The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Attempting To Move F Christopher Higgins

Heretic

58 minutes ago, CanuckMan10 said:

The only reason I can think of JB to do this is that he tried shopping higgins and no one wanted him so he's trying to make it clear to everyone there was no interest before he demotes him to utica. Absolutely bizarre

Yep, and/or Higgins could have been using his limited NTC to resist being moved to where the deals are.

This is a good way to put pressure on him to accept it.

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Wait... Why on earth are they making this public? 

Seems like a dumb move to show your hand... Bone headed move by JB. 

I think it's a ploy by Benning, because Higgins doesn't have any value in the trade market. He might get waived.

4 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Not a surprise.  The management has said publicly they don't want/need him any more.  No wonder he would choose to be away form the team. On the other side, Canucks can't risk him getting injured.

It is highly unlikely that the player is the one behind not wanting him to play.  It is nothing but downside for him and the team could suspend him solving their problem.

It is almost certainly the team not wanting him to get hurt and scuttle a trade.

Why is this a press release? Probably to keep the fans happy in a pretty rough season and make JB and TL look like good guys in the eyes of the public. Announcing every move publically probably isn't the best idea in terms of trading and value unless Higgins has been on the block for a while and it's obvious to other teams.

They must really be struggling to find a suitor for him.

With a guy like Higgins there's always a team interested provided we lower our expectations on the return and retain part of his salary. I said it in the previous thread, Florida might be the best destination if they are going to go for the cup. He can add depth to the line up and the team has a ton of cap room for the next year or so.

IMO, it's pretty clear why they released a statement to the press. His time here was done. They weren't going to play him anymore. Period. 

I assume that he and his agent were approached by the team about destinations and they didn't respond very well. I would guess that we have one team willing to take him and he doesn't want to go there. Then we tell him it's either there or being waived. Now they will sit him for a few says in the hopes he comes around. If not, waiver wire. 

Clearly management thinks we have enough bodies that he isn't in the mix for the rest of the year anyway. Etem solidified that. 

He will go for a depth D, I believe, a pending UFA on a similar salary. 

Just now, iinatcc said:

With a guy like Higgins there's always a team interested provided we lower our expectations on the return and retain part of his salary. I said it in the previous thread, Florida might be the best destination if they are going to go for the cup. He can add depth to the line up and the team has a ton of cap room for the next year or so.

Florida might make sense. 

Trade after the game?

41 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

if we managed to get harmonic for Higgins and hamhuis I would have a wet dream. I don't think it will happen though

Depends, It would have to be Higgins and Hamhuis with retained salary as well as a good prospect that they could flip.

Edler, Tanev, or Horvat are non starters. I like Hickey and de Haan which we could trade for and get a 2nd or 3rd with one of those guys back.

25 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

I think the reason for the press release is because of chris....it was probably his decision not to play after being told he was going to be traded....canucks had to explain his absence.... sad.

I guess so, still very strange though!

Don't expect this to drag on too long. 48 hours at the most until we know one way or the other if he's waived or traded. 

Do the JB bashers use this as an opportunity to call him classless even though it's what they wanted? That must be very confusing for them. 

These are the hard but necessary decisions that a rebuilding team needs to do. Our GM is making the tough call. How can that not be supported?

CDC messing with me, keeps freezing and can't edit.... 

Anyways, I don't think Canucks will want to waive Higgins and send him to Utica unless it's absolutely the last thing they can do. JB will try to make a trade with salary retention. He's a veteran player who's given 5 years to this team, not easy to waive a guy like that and word travels around the league pretty quick so this wouldn't be good for potential UFA signings. 

Just now, LM11 said:

I'll be shocked if anyone takes him.  He's getting waived in my opinion.

I wonder why you come to such a negative conclusion? What makes you believe no team would want him? He's a 32 year old veteran winger, who is although on the decline offensively, has been effective defensively. Why does he not fit into a third line role for a cup contending team? His contract is not unmovable, and just because he struggled this season (perhaps injuries is best to blame) does not make him unmovable. Furthermore, I think it is silly to assume Benning is going to waive him if a trade doesn't come to fruition. Benning may not get a lot back for him, but to remove the cap and roster spot, and pick up even a late pick (4th/5th) would be good enough. 

Archived