The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Young Stars Sept 11-14, 2015 Penticton

theminister

omg... just stop with the bashing...

the Canucks looked absolutely amazing to start. it was one of the most intense games ive ever watched live. we ended up outshooting edmonton, but ultimately too many errors on D and quick conversions from a team that has a lot of fire power coming, nevermind Nurse who looks like Pieterangelo out there.

Cederholm was horrid.... just awful handling the puck, forcing passes, getting beat outside and inside... but its one game. we also didnt have a great performance in goal, though Witt did make a couple big saves, he got straight up beat often and had a tough time with his positioning.

i LOVED how Virtanen looked. Of all of the players from all 4 teams I watched live yesterday, he had the largest presence on the ice. He didnt hit the score sheet, but the beauty of his game is that he can impact a game without scoring. These games arent about a win loss record, its all about player evaluation.

Top players from yesterday IMO:

1. Darnell Nurse - Amazing skater. Great with the puck. Creative offensively. Had a tough time handling some of the larger Canucks on the boards, but overall dominant.

2. Jake Virtanen - Im not being biased with this pick. He was all over the ice in the face of every Oiler. Generated at least 2 AAA scoring chances. Hits with so much power. Spent too much time in the box, but was able to take off Nurse with him. Im super stoked about getting to watch him as a Canuck! Hes a guy that can generate energy for the entire team.

3. Brendan Lemieux - Like Virtanen, he was present for every shift. Scored a nice goal, and causing the entire Flames lineup to think about him by getting in their face and playing with physicality, but not nearly the tool set that Virtanen has.

3. Connor Rankin - Jakes Calgary teammate. Really good speed. Good offensive instincts. Very creative.

4. Connor McDavid - Didn't get a tonne of ice time, but has an electricity and generates offence 95% of the time when the puck touches his stick. Last time I remember that kind of presence was with Bure. Every time he gets the puck you start to lean out of your seat. Dont think they liked how hard Vancouver was playing him. Got rocked by Virtanen and MacKenzie.

5. Rasmus Andersson - Looked very composed, good size, skating, 200ft awareness. Yet another defensive gem thatll have a tonne of time to develop.

6. Flames forwards (Bennet, Baille, Poirer, Klimchuck, Smith) - Very effective as a group. Solid forecheck and winning boards battles. Supported eachother extremely well.

7. Gaunce - Good hustle, but still looked slow. Still see him as a 4th liner. Put up G,A.

8. Comrie - Only played last bid of 2nd and full 3rd period. Nothing flashy but was by far the most poised and well positioned of all the goalies yesterday.

I was pretty uninspired with most of the Jets lineup. there were flashes from Ehlers and Petan, but nothing that made me gush about their play.

Dissapointments:

Jared McCann - 1 decent chance, otherwize a non factor

Leon Draisaitl - Lumbering, slow, not sold on him.

Hunter Shinkaruk - Looks threatening at times but often turns it over.

Canucks that Surpassed Expectations:

Stewart MacKenzie - He could be our version of Ferklund. Good skater, finishes every check with a !

Labate - Created turnovers, solid on back check. Finished checks well.

Abols - Very surprised with his play. Good skater, good size, protects puck well, goes to the net, plays the boards, initiates contact, and has some skill.

omg... just stop with the bashing...

the Canucks looked absolutely amazing to start. it was one of the most intense games ive ever watched live. we ended up outshooting edmonton, but ultimately too many errors on D and quick conversions from a team that has a lot of fire power coming, nevermind Nurse who looks like Pieterangelo out there.

Cederholm was horrid.... just awful handling the puck, forcing passes, getting beat outside and inside... but its one game. we also didnt have a great performance in goal, though Witt did make a couple big saves, he got straight up beat often and had a tough time with his positioning.

i LOVED how Virtanen looked. Of all of the players from all 4 teams I watched live yesterday, he had the largest presence on the ice. He didnt hit the score sheet, but the beauty of his game is that he can impact a game without scoring. These games arent about a win loss record, its all about player evaluation.

Top players from yesterday IMO:

1. Darnell Nurse - Amazing skater. Great with the puck. Creative offensively. Had a tough time handling some of the larger Canucks on the boards, but overall dominant.

2. Jake Virtanen - Im not being biased with this pick. He was all over the ice in the face of every Oiler. Generated at least 2 AAA scoring chances. Hits with so much power. Spent too much time in the box, but was able to take off Nurse with him. Im super stoked about getting to watch him as a Canuck! Hes a guy that can generate energy for the entire team.

