The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, Pears said:

What would be a good amount to put into these rising stocks for someone like me who has next to no idea how stocks work?

Max out your credit cards and take out a second mortgage /s

But in all seriousness, what is being discussed here is almost akin to gambling.  Although some recommendations were provided many pages back prior to this whole WSB GME situation.  

When deciding to enter the markets, you have to decide on what your ultimate goal is.  Planning for the long-term like retirement or RESP for your child?  More medium term goals like saving up to buy a new car or down payment for a home?  Perhaps very short-term play where you are willing to lose your hand at times?

If you want to just jump into the whole AMC, GME, etc action... just whatever you would normally be willing to lose if you went to Vegas for a weekend trip.  It could be a few hundred bucks or a tens of thousands, it really depends on your personal financial situation and tolerance.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Max out your credit cards and take out a second mortgage /s

But in all seriousness, what is being discussed here is almost akin to gambling.  Although some recommendations were provided many pages back prior to this whole WSB GME situation.  

When deciding to enter the markets, you have to decide on what your ultimate goal is.  Planning for the long-term like retirement or RESP for your child?  More medium term goals like saving up to buy a new car or down payment for a home?  Perhaps very short-term play where you are willing to lose your hand at times?

If you want to just jump into the whole AMC, GME, etc action... just whatever you would normally be willing to lose if you went to Vegas for a weekend trip.  It could be a few hundred bucks or a tens of thousands, it really depends on your personal financial situation and tolerance.  

I have found the current psychology of retail investors really concerning. I admittedly have not been in the market that long and have chased some stock pumping (winning some and losing some), still a LOT to learn about investing in general, but am now building up long term investments that require less day to day managing. What is concerning though, and we are beginning to see more and more of this, is the gambling mentality that is being built up in the market environment.

The whole GME situation is just amping this up even more after TSLA already did a good job hyping people up the past year. There is a massive amount of new retail investors over the past while that have only seen people get huge gains. This have been compounding into people wanting to bet higher and higher stakes. 

Now, what GME has done is amped up the mentality that if a stock DOESN'T go up and provide huge gains, then the system is against them and the market manipulators are at fault - irregardless that they have ZERO clue about investing fundamentals or even know what the hell they are investing in to begin with! The video below is a bit of a rant by a youtube investor who has several channels (this being his least popular subscription wise) and he sums up the current frenzy really well and the dangers that this will provide in the coming days, months, years... 

20 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I have found the current psychology of retail investors really concerning. I admittedly have not been in the market that long and have chased some stock pumping (winning some and losing some), still a LOT to learn about investing in general, but am now building up long term investments that require less day to day managing. What is concerning though, and we are beginning to see more and more of this, is the gambling mentality that is being built up in the market environment.

The whole GME situation is just amping this up even more after TSLA already did a good job hyping people up the past year. There is a massive amount of new retail investors over the past while that have only seen people get huge gains. This have been compounding into people wanting to bet higher and higher stakes. 

Now, what GME has done is amped up the mentality that if a stock DOESN'T go up and provide huge gains, then the system is against them and the market manipulators are at fault - irregardless that they have ZERO clue about investing fundamentals or even know what the hell they are investing in to begin with! The video below is a bit of a rant by a youtube investor who has several channels (this being his least popular subscription wise) and he sums up the current frenzy really well and the dangers that this will provide in the coming days, months, years... 

On the other hand, there IS manipulation going on, and the people who profit among the most out of this situation are the short sellers. Yet those people are the ones directly influencing the market by saying stuff like "this company is overvalued". Why else are they the ones that lose money after a wrong bet?

The hypocrisy is definitely hilarious to watch.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

On the other hand, there IS manipulation going on, and the people who profit among the most out of this situation are the short sellers. Yet those people are the ones directly influencing the market by saying stuff like "this company is overvalued". Why else are they the ones that lose money after a wrong bet?

The hypocrisy is definitely hilarious to watch.

Yeah, I wasn't intending to provide a one sided point of view, just talking about a specific point. There is absolutely manipulation going on, but not everything is manipulation and there definitely a gambling addiction building based on the market gains. I 100% believe Vlad (CEO of Robinhood) is guilty of colluding with Hedge Funds on what had transpired, and that Hedge Funds (among others) have been guilty of taking unfair advantage of the markets and retailers. There are multiple elements accumulating all at once currently and all of these aspects are at play - especially historical facts of the system knowingly screwing people over and then getting bailed out afterwards (ex. 2008 housing collapse). 

On the GME topic specially there were a couple of interviews today that stood out for me:

(1) The CNN reporter laying into the Robinhood CEO who sounds guilty as f*ck. 
https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/01/29/robinhood-ceo-vlad-tenev-gamestop-stock-cpt-vpx.cnn

(2) The Webull CEO explaining his point of view of the circumstances and correctly places blame in the right areas (but not all). 
https://finance.yahoo.com/video/heres-why-robinhood-restricting-users-173049721.html

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I don't think there are that many people who believe that GME is some guaranteed path to riches.  Lots of people have made their money and some with lots and lots of money.... but this whole things as been a meme.  At the beginning, there were legit analysis with some noticing way over-shorting and thus an easy way to cause a short-squeeze via collective effort.  Lots of pumping and meme'ing and it happened.  

