The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

He's real good in NHL16 Be a GM though right guys?

Honestly though, if you go back and watch his games, he is like any young player in the NHL good skill, a little undersized, good speed, and inconsistent. He's a faster and a little stronger version of Linden vey for me. Harder Shot too. 

I've seen him play.  He bears no resemblance to an NHLer.

• Upvote 2

On 9/7/2016 at 7:34 AM, bp79 said:

I think we already did. bear is legit. Granny is a good player and only 23, and Shink would have kept Gaunce down. imo Gaunce is beeter then shink. they put up similar numbers, and Gaunce can play anywhere, and can actually play defense. Plus where would shink play on the flames? my god if he somehow ends up on a line with jonny pee wee hockey. they would get creamed by guddy tree Edler etc. And the only time there in there back end is when they are either flying across the ice literally flying cuz they ran in into the concrete wall aka our D or when they are apologizing to elliot for allowing the 7th goal of the night, because they forgot that they are allowed to backcheck and won't trip over the blueline.. 

so.....it's a good  thing we got rid of a good player so a player who isn't as good gets more opportunity?

If only we got rid of Bure..........he was really cutting into Sandlak's ice time

• Upvote 1

On 2016-09-07 at 1:05 PM, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Y'all some haters. I feel like Granny is becoming my Bo-Sang, and that I've got to champion his cause on CDC

He's young and had had flashes of wise playmaking ability. He's due for a breakout year; I hope he's still with us when it happens. 

Sanguinetti spent one season in the Canucks' system and played zero NHL games while CDC at the time often questioned why he wasn't getting a chance in the NHL.

Granlund has so far spent less than half a season in the Canucks' system, all in the NHL.

Could you explain the comparison between Bo-Sang and Granlund?  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, tyhee said:

Sanguinetti spent one season in the Canucks' system and played zero NHL games while CDC at the time often questioned why he wasn't getting a chance in the NHL.

Granlund has so far spent less than half a season in the Canucks' system, all in the NHL.

Could you explain the comparison between Bo-Sang and Granlund?  Thanks.

I'm not comparing Granny with Bo-Sang, so much as comparing myself to @desiboynux4lifee*******. Desi was known for his unwavering and fervent support for Sanguinetti, even after he left the organization and later the NHL as a whole. I think my Gran-love is starting to take a Desi-like turn. Hopefully Granlund's play makes it worth it all in the end!

• Upvote 1

I know it's unlikely (at least now) but wouldn't it be funny if somehow Granlund became a player with enough offensive scoring to form a #1-#2 line with Bo in say 3-5 years? Like 50-60 point scorer? 

I somehow like this kid. An underdog to cheer for.

• Upvote 1

Full disclaimer..I'll admit didn't grasp the gist of this deal..& still uncertain about it.

Would love it if Granny started flyin', so we could all stuff it, & admit our skepticism was ROTFL.

Of all fwds, figure this dude has perhaps the most eyes/pressure on him from the get-go. Should be interesting.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

20 hours ago, Derp... said:

So much Granlund news this summer. It's kind of scary how no one has really written anything about this guy. JB said this year would be the year his game got a fair bit better. Looking forward to seeing him in camp to see if that is true!

I really don't have a problem with the trade to bring in Granlund.  They needed the help at centre towards the end of last season at centre because McCann wasn't cutting it.  Don't get me wrong, the potential is all there but at 19 he was still not strong enough and needed work on face offs etc.  They also didn't have experience at 4C who could help possession.  Cracknell was fine but he suffered on the dot at <40%.  Zalewski was good at face offs in a small 3 game sample size but had few games under his belt.  So, enter Granlund.

Ok, crisis over.  It's a new season and the Canucks are once again healthy.  They've got Sedin - Sutter - Horvat - Granlund penciled in and Zalewski, Megna, Chaput, Laplante as back ups in Utica and, Gaunce who can all pull spot duty at 4C if needs be.  So worst case scenario, they are not likely to run into the same depth issues next season.

Question, how does it shake out for the 6'0" 185 lb 23 year old Marcus Granlund moving forward?  I think he's better suited as a 3C, playing with some up and coming skilled forwards rather than trying to feed a couple of bangers on the 4th line.  I could see a 3rd line of Etem - Granlund - Virtanen being effective.  Assuming he takes the step forward that Derp is suggesting, and I don't see why not, does Granlund:

1. Remain at 4C
  2. Become trade bait, as they slot in a bigger body on the 4th line, or
  3. Shift to the wing and become a utility forward who can play any spot up and down the line up (within limits)