don't like him on the PK as imo he doesn't have great defensive reads and is often just floating around.

If you believe he has another step in his development, then sure. I think he is what he is, which is a complementary 2C, a very good player still.

I'm not giving Bo flack, I think there's sometimes misconception of what he really is. A solid complementary 2C that can give you 50-60 points is no slouch.

Bo has been very inconsistent this year with his on ice efforts. Like Boeser, he's picked up points along the way, but his impact on the ice for many games has been minimal.

I would tend to agree that he's not an excellent defensive forward, but I'm not sure he's as bad defensively as some say, but moreso just average.

He has been inconsistent within this year, but his inconsistent streaks always end sooner or later. He's already up to his last year's production and is scoring goals at the highest rate of his career. When we were losing against the Caps, Horvat scored two goals to tie the game, and it's far from the first time that he's come through in clutch moments to score goals. Sometimes, he's not having much of an impact in games, but sometimes he's the hero of the game. I think you can make an argument for short-term inconsistency maybe, but not a minimal impact.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would tend to agree that he's not an excellent defensive forward, but I'm not sure he's as bad defensively as some say, but moreso just average.

He has been inconsistent within this year, but his inconsistent streaks always end sooner or later. He's already up to his last year's production and is scoring goals at the highest rate of his career. When we were losing against the Caps, Horvat scored two goals to tie the game, and it's far from the first time that he's come through in clutch moments to score goals. Sometimes, he's not having much of an impact in games, but sometimes he's the hero of the game. I think you can make an argument for short-term inconsistency maybe, but not a minimal impact.

Yes, I agree with average, but average doesn't coin you the term "2way".

For sure, I see your point. By minimal impact I was referring to something similar as Brock. When he's not scoring, he's not really making an impact physically, defensively or creatively.

IMO, if I'm building a contender, a 6 mill C either needs to be elite offensively (creative, play driving, playmaking center) or bring a strong 2way game while putting up points (Kesler).

1 minute ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Yes, I agree with average, but average doesn't coin you the term "2way".

For sure, I see your point. By minimal impact I was referring to something similar as Brock. When he's not scoring, he's not really making an impact physically, defensively or creatively.

IMO, if I'm building a contender, a 6 mill C either needs to be elite offensively (creative, play driving, playmaking center) or bring a strong 2way game while putting up points (Kesler).

Yeah, I think many, myself included, assumed the title of "two-way centre" for Horvat because he was a young ace on faceoffs, but yes, he's just a regular 2nd line centre who's great at faceoffs. No amazing defense to write home about. That said, I do think Horvat's offense can get to a level where he's almost a 1B centre at times, so that might be part of what could merit more pay than a standard 2C. Not many 2Cs can score 30 goals, but Horvat's often been very close to that pace. Add to that his face-off proficiency and there could be a case that he's better than your average 2C without even considering defense. Still, the discussion on whether or not he's worth $6M (to use your number) could still be hotly debated.

Another thing that could be considered is the intangible of leadership that he brings to a team. It's hard to really place an exact value on intangibles, but there's no doubt some value in it. It's a big part of why guys like Thornton, Marleau, and Chara still got serious interest even in their final years.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's probably my favourite player overall (not necessarily to watch on the ice, but overall), but he's really struggled to consistently maintain his threat level of his rookie year. Last year was a strong year for him, however, which I do think many forget. He was our best forward and he was pretty much up his rookie year status. He played in all 56 games and was on pace for 34 goals and 38 assists for 72 points in 82 games. The question is if you think he can do that again and if you think 2020-21 Boeser is closer to average Boeser or if 2021-22 Boeser is closer to average Boeser. If you believe that latter, then it makes good sense to think trading him now is the best option. If you believe the former, you think he can be a huge piece of our team and one of the best offensive players.

To update, here are some of Boeser's projections in 82 games:

Career average: 31 goals, 34 assists, 65 points

2020-21: 34 goals, 38 assists, 72 points

2021-22: 25 goals, 26 assists, 51 points

2021-22 Boudreau: 31 goals, 29 assists, 60 points

Bare minimum, Boeser is probably a 25-goal, 50-point player, but I think it's worth noting that this year is by far his worst offensive year so far and it's probably unrealistic to assume that this is the "new normal" for Boeser. Maybe he doesn't score 35 goals, but I think it's reasonable to assume that he can go back to the 30-goal, 65-point average of his career, unless there's a good reason to think that his worst year is going to become the expected return for Boeser.

Excellent post,

His consistency has been an issue since his college days he could dominate one year then drop off the next and I hope he can figure it out. 

To answer your question I think the average BB6 lies somewhere between 20-21 and this year ( Just my opinion). I think he will average around 30-30 ( if healthy, he's been good the last couple seasons which is a good sign ) but can have good years where he can hit 70+ points and down years around 50-55 pts. I highly doubt his performance this year is the norm, the only problem is the QO. 

54 minutes ago, Nucklefuts said:

Boeser is toffoli. 

This isn't a bad thing.

It isn't a bad thing at all, as long as he signs a similar contract to that.

It is paying him 6.5+ million that I think some are concerned about right now. His play this season hasn't shown he is worth that yet. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

He takes a lot of heat on here lately. It's easy to forget that these are human beings with lives and other important things going on. Let's remember that and...be kind. This picture hits me right in all the feels and I can totally relate to the Dad stuff he's going through. The most important stuff...family.

.image.png

If we trade Brock Alf is going to be very disappointed.  Great player and an even greater person.  I'd love to see Brock passing the Cup to his dad.  And while he's a Canuck! 

• Thanks 1