The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dispelling six myths about Sven Baertschi - Pass it to Bulis

Zuongo

Some of the argument is flawed or with shaky reasoning. Outright ignoring the need for puck battles, or looking over quality of competition in relation to his possession doesn't hold much weight.  

I agree with most of it though. I've felt just from watching Sven, that he's making the right moves, he's always looking to make a play and has dynamic moves with the puck. I've also noticed him backcheck with frequency, even not to come away with the puck but to at least be in position. I would also agree that to some extent his lack of production has been closely related to bad luck, and his line not producing. 

Baertschi is in a tough spot though. With Higgins returning, Cracknell looking solid and Gaunce providing further competition at LW, Baer has his work cut out for him to maintain a regular roster spot. I think he'll have a few more games to show case himself but ultimately he could be looking at some healthy scratches when Higgins/Prust both return to LW. 

I watched him live last night, and liked his effort. 

He is soft, but always looks to make a play, even if he knows he might get hit. Several times, he quickly turned to protect the puck in the neutral zone, and then chipped it in--allowing a full line change on both offense and defense, while killing the clock. Sometimes it looked like the whole team was abandoning him, but he put a lot of pressure on himself to make that play, even though he's not particularly strong along the boards. He seems to know when to carry it in, or dump it, and when he loses the puck he comes right back on the forecheck using his speed. 

He's a smart player, who doesn't deserve the blame he's gotten. He's had only one -1 game, and that was the first game this season. 

Like Willie said, he's "just not in the groove" offensively, but that lack of production can be attributed to Bo and Radim squandering their chances at the beginning of this season. The thing that stood out to me was the possession numbers, versus the Canucks' shooting percentage with him on the ice. 

I don't mind if he slips under the radar, as long as the coach trusts him and he is actually playing well, regardless of what fans see. I can see him developing into the kind of player who puts up 40-50 points without ever being that noticeable on the ice, because of his style. He could be one of those players whose value isn't readily apparent until they aren't playing.

There is no way he passes waivers. He lit up in Utica and then had an excellent preseason. Now in the NHL he has only put up 4 helpers, but has also contributed an excellent corsi and possession game. Besides, he is making the team better by playing for us. Chris Higgins probably wouldn't be any more exciting, while only being slightly better defensively and also a weaker possession player.

He has played well enough so far to earn him more than a measly 12 games. You don't give up on a player who is improving, plays a strong possession game, and is generating chances only 12 games into his first season with your team. That's idiotic asset management.

Toronto would claim him for sure, if no one else. They have a thing for snapping up our players.

5.  I think Bearcheese is being handled by WD better this season than Vey was last season.  He's had to earn his role, while Vey was gift-wrapped his at the start.  The question is if Bearcheese improves with us, and so far he has.  All we can do is hope that continues.

What's the line between earned and gift wrapped? The truth is last year Vey played very well in preseason, particularly on the pp. Would that not be earning his chance including pp? And he produced to start the season. Is that not also earning it? Didn't Virtanen, McCann and Hutton earn their chance by playing well in preseason? Why is it a gift for one but earned by others when they got their opportunities in the same way? Truth be told Horvat was the one given a gift as he really wasn't that good in last years preseason. Willie was actually in favor of sending Horvat back to junior but Benning "gifted" him a roster spot. In the end the guy that earned it couldn't keep it up while the guy that was "gifted" a spot got better through the season. Maybe gifts aren't such a bad thing after all.

Sven and the fans just need to all sit back and be a little patient. No matter what happens on the ice not many people seem to take into consideration that this is his first real year in the NHL. People criticise him like he is a season veteran. Why should McCann be able to get away with his defensive lapse while Virtanen is forgiven for his lack of offensive production as long as he is getting the hits. This kid has been going through a line merry go round this whole year, scratched for a couple of games, answers tough questions night after night, for a rookie, this kid has shown potential just like the other rookies. Sven will be alright as long as the whipping boy sticker is peeled off his helmet.

I was one of the throng who always felt intensely disappointed with Raymond. So much in the way of raw tools, but could never put it together because he was so soft. I always wished he would focus on becoming a passer rather than carrying the puck and limp-wristing it into the goalies chest prior to falling down.

That's all to say that Baertschi COULD become that type of soft player if we're patient with him. I'm not a huge fan because there's no hope that he'll ever NOT be a soft player I don't think. On the other hand, he tries hard and he's got really good vision. Some of the passes I've been watching him make are excellent and I think it's only a matter of time before more of those start getting converted...

Those still not pleased with Sven, or not impressed or seeing no future are not old enough to remember the Sedins' first 2 seasons in vancouver.  Let alone Naslund after he came over from Pittsburgh

Could control the puck, looked to make plays, soft, didn't get into battles etc.  But wait, we let them play and they turned in to 3 of our greatest players ever.

