The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Vey --> Canucks

Please take Higgins off that 2nd line, for god's sake even he knows he's a third liner, a great one at that.. and you missed SVEN which will be a 2nd liner..

You are so right. Sven is on line 2, Higgins takes a spot from Kassian I guess. That or Burrows or Hansen get moved for picks.

EDIT: Or perhaps Higgins is moved for picks. Either way, we have more players with waiver ineligibility than we roster spots.

You are so right. Sven is on line 2, Higgins takes a spot from Kassian I guess. That or Burrows or Hansen get moved for picks.

EDIT: Or perhaps Higgins is moved for picks. Either way, we have more players with waiver ineligibility than we roster spots.

Somebody is getting moved, and it won't be Sven.

Just spoke with newly re-signed Linden Vey. He says it's always an exciting day when you sign an NHL contract. #Canucks (1/4)
Vey says the one year deal is a great way of proving himself and he's excited for the opportunity to do so. #Canucks (2/4)
Vey is spending the offseason in Saskatoon, but plans on coming back to Vancouver soon to work with the #Canucks conditioning coach's. (3/4)
Vey spoke with Trevor Linden today. Told Vey if he puts in the work, he can have a great year. Didn't put any expecations on him (4/4)

1 year at 1 million as per Lebrun.

Not too bad. Let's hope he can build off his rookie season.

Reasonable contract. The Canucks did not want to qualify Vey as he would have had arbitration rights and might easily have been awarded more than the Canucks could afford to pay. So his choice was probably to take this contract or become a UFA with no chance of signing with the Canucks. The security of a guaranteed 1 million then probably made sense to Vey.

At worst, he could be waived and sent to Utica, and the Canucks would not face any cap penalty given a salary of only 1 million.

So Vey has one more shot to show he belongs in the NHL. As Benning has said he needs to work hard this summer and come back to training camp stronger than he was last year. Right now he is 4th on the depth chart at center but I am sure the Canucks would like to re-sign Richardson if they can. Vey can also fight for a spot at RW, but the Canucks have lots of depth there right now.

I can see Vey as 13th man who can fill in at C or RW depending on injuries.

Archived