The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's with the Vrbata hate?

CanucksJay

He was our leading scorer last season (by a wide margin) and despite being injured still tied for team lead in goals and points in the playoffs (where our entire team minus Horvat showed up)

This year there seems to be a lot of criticism on him when we are only 4 games in. Despite not scoring, am I the only one seeing him leading the team in shots? Every game he seems to get at least one grade A opportunity to score and usually more but the puck just isn't going in for him right now. His skill and shot is just too good to continue to go goal less. However I'm reading things like he's checked out, playing disinterested, sulking, etc. I definitely don't see that from him. I see him being in the right spots for shots (like he has his entire career) except he's just failed to score on chances he normally converts on. If he doesn't care or checked out, he wouldn't even fight to be in the open ice for the chances he's getting. Even if a player is disinterested or lazy, anybody on this earth would still try their best to score if they were faced with a great opportunity to score. The majority of the work required to score goals is to get to the areas where you can score and Vrbata is definitely doing that.

He's a niche player, regular season fantasy owner's dream, playoff team's nightmare.

Unlike what a lot of people on here seem to think, I believe he is one of our hardest working forwards.

It's not that he's disinterested or refuses to engage in the play- it's that his approach to the game is much like Baertschi's. It's clear that without the Hanzal's and Doan's wreaking havoc that he gets suffocated by the defense that would otherwise have their hands full with his linemates.

I'm sure as soon as one him or Baer is dropped from Horvat's wing we'll see a rise in production from both.

Some lines don't mesh and his line doesn't ...yet. They'll get going yet its just his gunsight's off a bit right now.

On a side note it must be tough knowing the team and the fans know he's playing out this contract towards free agency.But notwithstanding that fact , the better he plays the more he'll get paid from his next contract (and if we go far enough in the playoffs-a huge if- he might stick around)

Him Hamuis and a couple other veterans have to see the that they've got new guys pushing for their jobs.

I haven't seen too much hate. He hasn't been getting it done yet, but I'm expecting it to take him a bit. He's had some chances and soon his luck will turn.

The one thing that could be construed as "hate" is that I want him to be traded at the trade deadline -- not because I dislike him, but because he's aging, his contract is expiring, and he may get us a large return for a desperate team that is overpaying.

Probably some Euro hate.

Remember the hate Demitra got? Provided good offense, and helped (along with Sundin) to make Kesler into an offensive player, the RPM line. Year after, got injured and placed into the 3rd line..... due to AV's hard-on on playing Raymond ahead of him. One of the top player in the Olympics... then given linemates consisting of Steve Bernier and Kyle Wellwood.

Fans ragged on him because of that... and because he was "soft".... so he attempted to bodycheck a Hawks player in the playoff and got concussed.

Next was Samuelsson.... good first year (53 points and especially the series against LA) and very good second year (50 points).... except he got more assists instead of goals... since he was replace from the 1st PP by Kesler. Suddenly fans were hating on him for "not producing".

Lets not forget Naslund. Sure, "fans" now sing praises about him, but the entire time he was here he got hate targeted towards him. During his early years.... people were calling him a bust. Once he got things rolling and because captain, they kept ranting on about how a European captain CAN'T win the Stanley Cup. How he's not a truculent player and a no-show for the post-season (low production for his first stint, his 1 year under AV, another year under Torts). The whole "OMG.... Give the C back to Linden!!!!"

in the playoffs (where our entire team minus Horvat showed up)

I know what you are trying to say but this wasn't worded right.

As for Vrbata people are upset with last playoffs where frankly he didn't do too well put no one did except Horvat and the Sedona so now he is on a shorter leash. That paired with the fact that the second line hasn't been a factor yet and the potential to sell Vrbata for a 1st round pick+ people just want him gone.

He doesnt have 5+ goals yet thats why!! HE SUCKS!

Just kidding, but he hasnt looked as engaged as last season, almost floating. His shots been off so far too.

His highlight so far is his shootout goal. I think hes just having a slow start.

No worries he will be fine! Unless he gets that hurricane eye goal song then it might actually de-motivate him to score :bigblush:

Probably some Euro hate.

Remember the hate Demitra got? Provided good offense, and helped (along with Sundin) to make Kesler into an offensive player, the RPM line. Year after, got injured and placed into the 3rd line..... due to AV's hard-on on playing Raymond ahead of him. One of the top player in the Olympics... then given linemates consisting of Steve Bernier and Kyle Wellwood.

Fans ragged on him because of that... and because he was "soft".... so he attempted to bodycheck a Hawks player in the playoff and got concussed.

Next was Samuelsson.... good first year (53 points and especially the series against LA) and very good second year (50 points).... except he got more assists instead of goals... since he was replace from the 1st PP by Kesler. Suddenly fans were hating on him for "not producing".

Lets not forget Naslund. Sure, "fans" now sing praises about him, but the entire time he was here he got hate targeted towards him. During his early years.... people were calling him a bust. Once he got things rolling and because captain, they kept ranting on about how a European captain CAN'T win the Stanley Cup. How he's not a truculent player and a no-show for the post-season (low production for his first stint, his 1 year under AV, another year under Torts). The whole "OMG.... Give the C back to Linden!!!!"

This is all true.. Good points, a large group of vancouverites can be ruthless

Probably some Euro hate.

I agree with this and the OP.

Remember near the end of Naslund's Canucks career, the team was more of a checking defense first style, and when he wasn't producing like before, there were lot of talk of wanting him traded, he was over rated, etc. Vrbata is a valuable piece of the puzzle, the opposition can't rely on only shutting down the Sedin line like they have in the past to win against the Canucks.

I'll bring on the hate. I think he just doesn't fit our team. The Sedins don't like playing with him that's fairly obvious, that leaves the second line with Horvat and they have yet to mesh. He's a UFA after this season and after the no-show in last years playoffs why would we resign him? Why would he want to resign? Sure it's a possibility that the Canucks could contend for a cup but with that D core and a aging starting goalie that's seems pretty remote. Trading Vrbata for either a draft pick or Dman should be managements top priority. So there's my hate.

Archived