The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

27 minutes ago, Lumme21 said:

I disagree. Benning made the choice obvious, and PA and JR still bit. The clear and only logical move was to move Boeser at last year's deadline. Boeser would have been of interest to multiple teams last TDL, those that wanted a rental only, and those that want a player they could possiblky sign long term.

When has an RFA been moved at the trade deadline?  Nobody was interested in Boeser at his QO.  The leverage that was used to negotiate the contract that they got was the prospect of becoming a UFA where his new contract would likely be much lower than his QO.  So Boeser agreed to a figure that was a compromise.  The Canucks could have traded Boeser but what happens is that the Canucks would have had to grant permission for another team to negotiate to see if a contract could be reached.  If the number was relatively low, the Canucks would still have had the option to match.  

It's possible that the Canucks would not have qualified Boeser but they would be losing the asset for nothing.

Canucks will need Boeser to keep trending upwards in order to move him.

He needs to score some goals, as good as he has been picking up assists, teams will want to know if he still has the ability to score. I still don't love Boeser's game do to his lack of engagement 5v5, but in order to get anything of value he will need to continue piling up points which to his credit, he has done.

I'm a Boeser fan. How can one not like this guy. He's kind, loyal, family values up the ying yang, and has a wicked shot. That being said........

I could be a dick and say, "Man up, dude! You're a professional hockey player in the NHL...." But honestly, grief takes as long as it's gonna take. Certainly in most cases, longer than a year. Is this a factor? Perhaps. Is he "fat" because of such? I dunno. He looks bulkier, but he's an athlete and works out in gyms. I think that's it, but the process of grieving does affect day to day life. I dunno.

I'm flummoxed. He came off to me like the game breaking scoring winger we needed. Moments of brilliance to be sure, but sadly, inconsistent. Perhaps a change of scenery might do him good. Not necessarily closer to home, but a change nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Snake Doctor said:

We have always paid him for his potential. It’s time for him to make it a reality. 

Currently he's on pace for 13 goals, 63 assists, and 76 points if he were to play 82 games (which he can't, given his missed games already). -11 in 13 games is pretty poor though. I think he's matching what you want in terms of point production, but his defense leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

It feels like Brock's rookie season was nothing more but a big bold-faced lie. His Mike Bossy-like shot is long-gone and it looks like it will never ever return.

Ever since he had that off season wrist injury, I believe after his first season, his shot has never been the same.  It's still hard, but his accuracy has just become abyssmal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Currently he's on pace for 13 goals, 63 assists, and 76 points if he were to play 82 games (which he can't, given his missed games already). -11 in 13 games is pretty poor though. I think he's matching what you want in terms of point production, but his defense leaves a lot to be desired.

I hope Boeser is traded on strong ppg if his production continues. His TOI was as low as I have seen for some time. I agree with your concern over defense. It likely hurts his trade value. 

Brock is still getting points - just not so many goals. Although we would obviously like him to regain his shot, his ppg is actually about as good this season as it's ever been.

To me, Boeser's main issue isn't his production, even without the expected goal count. It's more about the fact he isn't very fast, isn't very physical, gets injured somewhat easily, is a bit lazy on plays sometimes and doesn't seem to have the drive this team needs from all of our players to succeed. He even put a 30 goal expectation on himself which isn't exactly coming to fruition. The last couple of years, I gave him a pass based on what was happening with Duke, but with that hopefully now behind him, now is his time he should be shining. 

Despite the lack of goals though, his nearly 1ppg isn't exactly a bad showing. If the perspective of GMs is that he's still a highly valuable player, it pains me to say it, but I think we would be best moving on. Perhaps trade him for the defensive RD we've been needing for so long. I think we have enough scoring in our lineup that it wouldn't adversely affect us too much.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice moment for Boeser to score key goal last night.  Not withstanding the false start on the scratch pure economics dictate Boeser and/or Garland are on their way out.  Boeser needs a situation where he can play A pure offensive role on line 1 or 2 and power play 1.  Probably a situation where his short comings are what they are and to expect meaningful improvements are not likely.  Can still go out and have a Jordan Eberle type career but appears short comings could hold him back from being key contributor on a top contender.

Unreal the hate Brock gets compared to Garland and Mikheyev who seem to fly under the radar. I wonder what it is - I think it all stems from the cap hit at 6.5+M, then trickles down to the effort we see on the ice, and the last thing seem so to be production. It's similar to Myers - everyone sees his big 6M cap hit and judges him for it, then we see sloppy slow defensive play and he gets murdered online for it.