Sven for his moments looks a lot like Naslund did as a kid.  I'm nowhere near ready to give up on him.  You can see where his skill set lies and we will need that in the future without question.

You can try and analyse it with advanced statistics, discuss "sheltered minutes" and so on. But the main focus when you're looking at a young players should be, is he becoming a better player? And with Baetschi it's a yes for me at least. 

And he's certainly good enough to play in this league. So far he has 4 points in 10 games when playing 11 minutes a game. if he could be more effective, he'll get more minutes and produce more points as well. Which I think is just a matter of time. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he had 40 points when we summarise this season, which his a totally acceptable rookie season.  

I would also agree that to some extent his lack of production has been closely related to bad luck, and his line not producing. 

Exactly ..... this thread would have an entirely different tone had Vrby converted the 2 or 3 chances Bae gift wrapped for him in the first 2 or 3 games

Baertschi is in a tough spot though. With Higgins returning, Cracknell looking solid and Gaunce providing further competition at LW, Baer has his work cut out for him to maintain a regular roster spot.

In WD's latest presser looks like Gaunce will be returning to the Comets

I was one of the throng who always felt intensely disappointed with Raymond. So much in the way of raw tools, but could never put it together because he was so soft. I always wished he would focus on becoming a passer rather than carrying the puck and limp-wristing it into the goalies chest prior to falling down.

That's all to say that Baertschi COULD become that type of soft player if we're patient with him. I'm not a huge fan because there's no hope that he'll ever NOT be a soft player I don't think. On the other hand, he tries hard and he's got really good vision. Some of the passes I've been watching him make are excellent and I think it's only a matter of time before more of those start getting converted...

Raymond is one of few that is noticeably faster than Sven.  But just faster, a bit taller in raw tools. I mean he does play good defence. That's less related to physical tools.

Baer has agility & quickness, sic dangles, balance (lol Raymond), vision, a much bigger variety of shots, the saucer pass. So many tools Raymond only dreams of.

this article basically sums up what I've noticed as well. he is taking whats there, moving the puck quick, and he is on pace for more production than vey with less minutes. he is adding little things to his game and is adapting to the nhl. the last thing you need too worry about with sven is his ability to make the pass and to shoot the puck - the goals will come.

He is cerebral and calculated, he needs the time to continue getting used to the league and learning from pros. He'll be good for 40pts once he settles in with pp2 time

I would not put Baerchi in the same group as our other young players such as Virtanen,McCann and Hutton. For these players, this is their first attempt to make the jump to the NHL. For Sven this is his second chance as he was put into the line up for 4 seasons with Calgary before coming to Vancouver. For this reason, I believe he should not be afforded the same "rookie" designation as our other young players who are 3-4 years younger than him.

His biggest assets are his passing skills and vision. With the lack of other attributes he would be considered a "play maker". A player similar to his style would be "Derek Roy". Roy was effective because he produced points. We all know what happened to him when he failed to produce points.

I guess we can use the "bad luck" excuse for awhile but eventually he is going to need to produce to be an effective NHLer. I am hoping that he eventually starts racking up the points but I think his time is gradually running out and his contract that he recently signed dictates that.

I guess we can use the "bad luck" excuse for awhile but eventually he is going to need to produce to be an effective NHLer. 

that's the point though, statistically he's been better than vey and analytically he's due for more points given his play(unlike vey), and he hasn't been a liability. he's 7th in fwd pp time, and bottom 4 in mins every night.

With Higgins coming back, I'd be concerned if Willie D was making the call on Sven's future but glad it's GMJB . He traded a 2nd for him,  he saw potential in him, and I bet he still does see potential in him. So  basically,  I don't see Sven going anywhere. Instead I see some vets being traded forcing Willie's hand even more 

With Higgins coming back, I'd be concerned if Willie D was making the call on Sven's future but glad it's GMJB . He traded a 2nd for him,  he saw potential in him, and I bet he still does see potential in him. So  basically,  I don't see Sven going anywhere. Instead I see some vets being traded forcing Willie's hand even more 

Classic Billy Beane

A lot of speculation in your statement with maybe even a touch of wishful thinking.

Definitely looked more dynamic last year when he was paired up with Bonino, a more natural passer, and Vrbata a gifted forward. He could do things with that line that Burrows or Higgins couldn't. He's not going to get those same passes playing with heads-down guys like Horvat, Hansen, or Sutter. 

If playing the year with Bo and Hansen make him a better overall player, then it's easier to put him on a line with guys like McCann and Virtanen, in the future.

Archived