The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Post-Game] Vancouver drubs Calgary.

Odd.

still no love for Fox, he better get a invite.

Fox - showed he can position in the right spots and get scoring chances

shinkurak - showed he can make plays eg skill

Mccann - showed his hockey iq off

Brisebois - enjoyed him watching him

Hutton - played well

Subban - showed he can make a quick pass under pressure, he will go to the AHL work on getting quicker

Virtanen - he has a NHL body, that's about it and maybe that's why he makes the big team. Yes he scored but it was on 3 on 3, im still not impressed but his NHL body might get him games. I told you guys I see a Chris Krieder in him nothing more so far.

Cassels - wasn't as impressive but he is a career 3rd liner so putting high expectations on him is not right

Gaunce - played like a 3rd liner

Mackenize Stewart- yes sir, played like a true fourth liner, hit hard n fought.

shink looks like a perfect piece of a trade package right now. thoughts?

yes trade the guy who shows he has skill so we can get more grinders lol god forbid a prospect shows some potential, OHHHHH TRADE HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!WE NEED TO WIN THE STANELY CUP NOWWWWWWW EVEN THOUGH THIS CORE HAS LOST 4 TIMES NOW.

rather add him as a piece for the future.

I think we may see a lot of the guy who failed to backcheck getting a breakaway. Most won't have Virtanen's wheels though. Not very excited about 3 on 3 to be honest.

I am kind of surprised that everyone is so fired up about Stewart. Good size, good skating, and can hit, yeah, but that may as well have been a baseball bat he was holding. I would be he goes to the ECHL to get some reps. I wonder if a) he's pissed about having his position switched or, b ) it'll de-rail his career. He looks comfortable on the ice, and in the corners, just not around the puck.

agreed, I wasn't overly impressed with Stewart.......a low risk project though.

yes trade the guy who shows he has skill so we can get more grinders lol god forbid a prospect shows some potential, OHHHHH TRADE HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!WE NEED TO WIN THE STANELY CUP NOWWWWWWW EVEN THOUGH THIS CORE HAS LOST 4 TIMES NOW.

Do you listen to yourself talk or just enjoy every opportunity to speak in capitals. He didn't say trade him for a grinder or a vet, he said package him. He is the perfect trade bait on the Canucks prospect roster. It takes money to make money and we have skilled winger prospects moving forward, we don't have a young stable defensemen.

How does this guy get banned, but Desi is still around after years???

But anyway, VIRTY!!

I ask myself the same question every time this idiot posts.

Hutton - played well

Subban - showed he can make a quick pass under pressure, he will go to the AHL work on getting quicker

Virtanen - he has a NHL body, that's about it and maybe that's why he makes the big team. Yes he scored but it was on 3 on 3, im still not impressed but his NHL body might get him games. I told you guys I see a Chris Krieder in him nothing more so far.

Cassels - wasn't as impressive but he is a career 3rd liner so putting high expectations on him is not right

I think we may see a lot of the guy who failed to backcheck getting a breakaway. Most won't have Virtanen's wheels though. Not very excited about 3 on 3 to be honest.

I am kind of surprised that everyone is so fired up about Stewart. Good size, good skating, and can hit, yeah, but that may as well have been a baseball bat he was holding. I would be he goes to the ECHL to get some reps. I wonder if a) he's pissed about having his position switched or, b ) it'll de-rail his career. He looks comfortable on the ice, and in the corners, just not around the puck.

Helps if you'd watched/listened to the games. Stewart himself wanted to switch to forward so he'd be able to throw more hits. I do agree that he really didn't show much else though. Was hoping to see more energy from him. He looked a bit slow with his hands when he'd get the puck. Still, I can see him developing well. Only his 2nd year after being drafted.

Solid team effort last night, they kept the Lames to the outside for the most part and supported each other pretty well too. Witt wasn't quite as swiss cheesey as the Coilers game but our D did a better job of not hanging him out to dry.

None of the prospects played like they're a lock for the big club though, Gaunce's tourney was probably the most consistent and "pro", despite not playing last night. Shink picked it up a lot in Gaunce's absence I thought, but he just seemed to try a little too hard and picked up a couple of pretty dumb penalties.

Virtanen proved to be pretty clutch last night, and had a pretty good tourney all in all, if he doesn't make the NHL this year, he's gonna hurt a lot of kids in the dub.

Subban's way better than I've ever given him credit for, plays bigger than he is (thank god), sees the ice well, has a good shot. His development seemed pretty rapid this year.

Hutton! Nice.

I'm guessing Virt gets his 9 games, who knows if he'll make the best of them and sticks. Gaunce seems to have the best chance of cracking the roster. I'd expect to see Shink and Hutton called up this season.

Do you listen to yourself talk or just enjoy every opportunity to speak in capitals. He didn't say trade him for a grinder or a vet, he said package him. He is the perfect trade bait on the Canucks prospect roster. It takes money to make money and we have skilled winger prospects moving forward, we don't have a young stable defensemen.