3. Brendan Lemieux - Like Virtanen, he was present for every shift. Scored a nice goal, and causing the entire Flames lineup to think about him by getting in their face and playing with physicality, but not nearly the tool set that Virtanen has.

3. Connor Rankin - Jakes Calgary teammate. Really good speed. Good offensive instincts. Very creative.

4. Connor McDavid - Didn't get a tonne of ice time, but has an electricity and generates offence 95% of the time when the puck touches his stick. Last time I remember that kind of presence was with Bure. Every time he gets the puck you start to lean out of your seat. Dont think they liked how hard Vancouver was playing him. Got rocked by Virtanen and MacKenzie.

5. Rasmus Andersson - Looked very composed, good size, skating, 200ft awareness. Yet another defensive gem thatll have a tonne of time to develop.

6. Flames forwards (Bennet, Baille, Poirer, Klimchuck, Smith) - Very effective as a group. Solid forecheck and winning boards battles. Supported eachother extremely well.

7. Gaunce - Good hustle, but still looked slow. Still see him as a 4th liner. Put up G,A.

8. Comrie - Only played last bid of 2nd and full 3rd period. Nothing flashy but was by far the most poised and well positioned of all the goalies yesterday.

I was pretty uninspired with most of the Jets lineup. there were flashes from Ehlers and Petan, but nothing that made me gush about their play.

Dissapointments:

Jared McCann - 1 decent chance, otherwize a non factor

Leon Draisaitl - Lumbering, slow, not sold on him.

Hunter Shinkaruk - Looks threatening at times but often turns it over.

Canucks that Surpassed Expectations:

Stewart MacKenzie - He could be our version of Ferklund. Good skater, finishes every check with a !

Labate - Created turnovers, solid on back check. Finished checks well.

Abols - Very surprised with his play. Good skater, good size, protects puck well, goes to the net, plays the boards, initiates contact, and has some skill.

Sadly abols likely wont be a canuck as he has to re-enter the draft I think.

Gaunce was not slow and he plays every shift the same. He will be, at minimum, a solid 3rd line player, but i think he'll be a 2nd as hes got soild offensive skills.

I thought mccaan looked great last night, and jordan subban was the 2nd best dman behind nurse and probably the best canuck.

Updated #Canucks lines at #YoungStarsTournament:

Gaunce-McCann-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Zhukenov-Fox

LaBate-Cassels-Abols

Stewart-Pettit-Martin

On D, Sautner with Hutton,

Brisebois with Subban,

Cederholm with Neill and

Olson with McEneny.

the oilers teenagers made our 21 and 22 year olds look like a peewee hockey team. We got schooled 8-1

Lol. Now this is funny. Witt couldn't stop a puck to save his life. People need to relax and not take one Prospects game so seriously. The team disappeared as the game went on but that happens when everytime you turn around your goalie gets scored on.

Canucks Misconduct@nucksmisconduct 1h1 hour ago

Updated #Canucks lines at #YoungStarsTournament:

Gaunce-McCann-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Zhukenov-Fox

LaBate-Cassels-Abols

Stewart-Pettit-Martin

Brad Ziemer@BradZiemer 1h1 hour ago

On D, Sautner with Hutton,

Brisebois with Subban,

Cederholm with Neill and

Olson with McEneny.

This is looking like more suited to get use of some of Virtanen's offensive potential.

Shinkaruk might be better suited with zhuk & fox.

it was an embarrassing look at our future. Ouch

If the future is dictated by one prospects game in September, then yes it would be embarrassing.

Most rational people understand this game means nothing. The real test will be when our top guys are paired with NHLers and play an actual system.

If the future is dictated by one prospects game in September, then yes it would be embarrassing.

Most rational people understand this game means nothing. The real test will be when our top guys are paired with NHLers and play an actual system.

Yes playing agains't men in the NHL and the stifling d-systems and goal tending is going to be an eye opener for some of these kids. It will also expose the warts x10 as well.

Yes playing agains't men in the NHL and the stifling d-systems and goal tending is going to be an eye opener for some of these kids. It will also expose the warts x10 as well.

At the same time, certain players elevate their game playing with better players. Playing with players who don't think the game as fast can throw off a players rythym.

And then somtimes players just don't have chemistry. It's nice putting all our propsects down on paper and thinking they'll be good together, but sometimes they just never mesh.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know who we chose as captains in the tournament? I thought I saw Shink with an A but I'm curious who the others were.

Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Zalewski wore the A last game. No captain. All 3 were with Green in Utica last year. Looks like Zalewski might come out, so expect someone else to take his letter.

Archived