The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade F Jensen to Rangers for F Etem

I like this trade for both clubs.  Seems like both are taking a chance on previous history of coach and player.  If we can get Etem playing a heavier game on the bottom 6 with some possession and puck pressure mixed in, this is a win for us.  Anything more, like a revival of Etem-Shinkaruk, is a huge win. 

Assuming he's on the big club, this almost certainly means more roster moves are coming.  I like that even more. 

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not sure if you're serious or from the future, but Etem scored 61 goals in 65 games in his final year in the Dub (45 the year before), and has been a ppg player in the AHL at age 21 and 22.  There is plenty of potential upside there.

Three half seasons in the NHL before the age of 23, wadr, are not going to seal this young man's fate as a "bottom 6 at best."

i just dont want to throw up top 6 in the discussion, lets just see if he can earn an everyday roster spot for now and see how he progresses, if he becomes an energy bottom 6 guy and nothing more i still think its a win for us, 

it helps nyr out as jensen is waiver exempt for this year, etem was not, so they traded him for a prospect who needs a change and didnt have to risk loosing etem for free on waivers.

its a decent move by nyr. they could have tried to packaged him in a deal i suppose but this was a much easier move to make im sure

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Yeah, trading a 29th pick....... for another good young 29th pick....how pathetic.

So how would you classify Jensen as a  Canuck pick eh? Good? Real good?

This is a reclaim project for both teams.

2 minutes ago, Yotes said:

i just dont want to throw up top 6 in the discussion, lets just see if he can earn an everyday roster spot for now and see how he progresses, if he becomes an energy bottom 6 guy and nothing more i still think its a win for us, 

now that much I can agree with.  calling him a bottom 6 at best - not so much.

oh man, I really liked the upside of Jensen. But hes never really been able to play at his full potential on a consistently... 

Etem, i dont know much about. he seems to have great numbers. Hopefully WD will give him a crack at a top 6 role if someone gets traded. 

I hope both of them work out well for there teams. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

now that much I can agree with.  calling him a bottom 6 at best - not so much.

ya the wording wasnt exactly the best. Im looking forward to seeing what he can bring to our team tho. Another California kid for us too

19 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

AV must like Jensen. Fair Trade 

Good point about Av's likely role in this trade.

17 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Great trade, Jensen was never going to work out so this is a win for Vancouver.

It does seem clear that Vancouver had given up on Jensen. He was a long way down the depth chart -- behind guys like Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Grenier (and Kenins and Virtanen, of course).

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

Currently a nothing for nothing trade.

Vancouver ends up with a player that has a higher ceiling, but has a greater chance of being a complete bust.

NYR gets a player with a lower ceiling but probably with a better chance of becoming an NHL regular (a Higgins type of 3rd liner).

I don't think either player has a good shot at being an NHL regular. Both are low first round picks who have under-performed so far. But Etem is waiver-eligible now while Jensen is still waiver exempt (and is in the AHL) this year. So the Canucks must have felt they had enough roster room to give him a try-out at the NHL level.

I don't think he is as good a prospect as Gaunce or Shinkaruk and it will interesting to see how the depth chart sorts itself out.

wow etem's stock has plummetted  jensen  and a 6th  great steal benning gotta mean theres another trade in works  or virtanen will be sent down to whl after lightning game if hitmen trade him to  kelowna rockets :)   our overcrowded forward group just got even more crowded lol

Archived