The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Christian Ehroff CLEARS

canucks411

I think ehrhoff was a product of how good the sedins play was in those years as opposed to ehrhoff being just that good. Clearly he hsnt done much offensively without the sedins like anson carter and burrows.

Hes not terrible or anything but i dont really see the point. Rather see is go down the stretch with our young guys getting more opportunity. Maybe call up subban for a couple games.

13 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

I think ehrhoff was a product of how good the sedins play was in those years as opposed to ehrhoff being just that good. Clearly he hsnt done much offensively without the sedins like anson carter and burrows.

Hes not terrible or anything but i dont really see the point. Rather see is go down the stretch with our young guys getting more opportunity. Maybe call up subban for a couple games.

i guess both sides helped each other in this times.  sedins just dropped scoring after ehrhoff left the team.

further he had a good season in san jose before he joined the nucks and the first year in buffalo wasnt that bad.

but this doesnt changes the fact that he definitely past his prime

i hope florida picks him up and chris and lou will win the cup  though .......:lol::towel::P

Even though imo Ehrhoff still has enough left to make a small improvement for the Canucks down the stretch, I'm among those that think the Canucks should not claim Ehrhoff.

1.  I'm not among those that would bring back Ehroff for reasons of nostalgia.

2.  I don't think at this stage of his career and the current state of the Canucks, Ehrhoff can be considered anything other than very short term relief.  Quite aside from the tank vs non-tank debate, I don't think he's enough of an upgrade to bother with.  Realistically i see no point in thinking about re-signing him for next season when there is a chance he'd be competing for a job with Pedan as well as possibly Tryamkin and Subban.

The most likely scenario that I see based on the deployment of d-men by the Canuck coaching staff is that it is mostly a question of signing Ehrhoff leaving Biega in the press box and Weber gets to Utica, against the alternative of Biega playing and Weber sitting in the pressbox.  If that is the choice, is acquiring Ehrhoff for 2 months (or even 3 months) really worthwhile?.

If Ehrhoff might make the difference between not making the playoffs and getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs then perhaps things would be different.  I don't think he'd make that difference.

3. Even assuming they trade one or more of their pending UFAs or Higgins, and that they have or get cap space, I'd actually rather keep the cap space right now.  Probably at this stage of the season it would do no good, but there is always the possibility, though somewhat slim, that a potential deal will materialize that could help the Canucks going forward but would require some cap space.

I'd rather have that flexibility in case a chance at a real benefit comes than the small improvement that Ehrhoff would likely bring to the lineup.

Btw, right now nhlnumbers is showing the Canucks as having negative cap space.  That is, they've got a 76 mil cap hit, less about 2 mill in bonus cushion (which would have to be taken into next year's cap, if I understand correctly what nhlnumbers is showing there) and a little over $2 million in LTIR, leaving the Canucks $331 K over the cap.

If Edler or Sutter or both is/are out of the lineup but not for a long enough period to be put on LTIR, then the Canucks take another injury cap hit, since they would only get relief to the extent of the cap hit of a replacement player, replacing a player on LTIR.  Simply being on the IRL doesn't bring any cap relief.

Although Ehrhoff is tantalizing, The Canucks'   D- line won't re- capture that magic they had when Ehrhoff and Salo  were here 5 years ago. When those 2 left, so did the chances of a third straight President's trophy. They were so consistently solid and then the chemistry just slowly evaporated.

The current defensive core have had trouble asserting themselves and the Canucks' blue line is so porous currently. I don't see a quick fix on the horizon.

I don't know why Alex Edler is fighting the puck so much- he looks like a shadow of his former self, but, alas, many Canucks are fighting the puck and usually chasing the game.

55 minutes ago, Yotes said:

we arent claiming hoff. We got the rhd Weber on a plane coming back to the bigs!

This isn't good.  I'm not sold on Ehrhoff being able to help at this stage and I'd rather play the kids, but if they're actually considering letting Weber play, Benning needs to bring someone in who can at least fill in at the NHL level without embarrassing himself and the team.

Archived