The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Attempting To Move F Christopher Higgins

Heretic

1 hour ago, Dancin'Droid said:

I would be extremely surprised if we got anything better than a 2nd, I would bet a 3rd as the highest anyone would offer.

With Higgins performance this year I would suggest the Canucks will be getting more like a 4th/5th for him unless they take something back like a D-man with a similar contract.

after reading some of the outright nasty responses on this thread i think it's important to remember that he was a big part of our cup run in 2011.  not to mention his penalty killing.  he has been an excellent bottom six 2-way forward.  i wish him all the best, and hope that the rest of this year resembles some of his play over the last few years.  thanks higgy !!

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I'm not gonna say I know what he made but I don't think he would be paying over 1.5 mil in taxes on a 2.5 mil salary. and if you add up his total career earnings, I'm sure its in the millions.

Just a shot in the dark but once you deduct taxes at the top rate, agents fees and whatever they have to pay into the NHLPA, they probably take home less than half.  It's still not bad.

Half of what Higgins makes is close to what the average schnook takes home in 20 years.

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

No it isn't just about money. but like I said it's a business and having to part ways with teammates and friends comes with the territory and he knows that. I never said he wants to retire now only that he could. Why is it funny that I say I would trade places with him? You wouldn't? Getting to do something you truly love and being set for life because of it, who wouldn't want that? When did I imply that he shouldn't be happy or that he isn't trying to be the best player he can be?  Lastly, what's with the attempt at insulting me? Is it because I dared to have an opinion that's differs from yours? FYI I am neither fat nor lazy, I work hard for what I earn.

Because it is easy for you and any other keyboard warrior for that matter to say it shouldn't be a big deal for him now that he is a 'millionaire'- you haven't been in his shoes.  Of course he is a pro and will deal with whatever happens- he seems like a pretty mature guy to me.  I implied he was probably very happy in VAN and being traded at this stage in his career is probably harder on him than not.   

8 minutes ago, skategal said:
@FriedgeHNIC  
1) Matt Keator, agent for Chris Higgins, says VAN has granted him permission to talk to other teams. "We will work together on this."

You gotta feel for Chris, throughout the years I really believe he did give it his all for the team. I just don't think any team will trade for him and we will end up waiving him. Best of luck to him. 

Just now, SuitnTie said:

You gotta feel for Chris, throughout the years I really believe he did give it his all for the team. I just don't think any team will trade for him and we will end up waiving him. Best of luck to him. 

It's tough to see him go. He was a great Canucks. Unfortunately though, he just can't keep up with todays game anymore, much like Bieksa. 

Hope Higgins finds a good situation.  My guess is BUF, NYR, NYI and NJD are the main possibilities.  If he really wants to go to a contender then the latter 3 are stronger possibilities but he may be able to mentor to young guys on the Sabres.

When does Vey become waiver eligible again?  If he will require waivers to send back down, I would expect there to be another guy on the way out once Sutter is healthy.  Would be surprised to see management take a risk by letting him pass through waivers again (especially since that would detract from their collection of Medicine Hat Tigers :P).

28 minutes ago, dudeistpriest said:

after reading some of the outright nasty responses on this thread i think it's important to remember that he was a big part of our cup run in 2011.  not to mention his penalty killing.  he has been an excellent bottom six 2-way forward.  i wish him all the best, and hope that the rest of this year resembles some of his play over the last few years.  thanks higgy !!

This is true but the Higgy ship really sailed almost two years ago.

9 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

they need to trade edler, and burrows badly.

I'd keep Edler around, at worst he is a solid 3rd defenceman. 

Burrows and Dorsett take up 7m of cap space... money we could spend on Lucic.

Then after that, we'd still have 15m in cap space if we dont re-sign, Bartkowski, Weber, Prust, Vrbata, Hamhuis. 17m if we trade Higgins for picks or prospects.

We can really make a huge splash in the off season.

--

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Stamkos?

Beartschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Lucic? - Sutter - Hansen 

Gaunce - McCann - Etem

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa

Pedan - UFA

1 hour ago, nucksnavsfan said:

I remember hearing on the radio that they did try moving him in the off season but there were no takers

Pretty much the same thing at the trade deadline last year. There was some speculation that Higgy would be moved but Benning had said that he had no calls on Chris Higgins.

Archived