The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Freidman "I wouldn't be surprised if The Canucks threw some serious money at Stamkos"

8 hours ago, Tystick said:

He would probably hit a career high in goals. Potentially 70-80... :mellow:

The Sedins are so good that they can basically take any sub par player and make them goal scorers.

However, due to their hard consistency in the style of play, putting Stamkos with them would probably reduce Stamkos' productivity as he would have to adapt to the Sedins' play.

Stamkos is a leader and must lead his line. The Sedins have always needed someone who complements them; Carter, Klatt, Burrows, Hansen. Vrbata is a bit different as he adapted in his first year but got ousted because others adapt better.

Stamkos is also one of the best centers to ever play the game. Why would anyone try to put him on wing is beyond me. 

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

The Sedins are so good that they can basically take any sub par player and make them goal scorers.

However, due to their hard consistency in the style of play, putting Stamkos with them would probably reduce Stamkos' productivity as he would have to adapt to the Sedins' play.

Stamkos is a leader and must lead his line. The Sedins have always needed someone who complements them; Carter, Klatt, Burrows, Hansen. Vrbata is a bit different as he adapted in his first year but got ousted because others adapt better.

Stamkos is also one of the best centers to ever play the game. Why would anyone try to put him on wing is beyond me. 

Best centers ever?? He hasn't even been the best center for one year yet how is he one of the bests of all time? 

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

No to Stammer being with the twins on anything but the power play.  He can be on it like Kesler was. 

Stampkos would be a serious upgrade on 5 on 5 scoring adding that is a necessity at some point in time. Along time ago we paid an ageing vet from Toronto 10 million.Stamp is in realm of a possible signing well within reach once all cap is shed this season.

I still believe a deal with NYI could be structured suitable to both teams which would bring Hammonic to Van this would suffice till we get the draft table loaded with D picks in second this years draft an develop them over next 4 years.

Having said this I also think BUFUGlin could also be signed to a 4 or 5 year which would round out our back end nicely till the next generation are developed from the next few drafts.

Result instant credibility in the Western conference and maybe even a western final if get lucky enough not to face Kings first.

On 1/19/2016 at 7:39 AM, Warhippy said:

Anything over $8.8 million handcuffs this team.

Our strengths currently are at center, our needs pressingly in order are

• PMD RH and LH
  • Crease clearing monster that can skate D
  • Solid offense first RW/LW
  • 2 way Lw/RW

We are coaching the offense out of our players in order to make them more defensively responsible.  We are needing D of both types in the worst way.  Stammer would be a HUGE draw for sure, but we've more pressing needs than another Sundin type contract regardless of how attractive it may seem

Our depth is good at C but our strength is not at the C position due to really bad FO% and the fact that we currently don't have a 2nd C that is established while Henrik Sedin will retire in a couple of years possibly. So we would have issues if one of McCann or Horvat don't become a 1st line C in those couple of years. If we get Stamkos, McCann will be traded for sure to get a bluechip young D prospect or could be packaged with something else for Shatternkirk or Hamonic. Then we would have the best center depth in the league with Henrik Sedin, Stamkos, Horvat and Sutter down the middle. Then imagine getting a Hamonic or Shatternkirk to pair with Tanev while Edler and Hutton get 2nd pairing, our team would become pretty strength with a good mix of skilled veterans and skilled youth. Benning would definitely go for a cup run if those two moves happened and the Sedins would get a chance to play for the cup. 

On 1/19/2016 at 7:39 AM, asian player said:

With the cap space we have, I'd be shocked if we didn't at least try for a 25 year old superstar

Thats true, this is Bennings chance for a bold move that could set the franchise for the future since its rare to have a player of Stamkos stature being available in free agency and at such a young age. He would technically be a 1st overall pick for our team since he isn't that old yet a superstar and he fits our groups age range. This is Bennings shot at making himself the GM of the year if he could land Stammer. Then we would have 2 top 15 centres with H. Sedin and Stammer while Sutter and Horvat would provide the depth. That would be a Stanley cup caliber centre depth.

On 1/19/2016 at 7:43 AM, Down by the River said:

There is no doubt that Stamkos is an elite talent, but IMO he doesn't fit the Kopitar/Toews/Kane/Crosby/Malkin/Parise/Getzlaf, etc. echelon. To give him that kind of money would be a mistake. 

You can't get those type of elite players unless you get lucky with the draft and get one with a 1st overall pick. We know the Canucks chances aren't usually good when it comes to lotto picks, so why not get someone like stammer through free agency without losing anything. None of our prospects or current players are even close to Stammers level and that includes Henrik Sedin. 

On 1/19/2016 at 7:55 AM, Ginu said:

Mmmm... any huge contract will cripple the team, so its tough to say.

Sorry, but elite players don't play for peanuts. How about we go for the big prize instead of getting players from the budget bin for a change. 

On 1/20/2016 at 8:13 AM, MJDDawg said:

I just don't see why he'd even consider coming to Van when:

1. We're rebuilding and nowhere near being in contention for a Cup.
  2. Being in Van means he'd be twice as far from his home town than Tampa is.

From our standpoint, I just don't think the team is at the right stage of it's development to bring in a player like him and commit the money and term needed to get him here.

But who knows I guess. I mean, if the Leafs don't want him you never know I guess. Heck, Sundin came here for the right price.

Sorry but players like Stamkos aren't always available. You sign him now and worry about what the right stage would be later. We should be proactive in finding a replacement for H. Sedin. Once he retires, if he is not replaced by that time then we would be competing for 1st overalls for many more years. Our only saving grace has been our goaltender and the Sedins with recent surge from Horvat. Without Sedins or the goaltending, we would probably be last right now. Right now there is no certain order of priorities since we are deficient in the long term future when it comes to a 1st line C and deficient in D. 

On 1/22/2016 at 3:02 AM, Filthy McNasty said:

Lol every one thinks we will get all the big names, ok, I will play

new top line 

Ladd stamkos Lucic 

sedin sedin Virtanen

bear horvat drouin

dorsett mcann etem 

Nope but with Aqua man worrying about the falling canadian dollar and trying to fill up the seats and increase ticket prices for a mediocre product, bringing Stamkos to this team would probably be his #1 priority and he will do anything to bring back all the fans and generate more revenue. And we all know in business, marketing is a huge factor for success and Stamkos is one of the most marketable players in the league. I would even suggest that bringing Stamkos to Canucks on a long term contract and as the leader for the new core would triple Jersey sales.

On 1/22/2016 at 4:26 PM, Noseforthenet said:

The opportunities this would afford us would be quite amazing. This could afford us some trade bait to get a quality defensive prospect. I say just do it and let the chips fall where they may.

Yes exactly, and I don't know why most people here don't think about that. IF we land Stamkos, McCann would become a huge trade bait that we could swap for a young D-man. A McCann, Burrows or Hansen packaged to Colorado for Barrie or to Blues for Shatternkirk would be huge. Then add another UFA D-man like Yandle so we don't ever hear about Weber, Bartkowski or Sbisa again.

Barrie-Tanev

Yandle-Edler

Hutton-Biega/Pedan

Weber not signed

Bartkowski not signed

Sbisa traded for some potato chips.

I don't see any of this happening. Why?

Because I actually think it is not in JB's programme to push out $10m/ for 5/6 years. That kind of roll over cap hit, even for Stamkos, is extremely limiting as we saw with Lu.

I think JB feels he can build a SC team through the draft, even without a top 3 pick.

Personally, I would love to see Stamkos here, much more than Lucic, that's for sure.

Interesting times.

Archived