The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

11 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Boeser's skating is fine but he is very similar to Jake in trying to think the game maybe to much instead of going full bore for the puck board battle or the hit, etc.

Boeser actually kept Jake from getting an assist when Jake fed the puck to a wide open Canadian in front of a gaping net, Brock just got his stick on the puck at the last second sending the shot wide.

Brock may not be as fast as Jake but I seen him turn it on at least twice and he looked fine.

I'm not bashing Boeser when I say his skating is his biggest knock. He looks like an amazing prospect. I thought he quitely played a good game. From my own eye, his biggest weakness is his acceleration and stride. Hopefully it improves over the next 2 years like it did for Bo.

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't know how you can form a complete opinion on a player based on seeing him play 1 game on tv. 

The fact that Boeser made team USA at 18 is pretty good and he was playing on the top line most of the time as well.  Granted he was 2nd choice for RW.  So the coach must think he's alright.  He did not play badly, he just didn't stand out in particular.

Exactly this.

Hard to even make a worthy judgement after the tournament. In years past we have seen players come in and absolutely dominate and then not turn into anything. It's such a small scope and I view the tournament being like a trailer for an upcoming movie.

To me it seems the Canucks got a steal in Brock. When I look at the draft board now and the progress of the players selected, I would have selected him a lot higher than he went. Bennings drafting has proven to add value to the organization with each pick. I know we overhype prospects on here but I really think we are building through the draft in all rounds. Just look at Tate Olson this season for example. He's playing like a top 30 selection and he was picked in the 7th round.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm not bashing Boeser when I say his skating is his biggest knock. He looks like an amazing prospect. I thought he quitely played a good game. From my own eye, his biggest weakness is his acceleration and stride. Hopefully it improves over the next 2 years like it did for Bo.

You have to be careful when mentioning any sort of critique of a prospect in these parts. Lots of sensitive feels to be hurt. If Boeser had elite skating he probably would have been drafted higher. Thankfully skating is a skill that can be improved while Boesers elite shot and hockey sense are something you either have or don't,  and he has those in spades. 

Boeser's game is not really speed, it's positioning himself for a shot, and he should improve his skating in ways that would help that. 

Horvat looked sluggish off his first step and now he creates so many partial breakaways for himself.
Boeser's game is more one timers and things of that manner, but that extra burst of acceleration might expand his repertoire a bit.

Edited by NaveJoseph

6 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Boeser's game is not really speed, it's positioning himself for a shot, and he should improve his skating in ways that would help that. 

Horvat looked sluggish off his first step and now he creates so many partial breakaways for himself.
Boeser's game is more one timers and things of that manner, but that extra burst of acceleration might expand his repertoire a bit.

In a way he reminds me of vrbata. He has more effort to his game though.  

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

Yeah this team doesn't need any more of those guys.

I am happy we picked Boeser,Konechey is kinda a smurf player we have enough of these type players over the years already, he offers nothing spectacular that stands out other than his skating an enthusiasium

Edited by bobbyg43

42 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Posted this in another thread but it still applies

It seems like Virtanen is trying to play a pro game in a junior game. Technically his positioning is correct but when you have players like Strome and Marner doing circles around the ice then you get a dog pile on one side and it becomes a free for all.

Makes sense that it's the teams leading scorers that are causing virtanen to underperform. Best excuse I've heard yet.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I didn't get to watch the game but I do ask

in 60 minutes did he do anything ? ? 

He definitely didn't look like a future all star, but then again the next chosen boy Matthews didn't either so....

• Upvote 2