I'd say rightly so for Myers, he is having a dreadful season, but even last year as our top shutdown guy he was taking a lot of slack online and I think it all comes from the cap hit.

Meanwhile, look at Mikheyev and Garland this season. Recently signed Mikheyev, before the MTL game, had just 6 goals and 13 points in 22 games. That's good for a 48 point, 22 goal pace, and he just signed a 5M deal, playing top line minutes alongside our best in Pettersson. Garland has been DREADFUL offensively, no one can defend that, I think I heard Shorty say he just bumped a what...18 game goaless drought? He last scored on October 27th. Even with his goal, he has just 4 in 25, 11 points on the season, good for a 13 goal pace. Yet he's on a 5M contract.

Meanwhile Brocks out here scoring at almost a PPG, 16 points in 20 games. Sure he's only got 4 goals in 20 games too but he's racking up points and is producing offence.

I know what we see on the ice makes fans think that Brock is lazy, he doesn't skate or hit as well as Garland or Mikheyev and his defence has been atrocious. The difference in these players is 1.5M in cap hit, yet we're talking about trading Brock and keeping Garland who is on pace for 3-4th line numbers here at a 5M cap hit.

Good skating and hustle and being snake-bitten doesn't win you games sadly, you're paying these guys to score. Mikheyev and Garland combined are costing us 10M for 35 goals on the season right now.

Personally I think we have far too many wingers, we had enough at the start of the off-season, then we nab Kuzmenko for basically nothing which is enough, then make a really bone-headed move to spend 5M of our cap space on another winger in Mikheyev over a true 3C or defenceman. Management are to blame for this unbalanced roster which leads us to games like we're seeing - zero defence, bad faceoffs down the middle but lots of offence. That's great, but it doesn't win you games in the long-run.

In any case, I don't understand the hate for Boeser, look at this thread, then look at the Garland and Mikheyev threads. They fly under the radar nicely. If Boeser went 18 games without a goal he'd be hunted on the street. How does Garland get away with that at 5M, just because he skates hard? 

• Cheers 1

On 11/15/2022 at 11:27 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks will need Boeser to keep trending upwards in order to move him.

He needs to score some goals, as good as he has been picking up assists, teams will want to know if he still has the ability to score. I still don't love Boeser's game do to his lack of engagement 5v5, but in order to get anything of value he will need to continue piling up points which to his credit, he has done.

Considering confidence is everything in sports and life, Brock’s been through so much lately that he needs to find his again. He’s still pretty young, he’s locked into a three year term so contract is not issue. He knows he’s worth the 6mil and he knows he can score. Just needs to find his groove. 

• There it is 1

On 10/30/2022 at 6:26 PM, EddieVedder said:

Hes not talented.  He cant skate, he cant backcheck effectively, he cant skate with the puck, cant play on the pk, hes not a line driver, and his shot is is nothing special. We havent seen him make a single skilled play all year, including last.  Hes a passenger on this club.  

11 teams in town to scout the canucks say you don't know what the fk you're talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope Canucks find a trade partner for Boeser... Time for fresh start for #6 and time to change look in Vancouver..

Go Canucks Go!

Its been long enough start trying to find a new team even retain 1.5 million...

We have lots of wingers here - Miller 29 - W/C  -Kuzmenko 26 - Mikheyev 28 - Garland 26 - Podkolzin 21 - Hoglander 22 - Joshua 25 -W/C  Lazar 27 - Pederson 25-W/C  --Studnicka. 23- W/C-- Lockwood  24

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or does Boeser seem to be going thru the motions? Fans were dumping on Miller about his shift changes, I would point to Boeser as well. On one PP last night he drifted around the ozone and finally posted on the left half board. On puck possession he doesn't stride into a puck battle he glides. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Is it just me or does Boeser seem to be going thru the motions? Fans were dumping on Miller about his shift changes, I would point to Boeser as well. On one PP last night he drifted around the ozone and finally posted on the left half board. On puck possession he doesn't stride into a puck battle he glides. 

One of the many reasons I tuned out after the second period AGAIN last night. This team needs a drastic shakeup and quickly. Have they tuned the coaching staff out as well? It certainly seems that way. There is no way in hell that Cull, or Yeo are NHL coaches either, however at some point these players should be taking some responsibility for their play. Lazy changes, missing the net, turnovers, terrible coverage in their own zone, a stale power play, and an even worse penalty kill. Like you Bouds, I've been around since the beginning, and this pales in comparison to the Laforge days, and the Keenan era of this team. I've been a Meyers supporter for the most part, but, what on earth is he doing out there?

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

He's not engaged at all, they are trying to get him going, but he seems to have checked out, nothing there.