The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Draft Performance Poll

JamesB

Canuck Draft Performance Poll  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A seventh round pick. 7th round pick!! Yeah, some are saying it's a joke, everything that has/hasn't gone on for the team, but I think it's worse than that. For all the blind champs out there bashing anyone with some sense that this might not be going well , constantly reminding us that the y know so much better than we do and that's why they have the job, I am not convinced.

Benning sounds like my drunk neighbor, his vocabulary is as big as the bookshelf in your local kindergarten. Assessment of value is way off. Attention is being spent on playing favorites, I'm not convinced the drafting OR the trading is making sense. The decisions being made make Sbisa's on ice decisions look good.

I don't think they know what they're doing up there. I was banging on the drum to trade vets at the deadline. Where are we now compared to then? We've lost some space. Like others I'm not expecting much from this team anymore but even more painful is this disgusting fixation with playoff profits.

Done following the Canucks. I'll start following a team with some management brain power.

"You know, I think we're blah blah blah real good blah blah blay you know real good blah blah the 210th pick."

Don't fall on your way off the bandwagon. Honestly no gm would trade established vets at deadline when you are in the playoff picture. That is like saying 'good job on almost reaching the finish line, but I have to shoot some bullets into your feet just to make sure you don't.'

I have to agree with an earlier post in that its impossible to grade a draft this early. That being said I found it most interesting that vancouver has the second worst draft record for rounds 2 thru 7 the past nine years or so. Boston was 4th worst according to games played by players drafted in those rounds. Makes me wonder a bit?

Donno how to interpret this draft really. I had high hopes that Juice would be moved, the Canucks would at least attain a mid second round pick, and pluck a defenceman in the first round but management felt they did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. I am honestly disappointed in Benning and Linden and feel this team light years away from contending again. There is no real idea of which direction the team is headed because the fan base hasn't been given one. Last year it was make the playoffs and after this draft it seems as if we are going into an unofficial rebuild. I'm confused.

The NTC's handed out in years past have handcuffed current management no doubt but moves like signing Sbisa and Dorsett to lengthy over market value exensions, signing Ryan Miller, losing Lack for next to nothing and not addressing immediate organizational needs in drafting defenceman in the first/second rounds for a few years now is mind boggling as a fan. I'm not impressed with the current direction the team is headed and with how much better the west is getting I feel it's going to be a lengthy playoff drought.

I wanted to give Benning the benefit of the doubt on some questionable decisions he has made so far but I really thought his skills would shine during the draft weekend. It appears that has not happened. No "Magic" has occured and we are stuck with the same results as in the past where alot of other teams have seemed to manage to "get deals done" and the Canucks sit on the sidelines as bystanders again.

Traded Lack for basically nothing - A half-decent GM could have gotten a similar return for Markstrom.

Bieksa deal didn't get done - Kevin must have taken some advice from Kesler on how to work Canucks management.

1st rounder was an offboard pick - ridiculous to pick some player from an inferior USHL league when good prospects like Merkley from the WHL Rockets are still available - probably could have taken him in round 4. (Thanks John Weisbrod, BTW how's Jankowski doing?)

No cap space to sign any UFAs, no help on the farm, and aging vets that are ready to be taken out back and shot old Yeller style for next year.

GRADE: F-

A baboon with diarrhea could make less crappy deals than JB.

Expect to see some Canucks jerseys on the ice next season.

You Debbie downers on this board are a joke seriously what do you expect when you have a great year and draft high. Seriously you don't get anything for nothing, Benning is not going too give away the farm just so we can move up in the draft. You know as well as I do that teams always ask for too much in return or vise versa. So with that said cut the guy some slack. We have a great group of young guys in the system whom I expect too push for spots. Benning will be making more moves and clearing cap space and I am sure he will test the UFA market.

If you think CDC is tough on Benning you should see HF Boards and other social media.

D - poor performance but not a disaster.

At the time it looked like an utter failure but looking back, I think MG did well to get Bo Horvat for Cory Schneider.

