The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers Race to 5th First Overall Pick in 7 Years

guntrix

That's what happens when you don't draft defensemen.

Also, name 1 notable player drafted by Edmonton outside of the first round in the past 5 years....can't do it, cause their scouting sucks.

The all time great GM's will tell you, build from the net out. Instead they went with all out offense which never works.

9 hours ago, guntrix said:

With every passing game, it seems like the Oilers will be in the mix for the first overall again. Even with McDavid back later, I doubt they'll climb that much.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in a few years when they realize they can't resign all these players and still stay under the cap. 

Not if the Canucks and their special teams have anything to say about it.

2 hours ago, BaerOxHitman said:

That's what happens when you don't draft defensemen.

Also, name 1 notable player drafted by Edmonton outside of the first round in the past 5 years....can't do it, cause their scouting sucks.

The all time great GM's will tell you, build from the net out. Instead they went with all out offense which never works.

This is it in a nutshell.

From 2004-2012, the Oilers had 56 non-first-round picks. Of all those picks, how many have gone on to play 200+ games? ONE! Just Jeff Petry.

Even though the Canucks are far from draft wizards, they had three. However, they were all from the 2004 draft: Alex Edler, Mike Brown, and Jannick Hansen. Part of our current problems is not finding any since.

Contrast that with Chicago, who in the same period drafted Bolland, Bickell, Brouwer, Hjalmarsson, Kruger, Saad, and Shaw outside of the 1st round. Montreal found Emelin, Grabovski, Streit, Latendresse, D'Agostini, Kostitsyn, Subban, Weber, and Gallagher. Los Angeles unearthed Quick, Simmonds, Martinez, King, Clifford, and Nolan (not to mention Toffoli, who will be at 200 shortly). Rangers drafted Dubinsky, Callahan, Pyatt, Anisimov, Hagelin, Stepan, Weise. Nashville cleaned up with Santorelli, Rinne, Franson, Hornqvist, Spaling, Josi, Smith, Bourque...

Just think of how much better off Edmonton's D would be if they managed to find a couple of defensemen like Subban, Streit, Edler, Hjalmarsson, Martinez, or Franson with their later picks.

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

They improved on paper though! Same with that other Alberta team who allegedly got better. Yet the Canucks are still better than both.

For how long can we stay ahead of these teams if they keep drafting ahead of us?  As soon as the Twins go, so do we.  I don't know how to get some top five picks, other than being crappy, but we need those types of prospects, and now.:blink:

20 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I'm not sure that exists outside of Price, Lundqvist, and Luongo in his prime.

Hell, Corey Crawford can steal games for the Blackhawks even if they are playing a bad game. I've seen Crawford win games for the Hawks despite the Hawks playing terrible hockey.

7 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Hell, Corey Crawford can steal games for the Blackhawks even if they are playing a bad game. I've seen Crawford win games for the Hawks despite the Hawks playing terrible hockey.

Ben Scrivens stole games for the Oilers.  Hell, Bernier stole games for the Leafs.  Any goalie can steal games.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Ben Scrivens stole games for the Oilers.  Hell, Bernier stole games for the Leafs.  Any goalie can steal games.

13 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

I think the key is that the Oilers need nearly every game stolen, not just every once in a while.

11 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I think the key is that the Oilers need nearly every game stolen, not just every once in a while.

Now, considering the Oilers have all these (so called) highly valued players in trade, why do they need their goalie to steal games?  I keep hearing - on this board - that the Oilers have players worth guys like Seth Jones, or Travis Hamonic straight up; I just don't see that level of value in any of the Oilers not named McDavid. (Who is, of course, debatably to most valued player currently on the league.)

Haha love it, karma is a beehatch.  Hoped they enjoyed those cups in the 1980's... they were so humble about it, and sober.  Just wait for the next McJesus injury(it'll happen).  Trade away those 'flakes' and watch them become all stars (Dubynk).  I bet RNH and Eberle are salivating over this.

Archived