The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Freidman "I wouldn't be surprised if The Canucks threw some serious money at Stamkos"

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think he'll be interested in coming back to Canada.

I have a feeling it will be for the Canadiens though. He can play with his old buddy PK.

Pipe dreams can be fun! 

Do Canuck fans think that the Gary Roberts school of hockey have forgiven the org over CoHo's tenure? CoHo used to work out with Stamkos every summer and still might. Roberts had some pretty harsh things to say about the Canucks.

With a younger team Vancouver might be able to offer Stamkos a big contract but I cannot see why he would want to start over on a building team. He is young enough and the Twins will likely retire before resigning the young players become a issue.  

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Anything over $8.8 million handcuffs this team.

Our strengths currently are at center, our needs pressingly in order are

• PMD RH and LH
  • Crease clearing monster that can skate D
  • Solid offense first RW/LW
  • 2 way Lw/RW

We are coaching the offense out of our players in order to make them more defensively responsible.  We are needing D of both types in the worst way.  Stammer would be a HUGE draw for sure, but we've more pressing needs than another Sundin type contract regardless of how attractive it may seem

Well the past year, Stamkos has been slotting in on RW....so there's that.

Having him slot in with Sedins could be quite the magical experience

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Spock !!! It's you !!   ;)    Here you go Rocks, 31.5 m. Off Load... For Stamkos, Lucic, and Buff (or Yandle).  

Hamhuis, 4.5m . Vrbatta,5.0m .  Edler, 5.0m . Miller, 6m . Weber, 1.5m .

Higgins, 2.5m.  Prust, 2.5.  Burrows,4.5.

And at the draft table we move Demko and our 1st overall for THE First Overall.

great analogy on freeing up the cap.

I could easily see Lucic as the Kings would be strapped to resign him under cap without moving out other good parts

7 for Buff or Yandle.  I would see either of these signing also easily in range of free cap

Stamkos? every one an their dog will be bidding at least 8 teams so if it goes. It is a crap shoot here?

I still dream of a boat load of draft picks at this years draft at least 8-9 players with potential to dance at big club level down the road.This is shaping u-p to be good free cap an players out there wanting to play for $

1 hour ago, bobbyg43 said:

great analogy on freeing up the cap.

I could easily see Lucic as the Kings would be strapped to resign him under cap without moving out other good parts

7 for Buff or Yandle.  I would see either of these signing also easily in range of free cap

Stamkos? every one an their dog will be bidding at least 8 teams so if it goes. It is a crap shoot here?

I still dream of a boat load of draft picks at this years draft at least 8-9 players with potential to dance at big club level down the road.This is shaping u-p to be good free cap an players out there wanting to play for $

Just imagine the seats sold.. Did you see Hockey Alive and well in L.A. Last night? On a Tuesday yet!

we have not had an atmosphere like that since Bure.. Thats what needs to happen here, and big players like the Rock's and i mentioned creates that. The Prospects here are now are core chemistry,. the Twins are remarkable, but have longed missed playing with a brute power forward to compliment and protect them.

my fingers are crossed ;) 

ps. Did you see Vinny taking a step out of the bone yard too.. Amazing what a change of scenery will do for a guy,. Always felt he was with TBL for waaay too long.

Here's some math I did to show this is not a pipe dream at all, especially if we make a couple other trades. Note: I didn't factor in the possibility of the cap going up, as well as this will be our cap at the time of the draft/free agency.

Higgins: $2.5 million (Traded)
Burrows: $4.5 million (Traded)
Dorsett: $2.65 million (Traded)

Added cap: $24,150,000

Re-signings:

Baertschi: 3 years, $2 million/year

Cap for free agency: $22,150,000

Signings:

Steven Stamkos: 8 years, $11.5 million/year
Milan Lucic: 5 years, $6.5 million/year
Luke Schenn: 1 year, $2.75 million
Dan Hamhuis: 1 year, $2 million

Remaining cap: $2,050,000

Sedin - Sedin - Stamkos

Lucic - Sutter - Virtanen

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Shinkaruk - McCann - Etem

Vey

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Hutton
Sbisa - Schenn
Biega

Markstrom
Miller

We won't have to worry about Bo's new contract until the year after next, and by then the cap will have gone up a good amount and Miller's contract will be up. So like I said, we have a much better shot than most people think.

