The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alex Semin

Baer.

45 minutes ago, apollo said:

Wow... At that cap hit... Imagine with the sedins. Hansen is needed for the rest of the team. 

I would take him if I was GM. If it works, u trade a higher cap forward. 

Burrows to Montreal for 2nd and a dman. Burr will lead them to a cup. 

Don't get me wrong, Alex is my favourite player. Nicest guy I ever met... Tied with tuzzi. 

Burrows is at best a third liner on Montreal when they're healthy. With a cap hit of $4.5m for the next 2 seasons he makes zero sense for them. And to suggest he's worth a 2nd and a defenceman is just homer wishful thinking. But I guess that goes without saying considering the source

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Burrows is at best a third liner on Montreal when they're healthy. With a cap hit of $4.5m for the next 2 seasons he makes zero sense for them. And to suggest he's worth a 2nd and a defenceman is just homer wishful thinking. But I guess that goes without saying considering the source

He's Clutch. Mr money in the bank. 

Intangibles that you need to win the cup. 

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's more of a common sense concept. Take a guy like Radulov for example, no team wants him around regardless of how talented he is.

Think anyone is lining up to bring Kassian into their locker room? If you're a GM with lots of youth would you bring him in? We had lots of youth coming up and couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

It's more trouble than it's worth. Same goes for lazy, entitled vets. It only takes one cancer/problem to mess up a locker room. It's a bad example for young guys to be learning from.

Common sense eh? All those guys received contracts by professional team management. I would say your 'common sense' has let you down. 

24 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

Common sense eh? All those guys received contracts by professional team management. I would say your 'common sense' has let you down. 

They did before their problems came to light. That's the key. What management gave Radulov his last contract? Hint, he gets paid in Rubles.

Kassian is currently ineligible to play in the NHL. If he cant right the ship he will never get another contract anyway. Not that NHL GM's will be beating down his door when he gets out of STAGE 2 of the league's drug program.

Semin was so sought after he signed a one year deal for peanuts then was told to beat it.

Seems common sense is not so common.

Any one hear of any rumours surrounding Semin?  .. other than maybe wanting to play at home in the KHL?    ...  Gotta be more reason behind his play drop off ..

not to say he has a problem like Kassian is dealing with, .  but we all heard the rumours surrounding Kas well before the media enlightened us.

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Any one hear of any rumours surrounding Semin?  .. other than maybe wanting to play at home in the KHL?    ...  Gotta be more reason behind his play drop off ..

not to say he has a problem like Kassian is dealing with, .  but we all heard the rumours surrounding Kas well before the media enlightened us.

Those skill guys sometimes need the right conditions. Kovalev was like that. He just needs something to click with some confidence. 30 goal scorer in the right spot. Take a flyer, we have injuries and scoring trouble. 

1 minute ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

Those skill guys sometimes need the right conditions. Kovalev was like that. He just needs something to click with some confidence. 30 goal scorer in the right spot. Take a flyer, we have injuries and scoring trouble. 

Id have to agree, give him 5-10 games.. At a 1.1m hit, or at least whats left of it (less).. Thats not bad.

gives him a fresh chance, the only possible threat to the team is that he  creates tougher competition and sticks...  If he dosent work, then waive again.

12 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Will he clear though is the question ?

Has to clear: Calgary, Columbus, Toronto, Colorado, Edmonton, Carolina (should slide by), and buffalo ?

My question is. when a player is waived.  Is the order of the waivers based off the day of the claim or the day or the day the player is sent down ?   I could see Babcock and The maple leafs take a stab at him.  Be interesting to see.

oh also... Does games played play a factor in a teams wavier pickup rank.

It's based on the day of.

Think of it this way: everyday at noon (Eastern) a snapshot of the standings is taken, then all the players for that day are officially announced on waivers, every team interested in player X puts in their claim, then the following day at noon whoever was lowest in the standings in the snapshot gets to take their shiny new used toy home.

(edit - games played isn't a factor, as far as I know - interesting idea I'd never thought of - but I imagine the number of times that would have altered pick-ups has to be very very small)

wrt Semin - I know the lazy tag is the common refrain, but I've read elsewhere that his issue is more rooted in off-season training - like, he trains for endurance, like a marathon runner, which has removed all his explosiveness/acceleration/etc.

To be fair he's only 1 season worth of games off a 20 goal season and is still just 31. Sure, he's being waived off one of the best teams in the league but Canadien's trash is surely a bottom feeder's treasure.

He's been abysmal the last two seasons and looks like he couldn't care less but who knows, maybe this is a wakeup call and a shift to the West is all he needs to kick start his game?

Not saying the Canucks should pick him - he's a poor man's Baertschi which is terrible, but under the right circumstances he could hit 20 in the NHL again.

Archived