The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Where do I think it's heading? They're going to pump it as high as possible. $1.9 Trillion in stimulus is coming. Where do you think it's going to wind up? Probably the exact same place all the other stimulus wound up. Remember at the pandemic lows Nasdaq was about 6800, now it's 14,000. That's while the unemployment rate sits at 6.3% and the economy appears to be stalling out. None of this is normal. More and more this market reminds me of 98-99. In '99 Nasdaq was up 85% and then Kaboom. These markets become more of a mania everyday. Only difference is this one is being fueled by government.

Just look at this thread as an example. We maybe have 15-20 regulars a lot of whom are new(ish) to markets. On the weekend my 19 year old nephew told me some of his college buddies are trading stocks. I asked him if they know what they're doing. He said not really they're just having fun/gambling. This is very similar to '99. The vast majority of those who were actively dabbling in '99 were out of the markets by 2001.

There is no such thing as a free lunch in markets. Though admittedly this is probably the longest free lunch I have ever seen. That laws that govern finance dictate it ends in tears. When that end is, is the real question.

I've been thinking more about this... I know you day trade, but what are you're long term investment hedges against this? Once stimulus comes out I think I am going to transition into much more conservative plays.

World Outlook Conference was advocating value stocks and commodities and cash. Owning value won’t prevent their going down but the cash flow likely stands up. Still at 20% gold/silver. I ‘m to old for BITCOIN. Sounds like a ponsi scheme to me. 

So so much volatility in markets I can understand why people are trading on that. I don’t trust my research data enough to be involved.  

Timing is everything. When markets turn down there will be serious shortage of buyers and orders will be hard to fill. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

On the weekend my 19 year old nephew told me some of his college buddies are trading stocks. I asked him if they know what they're doing. He said not really they're just having fun/gambling.

I had a friend reach out over the weekend as well, haven't talked to her in a few years, she's not the brightest nor has any financial literacy - probably couldn't tell you what bears and bulls refer to.

"Hey! How's it going? I was thinking about dabbling in the market I saw a few people turn a hundred dollars into a thousand dollars really quick and I could really use that money! Whats the best video or book to learn?"

:o

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I've been thinking more about this... I know you day trade, but what are you're long term investment hedges against this? Once stimulus comes out I think I am going to transition into much more conservative plays.

My personal belief is you can be a trader or an investor. My long term investments are in real estate.

17 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I had a friend reach out over the weekend as well, haven't talked to her in a few years, she's not the brightest nor has any financial literacy - probably couldn't tell you what bears and bulls refer to.

"Hey! How's it going? I was thinking about dabbling in the market I saw a few people turn a hundred dollars into a thousand dollars really quick and I could really use that money! Whats the best video or book to learn?"

Yeah it's nutty. Everyone and their dog wants in. They're all going to get punished. Here's another sure sign of a top................

Colin Kaepernick forms SPAC, with eye on social justice

Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick is the latest to create a special purpose-acquisition company, seeking to raise up to $287.5 million in an initial public offering.

According to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Kaepernick — the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback who took a knee during the national anthem to protest systemic racism and hasn’t played in the NFL since 2016 — is the co-sponsor and co-chairman of Mission Advancement Corp., working in partnership with The Najafi Cos., a private equity firm.

Mission Advancement will focus on racial justice and diversity issues, and aims to acquire a consumer business with an enterprise value around $1 billion.

“The mission of the Najafi/Kaepernick partnership is to identify, acquire and advance a company with the aim of creating meaningful financial and societal value,” the filing said. “We believe Mr. Kaepernick’s substantial business experience combined with his long-term leadership on racial equity and justice issues will support our success in identifying a prospective target company and adding transformational value to the combined entity.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/colin-kaepernick-forms-spac-with-eye-on-social-justice-11612923568

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like the reddit crew is jumping on the weed bandwagon. Aphria stocks have been soaring the last few days!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/10/cannabis-stocks-soar-as-reddit-crowd-that-spiked-gamestop-jumps-in-tilray-surges-25percent.html

Cannabis stocks soar as Reddit crowd that spiked GameStop jumps in, Tilray surges 25%

16 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

Interesting that the report is citing that the Rivian representatives have spoken to banks. Seems like they have a different path to IPO in mind than most of the companies that went public recently.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

58 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

at least she has shown willingness to learn about the stock market in the first place. Others don't take this step and just jump in. Give her credit for the approach she is taking.

40 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

My personal belief is you can be a trader or an investor. My long term investments are in real estate.

Yeah it's nutty. Everyone and their dog wants in. They're all going to get punished. Here's another sure sign of a top................

Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick is the latest to create a special purpose-acquisition company, seeking to raise up to $287.5 million in an initial public offering.

According to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Kaepernick — the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback who took a knee during the national anthem to protest systemic racism and hasn’t played in the NFL since 2016 — is the co-sponsor and co-chairman of Mission Advancement Corp., working in partnership with The Najafi Cos., a private equity firm.

Mission Advancement will focus on racial justice and diversity issues, and aims to acquire a consumer business with an enterprise value around $1 billion.

“The mission of the Najafi/Kaepernick partnership is to identify, acquire and advance a company with the aim of creating meaningful financial and societal value,” the filing said. “We believe Mr. Kaepernick’s substantial business experience combined with his long-term leadership on racial equity and justice issues will support our success in identifying a prospective target company and adding transformational value to the combined entity.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/colin-kaepernick-forms-spac-with-eye-on-social-justice-11612923568

There's an article about 'celebrity SPACs'. Kaepernick, Shaq, etc. 

https://www.benzinga.com/news/21/02/19562249/5-celebrity-spacs-to-consider-shaq-serena-steph-a-rod-and-ciara

I am not sure about giving my money to Ciara...

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Oh man!