Agreed. After the trade for Lack, getting Horvat for Schneider looks like the deal of decade.

Arizona and SJ improved their prospect cupboards.

Edmonton, Calgary and LA improved their rosters on paper.

The Vancouver Canucks laid an egg. If you walk into any draft with a 1st and 2nd, you get players like Boeser and Brisebois all the time regardless of how "deep" the draft is. Bieksa and his contract should have been dumped for a Klondike bar. The only thing you can say is that the Canucks didn't go full retard like Boston did. I seriously dare Benning to look fans in the eyes and say you could beat LA, Calgary and Anaheim in the playoffs. Bring on the tank.

Final Grade: D

Agree that Boeser and Brisebois look kind of typical for what you might get drafting in the bottom third of the 1st and 2nd rounds. The fact that Brisebois was still available near the top of the 3rd round shows that the draft was deep.

A GM's performance in the draft is also measured by the things you did before the draft - like give up a second for a player LA did not want, and a second for a player that Calgary did not want. They will both soon be players we don't want - unless of course, in the case of Vey, he is already a player we don't want. Other teams were able to trade for first picks in this draft - not us. Why? Because we still have the aging, doddering old farts Benning inherited from Gillis - but I don't entirely blame Benning for that - he was straightjacketed by management being desperate to never be less than mediocre - which guarantees permanent mediocrity.

In order to build a winner, ownership has to be willing to invest - so far ownership has no desire to win the Stanley Cup - only a desire to be mediocre. We are starting to look like Toronto - just without the massive, national press coverage. At least we can keep our 45 years of mostly misery relatively private.

Have to agree that I do not like the mantra of "compete for the playoffs every year and rebuild". In the data that pretty much never works to produce a serious Cup contender. Detroit is the only real exception and they were very fortunate to get Lidstrom (3rd round), Datsyuk (6th round) and Zetterberg (7th round) with low picks. With modern scientific drafting I don't think that will ever happen again.

I wanted to bite the bullet last year. Too late now, but for this year let's admit that we going nowhere in the playoffs even in the unlikely event that we make the playoffs. Benning should trade vets for high picks at any opportunity, especially at the deadline. Time for full tank mode.

Pretty hard to give him a grade after one day... I mean, I never went to Waterloo to watch Boeser play but Benning did, so I'll have to trust his judgement.

Definitely disappointed we didn't move any vets for picks though, I thought for sure Higgins or Bieksa would get us a couple 2nds or 3rds.

Grade: D -

Boeser was alright at 23.

All other picks, I would call failed selections. Nothing against the players we selected, but there were other quality guys I would have taken instead that were still available.

The picks I'm not too upset about are Jasek and Olsen.

Not too happy with anything else. Lack trade was a bust. Wasted our pick so all we have to show for it is a 7th rounder next year.

Jasek is the only thing keeping me from giving him an F.

Don't like the Boeser pick. Would rather have had Roy, Konencny, Merkley, Dunn, or Harkins.

No USHL pick is worth a first rounder under less the are coming from the USNTDP. There's a reason those kids are on that team.

There's also a reason why Benning is the gm of the Canucks and you are whoever you are.

I'm rather underwhelmed.

We had and now still have dedicated needs for the organization that have been spoken about for two seasons.

They weren't entirely addressed last season amd again ignored this season.

I won't give a letter grade. I am just a shade underwhelmed is all.

Just do keep in mind that we will be treading water in the bottom of the Pacific and hope Jimmy Two Shoes can actually obtain some value for our vets at the deadline because we'll need to restock while we rebuild.

People might not be happy only getting a 3rd this year for Eddy or not being able to make a deal for Bieska, but as far as the picks Benning has selected they have been excellent. We are at the begginning of year 2 of a Benning Linden time and we need to chill and allow their plan to work it self out. Next year will be the real time for the Cunucks to make change and load up on picks. Thats easy to figure out.

Once you look into them, there's some solid picks today with real upside.

Archived