The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Freidman "I wouldn't be surprised if The Canucks threw some serious money at Stamkos"

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Ahhh. The Artful Dodger :)   Gotta leave room for Pedan and Tryamkin to develop to see what we have.. Gotta love their upside. 

Im burning out Rock's ... I've had a good evening , thank you.      Back atcha in the near future :) 

me too bud, got a bit carried away with the dehydrating. GN

2 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

So after next season

The sedins next contract prob 8 mill 

stamkos cost for us prob 10.5/11 mill Sutter 5.5 bo 3.5 mill  so that's 36 mill just there half are cap. For 4 centres n a LW.

Sedin's, 8m?   Nope.. Pretty sure they retire here after this contract expires,. Pretty sure JB has had that conversation, and the what if part.

7 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

So after next season

The sedins next contract prob 8 mill 

stamkos cost for us prob 10.5/11 mill Sutter 5.5 bo 3.5 mill  so that's 36 mill just there half are cap. For 4 centres n a LW.

Lol no. If they want to keep playing here after their contracts they'll takd cheap 1-2 year contracts to help Benning build a contender for them. 

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Spock !!! It's you !!   ;)    Here you go Rocks, 31.5 m. Off Load... For Stamkos, Lucic, and Buff (or Yandle).  

Hamhuis, 4.5m . Vrbatta,5.0m .  Edler, 5.0m . Miller, 6m . Weber, 1.5m .

Higgins, 2.5m.  Prust, 2.5.  Burrows,4.5.

And at the draft table we move Demko and our 1st overall for THE First Overall.

Heya Yukon, try this on for size,.. I gotta get some sleep.

Burrows to Montreal, family.

Miller to Death Valley, family

Edler to "somewhere in Florida,. It's the new Swedish Valhalla"

4 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

If we get stamkos we'll still have the same D n still no Puck Moving Defenceman  

8 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I think anyone with cap space would throw copious amounts of cash at likely the best player to hit free agency in our generation. I think they will offer, and it wont be enough. Id say our chances are slim to none.

Tend to agree, it took 10 million to lure Sundin here for half a year. I also doubt our chances, but its nice to dream.

7 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

This Stamkos thing is a absolute pipe dream not happening would be sweet but Bennings already got 99 problems n can't afford to make stamkos 1. I'm off to bed ya'll, and boom goes the Mic. 

It's not a pipe dream if we have the cap available for him which we will. Benning wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't even ask Stamkos if he's interested in coming here. 

53 minutes ago, Pears said:

It's not a pipe dream if we have the cap available for him which we will. Benning wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't even ask Stamkos if he's interested in coming here. 

I think he'll be interested in coming back to Canada.

I have a feeling it will be for the Canadiens though. He can play with his old buddy PK.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I think he'll be interested in coming back to Canada.

I have a feeling it will be for the Canadiens though. He can play with his old buddy PK.

Don't think they'll have enough room unless they can move some bodies as they'll have $8.5-$9 million in cap space, as well as Galchenyuk will eventually need a new contract. If Benning puts his big boy balls on we have a pretty good shot at Stamkos. 

meh i doubt that.

they could always change the plans up, but with henrik,  horvat playing the way he is, sutter locked in with term, and mccaan... there are far more concerning holes on this club that are needing to be addressed.

said it before, but i hope we throw our money at byufglien and brouwer.

First off he has to actually hit the market first, if he's not going to sign in Tampa, and add to the fact that they are losing Drouin as well, then Yzerman may shop his signing rights to get as much as possible. Regardless of how much of a nice guy be may be he is still going to go where the money is and just about any team bidding for him will likely throw a blank cheque at him so he would really have to want to play for Vancouver.

I personally would sign him if given the chance. I know the team needs defense in the worst way but I don't see any top defenseman on the market and the team needs elite talent badly as well. It's ironic to think about people complaining about not drafting an elite scorer and yet complain about the possibility of signing one at the cost of no assets. Stamkos would definitely help solve the scoring problem, which is still just as much of an issue as defense and with more contracts coming off the books in the near future whose to say they won't sign a top defenseman in later free agent markets.

Stammer simply hasn't been the same player since busting his leg. He knows it and Stevie Y knows it. Still an excellent hockey player with busloads to offer but term is crippling the negotiations in Tampa. If Crosby was an UFA this off season, we'd be talking about the same thing. Bad timing on injuries can really mess up long term plans and these players all want 7 - 10 year terms. As awesome as Stammer is he looks to be hampered and slowed a bit by his leg injury and paying him 10m per for 8 or 9 years could look really bad down the line. Can't see it happening regardless, but JB needs to take a pass.

Just now, bad alice french said:

Stammer simply hasn't been the same player since busting his leg. He knows it and Stevie Y knows it. Still an excellent hockey player with busloads to offer but term is crippling the negotiations in Tampa. If Crosby was an UFA this off season, we'd be talking about the same thing. Bad timing on injuries can really mess up long term plans and these players all want 7 - 10 year terms. As awesome as Stammer is he looks to be hampered and slowed a bit by his leg injury and paying him 10m per for 8 or 9 years could look really bad down the line. Can't see it happening regardless, but JB needs to take a pass.

The max contract term you can offer if you trade for his rights is 8 years. If you don't trade for his rights, the term is 7 years. 

15 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I think anyone with cap space would throw copious amounts of cash at likely the best player to hit free agency in our generation. I think they will offer, and it wont be enough. Id say our chances are slim to none.

The city itself is not enough.

He's Toronto-bound. If he desires to go to Toronto and Toronto botches this one and the fans find out, heads will roll.

This is Stamkos we're talking about.

When teams draft, fans scream 'BPA' until they're blue in the face. We're drafting well under Benning - but we've not set the league alight with our UFA signings.

Stamkos - if he reaches UFA status - will be the BPA through free agency in a generation. He will be approaching his prime, with more than 300 goals to his name, more than 550 points, and a Finals run with the Bolts. Anything less than $10m would rule any team out of the running, whether they're a contender or not.

To guarantee being even considered as his eventual destination, we would need to be offering something near league max, full 7 year term, NMC, 'A', and eventual captaincy, along with discussions about acquiring wingers he would feel comfortable playing with. He'd need reassurance about his position - he doesn't like playing wing - and convincing that the travel involved wouldn't hamper his career.

If we can offer $12m, 7 years, NMC, and sign a winger in free agency (perhaps Kyle Okposo, Mikkel Boedker or Alex Killorn), we could be in with a chance. I don't expect us to do that however, and so we will either see him sign with Toronto, or test the market before jacking up Tampa's offer and re-signing with them.

Archived