The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Christian Ehroff CLEARS

canucks411

8 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Could have been, but it's worth the chance considering his prior chemistry with the twins.

Weber also had chemistry with the Sedins last year and is younger than Ehrhoff. We also put him on waivers this year.

As much as I'd like to live in the past, we have to realise here that we're talking about a 33 year old. He's older than Hamhuis. In fact he would be our oldest defenseman on our team if we had picked him up. He's not going to be the same guy we traded for who was in his prime at the time. Last time I checked, players tend to age over time. ;)

I haven't seen him play this year but from what I gather, his cap would be relatively a non factor and we just lost Elder for a significant time, leading us into a ton of space via LTIR.

Our PP and offence is terrible and this team is NOT fun to watch. Something needs to be done.

This team has slid down hill the moment we lost Ehrhoff and Salo right after 2011 with a steady decline in offensive D might and offence in general. We should have ditched Edler to keep these two. 

21 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I haven't seen him play this year but from what I gather, his cap would be relatively a non factor and we just lost Elder for a significant time, leading us into a ton of space via LTIR.

Our PP and offence is terrible and this team is NOT fun to watch. Something needs to be done.

This team has slid down hill the moment we lost Ehrhoff and Salo right after 2011 with a steady decline in offensive D might and offence in general. We should have ditched Edler to keep these two. 

Edler is young and our best defencemen. Salo had another good year with Tampa and then he was done. Don't see where you're coming from.

23 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Edler is young and our best defencemen. Salo had another good year with Tampa and then he was done. Don't see where you're coming from.

Edler had one or two good seasons and was given a contract well beyond his skill level. It appeared that MG chose him over the others. 

I am saying that choosing Edler over Salo and Ehrhoff at the time was a mistake. We used to lead the league in goals for and power play goals. Once those two left we steadily worsened in both categories to a point of being in the bottom of the league for multiple years, not to mention becoming a very boring team to watch. 

58 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This team has slid down hill the moment we lost Ehrhoff and Salo right after 2011 with a steady decline in offensive D might and offence in general. We should have ditched Edler to keep these two

But, but...Edler is the only one still playing in the NHL.

On 2/11/2016 at 11:25 PM, Boddy604 said:

Anything from our 2011 cup run we shouldn't invite back. The Sedins, Edler, Tanev, Hansen, and Hamhuis are like literally the ONLY one's left still doing good. The rest are either retired, in the minors, in Europe, or getting put on waivers. And then there's Kesler and Bieksa but Anaheim fans hate Vancouver just a little bit more cuz they're stuck with those 2. I guess Kesler isn't doing awful points wise but he's a FAR cry from the shutdown 2 way centre Anaheim thought they were getting.

There's a reason Ehrhoff went from a huge contract to getting bought out to getting league minimum basically to being on waivers. Just like Salo, Higgins, Burrows, Lapierre,  Malhotra, Raymond, and so on... he's just not the player he used to be.

That team is cursed if you look where they almost all are now. Stay away.

Yeah it's crazy how management almost seems to know ahead of time who will be good.  I mean, look at everyone who complained about the Kesler deal and now we see how his production is declining.  Meanwhile Jared's been a smart player and even Luca has been improving (that end-to-end rush before feeding Bo last game tho...)

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2016/1/20/10789176/where-are-they-now-the-building-and-dismantling-of-the-canucks-2011

Sammy, The Hoff, Juice were all traded at seemingly the right time as they started to decline; Oreo, Salo, Ballard and Alberts have retired; Lappy and Tambo are in Europe, and May Ray, Torres, Higgins, Manny, Coho, Rome, etc. are all in the minors.  Even in moving Lu (who for everyone's benefit needed to go to rid of the P.R. nightmare) the team got Markstrom who may be a starter in the near future, and moving Cory brought Bo in return.  

In short looks like there is method to management's seeming madness in making moves.  While I might want to see a Weber for Hoff move, I don't lament that the team didn't bring him back as a waiver castoff.           

Is anyone really surprised by this? Yeah it may be for a trade or maybe it may just be because Ehrhoff isn't half the player he used to be and is now a liability? I think it's the latter. I don't think Christian is an effective offensive d-man anymore. I'd even argue that he doesn't belong in the top 4 defense on most teams.  

On February 13, 2016 at 3:23 PM, grandmaster said:

Edler had one or two good seasons and was given a contract well beyond his skill level. It appeared that MG chose him over the others. 

I am saying that choosing Edler over Salo and Ehrhoff at the time was a mistake. We used to lead the league in goals for and power play goals. Once those two left we steadily worsened in both categories to a point of being in the bottom of the league for multiple years, not to mention becoming a very boring team to watch. 

Edler was given a contract commensurate with his skill level. 

He was anointed with a role that was not. 

Paying him $5mil as a #3 would be fine...it's not his fault there was no one else in the system. 

The fault was in not building around that, and finding the D leader. 

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

Edler was given a contract commensurate with his skill level. 

He was anointed with a role that was not. 

Paying him $5mil as a #3 would be fine...it's not his fault there was no one else in the system. 

I agree. Edler is extremely frustrating to watch as one of our 'top D', but really, he's a #3 who took a good contract when there weren't a ton of great D-men in our system or trades available. That isn't his fault, and I'm sure most players would take the best contract they can acquire.

We've been pretty lucky getting Tanev and Hutton unexpectedly, but really, when's the last time we've had a grade A defensive player in our system? One that can put up some points? This is on management.

I'd be interested to see Jordan Subban in our bottom pairing next season, and maybe try to use him on the PP along with a more defensive d-man. I hear he can get pucks through, which apparently none of our D can do on the PP anymore.

16 minutes ago, Moonshinefe said:

I find it hilarious that people think a defenseman who passed waivers would be a good pickup for the Canucks. No single other team wanted to pick him up as an upgrade to their D, not even other basement dwellers such as ourselves. Take the hint.

Yet we recalled Weber. 

On 2016-02-13 at 3:23 PM, grandmaster said:

You've whiffed on a very important part of the context.

Edler was legitimately a top pairing two way D - 13th in Norris voting in 2011/12 -  a perenial part of Sweden's National top 6......without the very serious setbacks due to his back injuries, right in the prime of his career, who knows what his career would have looked like.

To hindsight that they should have kept Ehrhoff instead is some extremely weak hindsighting.   Ehrhoff's days were numbered the day he left the Sedins and Vancouver behind to 'win a Cup' in Buffalo lol.   Edler  {49pts) had a far superior year to Ehrhoff in 2011/12.  Likewise with Hamhuis - was 10th in Norris voting, whereas Ehrhoff was en route to a buyout.

Gillis made the right decisions - they simply didn't work out as anticipated for unforseeable reasons.

32 minutes ago, Moonshinefe said:

I find it hilarious that people think a defenseman who passed waivers would be a good pickup for the Canucks. No single other team wanted to pick him up as an upgrade to their D, not even other basement dwellers such as ourselves. Take the hint.

Well. We have our own waiver passing prodigy in our line up right now. We know what we have in him, and it clearly isn't anything special.

If we can feed players like Vrbata and Weber top end PP minutes (players who won't be on this squad past the offseason) I don't see why we can't test out potential chemistry with the Hoff. 

Worse comes to worse we drop him in a couple of months. It's not like we're taking on an albatross contract in the process.

Synergy with the Sedins and Edler.....

No one else have been able to replicate it previously or since Ehrhoff.  Lack of success elsewhere doesn't automatically means he's finished.  Some players just automatically fit better with certain other players.

I remember during pre-season, someone was arguing with me that Bartkowski will prove to be better than Ehrhoff, lol. 

Archived