The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver 4-3 Arizona

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Didn't get to see game.  Glad to see us get 3 of 4 on short trip.  Good for Sbisa, just hope he continues to improve decision making on the ice.

Hopefully this cements McCann's spot in the lineup.  Like Bo last year he will see his usage grow as the coach learns to trust him and he earns it.  That is life in the NHL, you need to earn your minutes.  When they are just gifted to you because of draft position you get the Oilers (though that seems to be changing with new regime).

Jake has one more game but I think he likely goes down, I hope he does.  If he can go down and really focus on going hard to the net and generating shots it would be best thing for him.  Gaunce and Cracknell can fill the role he has been in and we still have some guys in the AHL that can fill in well for top or bottom six forwards this year.  

Disagree. This is where Jake's career as an NHLer begins...up and down the wing, getting pucks in, getting pucks out, getting in on the forecheck. He can go back to the WHL and be the scorer, but he's already been there and done that. If he is sent down and starts over here again at the beginning of next season, he still starts from this same place....up and down the wing, pucks in, pucks out. He wouldn't be any more of a complete player here next year after another season in junior. There's no pressure on him to score here right now which is good...because he won't score much this season if he stays. Only reps at this level will get him closer to being an offensive contributor. In the meantime, learning to grind it out this year will be a year well-spent. For a physical force like he is, it's the first baptism of fire he needs to go through. He'll have some good nights and have some tough ones, but he'll progressing and that's what matters.

Disagree. This is where Jake's career as an NHLer begins...up and down the wing, getting pucks in, getting pucks out, getting in on the forecheck. He can go back to the WHL and be the scorer, but he's already been there and done that. If he is sent down and starts over here again at the beginning of next season, he still starts from this same place....up and down the wing, pucks in, pucks out. He wouldn't be any more of a complete player here next year after another season in junior. There's no pressure on him to score here right now which is good...because he won't score much this season if he stays. Only reps at this level will get him closer to being an offensive contributor. In the meantime, learning to grind it out this year will be a year well-spent. For a physical force like he is, it's the first baptism of fire he needs to go through. He'll have some good nights and have some tough ones, but he'll progressing and that's what matters.

Hey Jack, I tend to agree with you. Only doubt in my mind is when I think about guys like Brule and Klesla who were high draft picks and were put into the league way to fast.  I suppose the difference here is we have a good cast of veterans who can take the brunt of the load while the young guys are brought along playing sheltered situations and minutes.  

Can you have too many kids on the team?  Yes... But it would also be great to have them grow up together building friendships on and off the ice.  I'd personally keep McCann and Virtanen past game #9.  If Virtanen shows limited offensive than he will be on the world juniors and then maybe sent down to build his offensive game.  We didn't draft Jake to play a 4th line role?  Could he develop his offensive game in the NHL playing that 3rd or 4th line role?  Jake has a NHL body, but needs to build the confidence offensively.  He will definitely be at the WJC.  If he stars at the tournament he will be back in Vancouver, if he struggles they will have a decision to make.  I'd also like to see Gaunce on the team.  I'd argue that Baertschi has been the least effective young player this season.  It seems like we have another Linden Vey on the team.  Bart doesn't fit in the top or bottom six in the NHL.  He is a top six forward in the AHL.  McCann, Virtanen and Gaunce are fitting team roles and contributing to the teams early season success!  Go Canucks Go!

Hey Jack, I tend to agree with you. Only doubt in my mind is when I think about guys like Brule and Klesla who were high draft picks and were put into the league way to fast.  I suppose the difference here is we have a good cast of veterans who can take the brunt of the load while the young guys are brought along playing sheltered situations and minutes.  

brule doesn't/didn't have jakes stature and was injured early on as a result.

not really comparable.

imo I see no gain for jake in junior another year against kids.  Losing him, and I say it is a team loss, will definitely cause a void in our physicality department.  It's not all about goals.  He's on the right line and path and his time will come.

id rather jake stay and cracknell replace Sven.

I think McCann has shown too much to be sent back to Junior. I believe he stays.

Virtanen, I'm not so sure about. I'd hate to lose the physical presence that he brings and I don't think another year of Junior does him a lot of good, but I wonder how much room there will be a t forward, once Higgy returns.

Tough call there and I'm glad I don't have to make it.

Good win last night, but I have to admit that as much as I like the Canucks' current youngsters, I'm jealous of Domi and Duclair. I still can't believe the Rags gave up The Duke, just to get Keith Yandle. 

Can you have too many kids on the team?  Yes... But it would also be great to have them grow up together building friendships on and off the ice.  I'd personally keep McCann and Virtanen past game #9.  If Virtanen shows limited offensive than he will be on the world juniors and then maybe sent down to build his offensive game.  We didn't draft Jake to play a 4th line role?  Could he develop his offensive game in the NHL playing that 3rd or 4th line role?  Jake has a NHL body, but needs to build the confidence offensively.  He will definitely be at the WJC.  If he stars at the tournament he will be back in Vancouver, if he struggles they will have a decision to make.  I'd also like to see Gaunce on the team.  I'd argue that Baertschi has been the least effective young player this season.  It seems like we have another Linden Vey on the team.  Bart doesn't fit in the top or bottom six in the NHL.  He is a top six forward in the AHL.  McCann, Virtanen and Gaunce are fitting team roles and contributing to the teams early season success!  Go Canucks Go!

just because he isnt putting points up yet doesnt mean he isnt doing great  his corsi is one of best on team the points will come. Veys weak 200 ft game has nothing on baerchi dont be so stupid 

Great take on Jake's situation. The more I watch the more obvious that he will do better in Vancouver. Really reluctant to turn

any of his development time back to Calgary. His physical play has been impressive from the start. Blown away last night when I see this back checker in a Van uni and realize it is Virtanen. He came into the ozone on the LW, swung around the Yotes net and came back down the ice on the RW, caught up with the Yotes play. He will get coaching in Van which will bring him along.

Great take on Jake's situation. The more I watch the more obvious that he will do better in Vancouver. Really reluctant to turn

any of his development time back to Calgary. His physical play has been impressive from the start. Blown away last night when I see this back checker in a Van uni and realize it is Virtanen. He came into the ozone on the LW, swung around the Yotes net and came back down the ice on the RW, caught up with the Yotes play. He will get coaching in Van which will bring him along.

right now he is a like a lump of really high quality clay, at it's most malleable and shapeable........do we really want to turn that over to another, less qualified organization to shape?  I know I don't.  

He absolutely does not look out of place in any aspect of the game.  Move a cpl of tweener vets.

right now he is a like a lump of really high quality clay, at it's most malleable and shapeable........do we really want to turn that over to another, less qualified organization to shape?  I know I don't.  

He absolutely does not look out of place in any aspect of the game.  Move a cpl of tweener vets.

bang on.  He's already way better than Hansen at providing what Hansen provided.  What's Hansen worth, or is he another of Gillis' NTC boys?

Willie drives me nuts, this team barely won. When the heck is he going to give a chance to Mccann with a empty net? I bet you he scores, time to pass the torch to guys like Mccann or atleast give them a chance. Especially with a 2 goal lead, I was extremely rattled why the Sedins were on with a 2 goal lead!!!!!!!!

YOU drive everyone nuts.

Archived