The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Yep, Boeser has now fallen behind even in points-per-game. The one big saving grace is that Barzal has just had a great game and Boeser has had two point-less ones, so we're seeing Barzal at his best and Boeser at his worst. There's also a chance that Boeser starts lighting it up like nuts once Horvat is back, which I'd love to see.

2 hours ago, kacholu said:

He's got his work cut out for him for the Calder. He's 4 points back now. 

54 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yep, Boeser has now fallen behind even in points-per-game. The one big saving grace is that Barzal has just had a great game and Boeser has had two point-less ones, so we're seeing Barzal at his best and Boeser at his worst. There's also a chance that Boeser starts lighting it up like nuts once Horvat is back, which I'd love to see.

There might be a chance BB gets hot again,  but even if he does people don't quite understand that the NYI are the 3rd highest scoring team in the league while the Canucks are the 26th - even if BB gets help, Barzal's going to get his points too, and so are his linemates. The onlyway I see Brock keeping pace is on the PP.  

2 hours ago, PlanB said:

There might be a chance BB gets hot again,  but even if he does people don't quite understand that the NYI are the 3rd highest scoring team in the league while the Canucks are the 26th - even if BB gets help, Barzal's going to get his points too, and so are his linemates. The onlyway I see Brock keeping pace is on the PP.  

I expect a surge by Boeser when Horvat comes back. Horvat and Sutter back in and the center position looks much stronger. Their FO% improves a lot and therefore their puck possession. As much as I do not want to see a big improvement in the W/L column it could easily happen. On the plus side might be a resurgence that will give Benning a comfort level in dealing some vets at the TDL. 

4 hours ago, PlanB said:

I would have to agree with you 100%. The real measure should what percentage of total Canucks points does BB get and compare it to MB.

Also, BB is leading scorer for  the Canucks and leads by a large margin, where MB is third in his team in scoring. 

Unfortunately, the biggest factor against BB is the fact he is in the West. 

On 1/14/2018 at 4:46 AM, PlanB said:

Barzel also gets easier minutes he is on the 2nd line and does not  play against the other teams shutdown line and D he gets the 2nd pairing dmen ect.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2018 at 8:51 AM, rekker said:

Barzal is a hell of a player and If Boeser loses out to him so be it. Barzal is in a way better position to succeed though. Boeser is getting checked a lot more carefully as he is our only real threat at the moment.

Yes, Barzal is a heck of a player. He's great at both ends of the ice, He has rejuvenated Eberle's game. Barzal is a great skater. Boeser is different type of player, more a sniper/shooter. Barzal is a fast skater and better passer. It's gonna be tough for Boeser to keep up in points with Barzal for a number of reasons. If Horvat wasn't injured might have been different. 

Barzal plays with Eberle and Beauvillier. All 3 players of this line came from EDM. All one sided trades. Barzal and Beauvillier came via the draft picks acquired from the Reinhart trade who is no longer with EDM, Barzal with the 16th overall from EDM and Beauvillier at 28th when Islanders packaged the EDM 33rd and own 72nd to Tampa for the 28th and drafted Beauvillier. Eberle was traded for Strome.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes, Barzal is a heck of a player. He's great at both ends of the ice, He has rejuvenated Eberle's game. Barzal is a great skater. Boeser is different type of player, more a sniper/shooter. Barzal is a fast skater and better passer. It's gonna be tough for Boeser to keep up in points with Barzal for a number of reasons. If Horvat wasn't injured might have been different. 

Barzal plays with Eberle and Beauvillier. All 3 players of this line came from EDM. All one sided trades. Barzal and Beauvillier came via the draft picks acquired from the Reinhart trade who is no longer with EDM, Barzal with the 16th overall from EDM and Beauvillier at 28th when Islanders packaged the EDM 33rd and own 72nd to Tampa for the 28th and drafted Beauvillier. Eberle was traded for Strome.

Lol @oilers. They gifted the islanders an entire second line when they are having trouble building their own second line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, khay said:

Lol @oilers. They gifted the islanders an entire second line when they are having trouble building their own second line.

Yep, exactly my point. They could have had skill and speed instead Chia went size and toughness when the NHL is going towards speed and skill. JB did same with Virtanen pick over Ehlers or Nylander. JB has now changed course with last years draft by picking skill over size.

They won in BOS so thought that was the best model. It's hard letting go of something you had success with. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yep, exactly my point. They could have had skill and speed instead Chia went size and toughness when the NHL is going towards speed and skill. JB did same with Virtanen pick over Ehlers or Nylander. JB has now changed course with last years draft by picking skill over size.

They won in BOS so thought that was the best model. It's hard letting go of something you had success with. 

The best model for success in the NHL is connection and influence. I guess Chia didn't realize that Jacobs family's influence is what got him that Stanley cup ring. 

If Boeser doesn't score against Edmonton, I'm going to riot! 3 games pointless is too much for Brocky!

Seriously though, hopefully the boys can take advantage of Edmonton's recent struggles. Boeser definitely has been playing a lot more minutes this season than he ever has in his career, so it's probably nice for him to get that bye week. Horvat returning soon should definitely spark something too.

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Don't think it is one or the other but a mix. Equal skill but one player is bigger who do you take? Sounds easy but making that type of call when a player is 18 is more than hard. I also lean towards size because of the brutal endurance in CUP play.  

So how much is this guy gonna cost us after next year? If he scores at a 35 goal average per season, he deserves at least 8 per year. His agent will want north of 9 but let's be realistic. For us to contend we can't throw a McDavid/Eichel type of contract at him. 

Edited by SergioMomesso

2 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

So how much is this guy gonna cost us after next year? If he scores at a 35 goal average per season, he deserves at least 8 per year. His agent will want north of 9 but let's be realistic. For us to contend we can't throw a McDavid/Eichel type of contract at him. 

Probably get a similar structure deal a bit richer than Horvat's.

2 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Depends on whether or not the standards for offense changes. The entire league is more offensive this year, so 35 goals means less than it did last year. I'd say he's on pace for $7-8M per year, but could go higher if he can push the offense to 40 goals and 80 points regularly.