No, we really don't. Shinkaruk is the only prospect we have that can be considered a sniper. He has the most desire to score goals out of any of our prospects, and maybe even players right now. That and he's shown himself to be adjustable and coachable by learning to work on his defensive weaknesses under Travis Green.

No, we really don't. Shinkaruk is the only prospect we have that can be considered a sniper. He has the most desire to score goals out of any of our prospects, and maybe even players right now. That and he's shown himself to be adjustable and coachable by learning to work on his defensive weaknesses under Travis Green.

you realize there's more skill involved in hockey than shooting right?

Brock Boeser is a pure goal scorer

Solid team effort last night, they kept the Lames to the outside for the most part and supported each other pretty well too. Witt wasn't quite as swiss cheesey as the Coilers game but our D did a better job of not hanging him out to dry.

None of the prospects played like they're a lock for the big club though, Gaunce's tourney was probably the most consistent and "pro", despite not playing last night. Shink picked it up a lot in Gaunce's absence I thought, but he just seemed to try a little too hard and picked up a couple of pretty dumb penalties.

Virtanen proved to be pretty clutch last night, and had a pretty good tourney all in all, if he doesn't make the NHL this year, he's gonna hurt a lot of kids in the dub.

Subban's way better than I've ever given him credit for, plays bigger than he is (thank god), sees the ice well, has a good shot. His development seemed pretty rapid this year.

Hutton! Nice.

I'm guessing Virt gets his 9 games, who knows if he'll make the best of them and sticks. Gaunce seems to have the best chance of cracking the roster. I'd expect to see Shink and Hutton called up this season.

If Gaunce can look good in a scrambly tournament like this I think he's going to really turn some heads come camp. I think he'll be the first call up this year over Jensen.

I don't think Shinkaruk will make much of an impact this year. He still looks to have potential and he has the right attitude but being a 2nd line or bust kinda guy he'll need another year in the AHL to mature

If Gaunce can look good in a scrambly tournament like this I think he's going to really turn some heads come camp. I think he'll be the first call up this year over Jensen.

I don't think Shinkaruk will make much of an impact this year. He still looks to have potential and he has the right attitude but being a 2nd line or bust kinda guy he'll need another year in the AHL to mature

I'm interested to see the work Jensen put in over the summer. Haven't heard much about him.

If his mindset is anything like Vey's this should be the summer that defines his career.

you realize there's more skill involved in hockey than shooting right?

You realize we don't have anybody on the team that can shoot like Shinkaruk can right? Shinkaruk is far and away our best offensive talent on the left wing.

Brock Boeser is a pure goal scorer

Pure goal scorer =/= sniper. Boeser also plays on the opposite wing. Furthermore, every single prospect does not translate well in pro hockey. Shinkaruk is doing a decent job. No need to jump the gun and trade him away with no definite replacement.

Benning said all Canucks drafted players will be invited to main camp.

Said he was most impressed with McCann, Virtanen, Gaunce, and Hutton. No mention of Subban.

Hutton - played well

Oil > edit, I thought I hit response to Ossi!

First; Jake has all kinds of hit and fight in him that you will never see in Kreider. There is definitely more potential. Second; Kreider, even if a bit soft, is an absolute handful as a match up problem for every team the Rag's play. 225 lbs at rocket speed that D, even good D cannot handle. See Montreal having had to shield Former all star Markov or youngster Beaulieu from him. That would not be a bad problem for us at all if this was Jake's floor! Or if he turned into a Dustin Brown. also a distinct possibility? If he is a combination we could have a perennial all star. And yes that is within his ceiling.

Give it a chance?

I am curious that Subban was not mentioned. I suppose he was not solid in game 1. Clearly has the most skills with the puck, and speed, of any of our D prospects. Clearly! I liked Subban.

Sorry, I disagree.

Virtanen had 40 plus goals his draft year and has an absolutely wicked shot. He has goal scoring potential in the very least. Someone else mentioned Boeser. How about Baertschi? McCann has snipe! And there is also a window for zhukenov & the kid Jasek. fox will also score if he can get his speed to NHL level. Maybe Jensen will make it. I have not given up, perhaps foolishly, as perhaps Benning has?

What is vastly hard to project;

- A D man who can fly, dangle and command the play with the puck on his stick. Subban, who has questions, is our only shot?

- An elite puck possession, play making pivot. McCann might be our closest ( a Krejci calibre top liner as his ceiling would be awesome?). Followed by zhukenov and maybe Jasek from the wing. But the last two have even more questions than Subban where they may have some potential...

Oil > edit, I thought I hit response to Ossi!

First; Jake has all kinds of hit and fight in him that you will never see in Kreider. There is definitely more potential. Second; Kreider, even if a bit soft, is an absolute handful as a match up problem for every team the Rag's play.

Kreider isn't soft and although he doesn't run hot like Virtanen alot of the time he hits hard and pretty often.

Very physical in the 2014 playoffs and is already hated by many in the east.

I still think he's the NHL player with the most similar skillset to Virtanen. A bit bigger but Virtanen is a little meaner and has a better shot IMO.

Archived