Short-sellers got messed up.  Not saying all short-sellers are bad, as they make sure valuation stays sane, but when a stock is 140% oversold... they reap what they sow.  Even after receiving bail out money, many firms still keep shorting, thus making the masses to double down as well.  As much money as hedge funds and other financial firms have.... the collective masses still have way more.  Heck, I'm gonna throw a few thousands into GME once the market opens too.  Ten thousand people like me doing the same and that's tens of millions of dollars.  A hundred thousand people throwing "fun money" around and suddenly it's hundreds of millions.  

Is GME a bubble?  Of course.  I mean, it's freaking EB Games at Metrotown.  Sure, I go there to pick up some second hand games once every blue moon... but I can't really see it surviving long-term.  More importantly, it shows the hypocrisy and collusion that is happening between the powers-that-be, the media, huge corporations, etc.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I don't think there are that many people who believe that GME is some guaranteed path to riches.  Lots of people have made their money and some with lots and lots of money.... but this whole things as been a meme.  At the beginning, there were legit analysis with some noticing way over-shorting and thus an easy way to cause a short-squeeze via collective effort.  Lots of pumping and meme'ing and it happened.  

Short-sellers got messed up.  Not saying all short-sellers are bad, as they make sure valuation stays sane, but when a stock is 140% oversold... they reap what they sow.  Even after receiving bail out money, many firms still keep shorting, thus making the masses to double down as well.  As much money as hedge funds and other financial firms have.... the collective masses still have way more.  Heck, I'm gonna throw a few thousands into GME once the market opens too.  Ten thousand people like me doing the same and that's tens of millions of dollars.  A hundred thousand people throwing "fun money" around and suddenly it's hundreds of millions.  

Is GME a bubble?  Of course.  I mean, it's freaking EB Games at Metrotown.  Sure, I go there to pick up some second hand games once every blue moon... but I can't really see it surviving long-term.  More importantly, it shows the hypocrisy and collusion that is happening between the powers-that-be, the media, huge corporations, etc.  

I had followed GME for awhile now, even on WSBs, and was trying to build an argument to invest in it in my own mind back in the fall but couldn't figure out a solid path for the company to succeed. I honestly didn't know enough about how short squeezes occur to understanding what could transpire - especially to this level. I just thought people were betting on Ryan Cohen turning the company around. I do believe that without him getting involved, the momentum definitely wouldn't of been there to get to where we are today. He sounds and acted convicted enough that he has an idea that could work and all this media attention will probably help his efforts. I kind of want them to just sell the company directly to the retail investors - I mean it was never going to be worth this much anyways right? Why not just sell their own shares to retailers? hahahaha 

Tossing in a few Gs? Sounds like gambling! :P

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Cheers 1

Webull CEO coming out and saying brokerage restrictions came from clearing/settlement firms that required higher collateral for GME, AMC, etc transactions because of the high trading volume.

Good to know that there's another dimension to all of this and props to Webull coming out to provide an explanation, but it also makes me wonder why other brokerages are not coming out to explain this to their customers e.g. RobinHood...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Except as many who are putting in money have explained, they aren't doing it to make a profit, just look on reddit, everyone is prepared to take a loss, they're just doing it as an f-you to wall street. Wall street made the rules they should die by them.

Edited by canuckster19

8 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Webull CEO coming out and saying brokerage restrictions came from clearing/settlement firms that required higher collateral for GME, AMC, etc transactions because of the high trading volume.

Good to know that there's another dimension to all of this and props to Webull coming out to provide an explanation, but it also makes me wonder why other brokerages are not coming out to explain this to their customers e.g. RobinHood...

So basically again the little guy get f-ed over while the big guys get to settle... sounds like a load of h-s-t to me

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

So basically again the little guy get f-ed over while the big guys get to settle... sounds like a load of h-s-t to me

Yeah the remaining question for me is, if this was the case, why wasn't trading halted as opposed to just allowing positions to sell and restricting purchases. There's still some BS to address.

But I think it's important to understand the full picture and keep in mind there's a critical clearing and settlements systems behind everyone's buying and selling and the system will become impacted by this crazy trading volume. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Excellent summary of what's going on. Couldn't agree more. Retail investors don't even think about the possibility that they can lose money. It has become a battle between the retail investors and the hedgefunds. I do have to say that some hedgefund managers obivously made poor decisions and they have to take the consequences now. Fair enough.

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Excellent summary of what's going on. Couldn't agree more. Retail investors don't even think about the possibility that they can lose money. It has become a battle between the retail investors and the hedgefunds. I do have to say that some hedgefund managers obivously made poor decisions and they have to take the consequences now. Fair enough.

And THAT is the rub.

People assume the WSB/retail mob are looking to make money.  But going through the threads you see people outright saying

I don't &$@+7'$ care if I lose $300 let them BURN

It's not about making or generating income.  It's about people who are just there to see the system broken.

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

And THAT is the rub.

People assume the WSB/retail mob are looking to make money.  But going through the threads you see people outright saying

I don't &$@+7'$ care if I lose $300 let them BURN

It's not about making or generating income.  It's about people who are just there to see the system broken.

Maybe, and I hope so because I can respect that, but maybe its just performative statements to earn kudos. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Maybe, and I hope so because I can respect that, but maybe its just performative statements to earn kudos. 

I don't know man.  By all appearances we're seeing people literally buying 1-2-10 shares in the tens and hundreds of thousands across 5-10 various stocks.  Like regular people with $50 to blow.

A lot of these kids live with less than $1000+ in their accounts at all times.  Losing $10 or $100 is no big deal to them.  We're talking hundreds of thousands of people potentially at all hours of possible trading doing this. 

That's just in America.