18 minutes ago, Pears said:

Here's some math I did to show this is not a pipe dream at all, especially if we make a couple other trades. Note: I didn't factor in the possibility of the cap going up, as well as this will be our cap at the time of the draft/free agency.

Re-signings:

Signings:

Sedin - Sedin - Stamkos

Vey

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Hutton
Sbisa - Schenn
Biega

Markstrom
Miller

We won't have to worry about Bo's new contract until the year after next, and by then the cap will have gone up a good amount and Miller's contract will be up. So like I said, we have a much better shot than most people think.

That remaining 2 million will have to go to Etem, he's coming up on RFA. I agree though, our position to make big moves is very good. It's HIGHLY unlikely we'd ever have even a chance to put offers in on both Lucic and Stamkos but it is an exciting thought. Either way though, I expect we'll be picking up a couple big names this year. I'm hoping for Lucic and Byfuglien. That instantly transforms this team. And they'd only really need to buy out Higgins to have the cap to make it happen if they can't trade anyone.

23 minutes ago, Pears said:

Re-signings:

Signings:

Sedin - Sedin - Stamkos

Vey

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Hutton
Sbisa - Schenn
Biega

Markstrom
Miller

Looks like something the Pittsburgh Penguins would do.

Adding Schenn - no thanks.  The blueline needs to take more priority than a pylon afterthought like Schenn, after spending 17.5 million up front, where they have deeper, more viable NHL talent.

3 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

That remaining 2 million will have to go to Etem, he's coming up on RFA. I agree though, our position to make big moves is very good. It's HIGHLY unlikely we'd ever have even a chance to put offers in on both Lucic and Stamkos but it is an exciting thought. Either way though, I expect we'll be picking up a couple big names this year. I'm hoping for Lucic and Byfuglien. That instantly transforms this team. And they'd only really need to buy out Higgins to have the cap to make it happen if they can't trade anyone.

IF... Players hold themselves tight into Free Agency, imagine the Scenario when you are able to talk with them about the PLAN you envision them in..

hey Milan, were also taking with Buff and Stamer right now, here's our potential numbers and how it could be divided.. any thoughts?

Hey Buff,... 

Hey Steve,... 

Personally if i was any of the above players i would crack a smile and listen up,.  and why would i not call the others to confirm and chat.

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

IF we got stammer hed play C not wing with the sedins. 

He would most likley only play with the sedins if we were on the PP or down a goal at the end of a game.

And our D would still be crap.

I don't think there are any dmen in this offseason I'd feel comfortable throwing a lot of money at anyway. Byfuglien and Yandle are the top guys and while Byfulgien would be nice we would get hime from ages 31-37 probably and he has had just one season in last four seasons where he's played over 70 games. I'd rather get the best forward we can this year and the following ufa period when we lose Miller and Burrows use that money on Shattenkirk or Burns.

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I don't think there are any dmen in this offseason I'd feel comfortable throwing a lot of money at anyway. Byfuglien and Yandle are the top guys and while Byfulgien would be nice we would get hime from ages 31-37 probably and he has had just one season in last four seasons where he's played over 70 games. I'd rather get the best forward we can this year and the following ufa period when we lose Miller and Burrows use that money on Shattenkirk or Burns.

Those 2 names have come up before,. Shattenkirk is potentially a ailable now for the right trade..

Burns a UFA at 2016-17 end.  SanJose sucks really..  My gut feeling is a massive tear down in the off season. . Last Summers player/management (he said,she said) was childish.. Can not see players staying there next season.. Always a poor or no show for playoff.

Burns should be offered a big term deal with them in the off season.. He is the only one worth keeping IMO.. Only one left to build around or get something substansial for.

top beast Dman in my book.

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Looks like something the Pittsburgh Penguins would do.

Adding Schenn - no thanks.  The blueline needs to take more priority than a pylon afterthought like Schenn, after spending 17.5 million up front, where they have deeper, more viable NHL talent.

Thought Schenn wouldn't be a bad option on the bottom pair for one year on a reasonable contract. And he's probably one of the better lower end D men in this years free agent class too. 

I don't see Stamkos happening, or even necessarily being a great fit here.

Absolutely hate those albatross contracts - and that's what it will take in free agency - a giant contract bordering on overpayment - that is a long term risk regardless.

Moreover, I'm not sure he's the best fit.  After all, people are slotting him in to play right wing on a line with the Sedins.  Does Stamkos have enough grit to create the space they need?  Is he hard enough on the forecheck, enough of a puck hound, heavy enough on the cycle?  I'm not sure.  He'd obviously be a dream winger and right handed shot on the powerplay, and situationally a great fit with the Sedins - but overall, 5 on 5,  I'm not sure he'd be the type of winger that fits them best, and I am assuming they're still around the next few years and that his expectations would certainly be big top line minutes.  And again, there, the Sedins minutes will probably be moderated even more moving forward.

Imo, what they need is a right handed Alex Burrows with an extra 20lbs, speed, and a mean edge, that hits, cycles, can park himself in front of the net, tail off to the LW half boards and unload one-timers, and perhaps punch a person or two in the face if they look sideways at either Twin.  A tall order, but if they're spending 11 million and not getting all that, I'm not sure it would be the greatest allocation of cap space.  If they're looking forward a few years to Stamkos being a top line succession plan - that just doesn't jive with the shorter term expectations of a talent like Stamkos.  Would he be willing to alternate at RW with the Twins, and spot duty elsewhere, with Sutter, maybe even Horvat?  Who knows - but as a pure 1RW fit, I'm not sure it's ideal enough to spend 90 millon or whatever it'll take - and I'm a firm disbeliever in depending upon free agent frenzy.

I'd be more inclined to spend more on the blueline and something not quite as lofty up front.  I'd also keep in mind that the team has Hansen, Etem, Virtanen, and Boeser on the way.  

Free agent forward target:

Kyle Okposo.   Big guy with a lethal shot, good mobility, strong in the hard areas - good space maker for the Sedins who can also finish.  Price should be more moderate and should not have to dole out maximum term.

I'd also like to see the team use their primary asset to be moved this year to try to land an NHL ready blueliner before the deadline expires.  ie Vrbata used in a deal to land a young D like Petrovic or DuMoulin so they don't have to overspend and long term it in free agency.

17 minutes ago, Pears said:

Thought Schenn wouldn't be a bad option on the bottom pair for one year on a reasonable contract. And he's probably one of the better lower end D men in this years free agent class too. 

Who knows - it's possible his time in LA builds his game and makes him a more attractive option - but the player he is now and has been - I'd be disappointed if that's the addition this club makes tbh.  I'd rather bring back Bartkowski - he's far more mobile, he moves the puck better, he has reasonable edge (he's thrown more hits than Luke Schenn this year) and he's better than the general perception around here.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Re-signings:

Signings:

Sedin - Sedin - Stamkos

Vey

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Hutton
Sbisa - Schenn
Biega

Markstrom
Miller

Stamkos as a RW?

Only in Vancouver would the fans take one of the best center the game ever had to offer and make him anything else.

This is ridiculous..

25 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

This is now my dream! Make it happen JB!

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Matthews Stamkos Rodin

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Burrows McCann Dorsett

And of course, Stamkos on the second line.

Seriously.

Archived