The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Granlund often plays games, or parts thereof, that can make you feel he is going to start lighting up the scoreboard.

What he ends up showing in the end is a reliable bottom 6 C/LW who skates and passes well and is defensively responsible.

Most fans of his hope for a better FO % and consistent scoring.

Edited by 420since1974

On 2016-10-10 at 10:37 PM, 420since1974 said:

Granlund often plays games, or parts thereof, that can make you feel he is going to start lighting up the scoreboard.

What he ends up showing in the end is a reliable bottom 6 C/LW who skates and passes well and is defensively responsible.

Most fans of his hope for a better FO % and consistent scoring.

He's probably better suited for a middle six or bottom six role. Personally, he and Horvat should switch roles. 

Granlund is better defensively, but limited offensively. 

Horvat needs to re-establish his defensive presence, but has a much higher offensive capacity than Granlund does. 

Make sense to me, no? 

I would like to see Granlund next to Sutter and then Gaunce as 4th C.

Granny has shown that he can make plays on a PP. He shows some chemistry on the 2nd unit PP with Sven here and there but that, I think, is where he should only be playing with Sven.

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I would like to see Granlund next to Sutter and then Gaunce as 4th C.

Granny has shown that he can make plays on a PP. He shows some chemistry on the 2nd unit PP with Sven here and there but that, I think, is where he should only be playing with Sven.

1st game last night so a few games of experimenting is in order. There is more coaching here than fans are crediting. Horvat gets to C two vets and yet gets PP and PK time. I want Gaunce to stick and if that means playing wing to shelter his intro then that is fine with me. IMHO trying to build a dominant 2nd line is a season or two away unless a couple in the bottom 9 really stand out. AT some point that probably happens. With the current line ups WD can match lines on home ice which IMO gave Clouston some problems last night.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

1st game last night so a few games of experimenting is in order. There is more coaching here than fans are crediting. Horvat gets to C two vets and yet gets PP and PK time. I want Gaunce to stick and if that means playing wing to shelter his intro then that is fine with me. IMHO trying to build a dominant 2nd line is a season or two away unless a couple in the bottom 9 really stand out. AT some point that probably happens. With the current line ups WD can match lines on home ice which IMO gave Clouston some problems last night.

True that having the Bo line out against Monahan and Gaudreau is possible and effective at home.  On the road, they likely just draw the other team's 4th line, which is a bit of a waste unless they can score themselves.  So if these lines shift once we go on the road, I'd give the coaching more credit for what they're doing right now. 

On October 3, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Blömqvist said:

Granlund skating alongside Sutter and Rodin on the top line tonight. I'm hoping he can showcase his offensive ability by setting up Rodin who has the hot hand so far this preseason.

Heck, looking ahead if he plays well with Sutter could have 3 really good lines:

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin/Hansen

Granlund - Sutter - Hansen/Rodin

Labate/Virtanen/PTO - Gaunce - Dorsett

Burrows

Nailed it. Sort of.. haha!

That trio of Granlund, Sutter, and Hansen looked really good tonight. Lots of speed and and generated several high quality scoring chances. 

IMO I think most of us, including myself, have mislabelled Granlund as a 4th line checking centre and nothing more after Benning praised Granlund for his two-way game and after Desjardins used him in that 4C spot.

It's like most of us forgot about his scoring stats from the different levels of competition he played in: he captained the gold medal winning Finnish U18 team and scored 10 points in 6 tournament games; 34 points in 47 games as an 18 year old in the Finnish men's league; 7 points in 7 games in his first WJC as an 18 year old; this was followed by 12 points in 6 games at the WJC the following year as a 19 year old; then in his first year in the AHL as a 20 year old he scores 46 points in 52 games, with a total of 72 points in 85 career AHL games. By comparison, Shinkaruk has 83 points in 137 career AHL games.

Markus Granlund just needed to get quicker and stronger to adjust to the NHL level physicality and pace. It looks like with his offseason training he did just that, now he has to put it together consistently. He has the skillset, the smarts, and the two-way ability to be a really good middle 6 if not top 6 player.

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

That trio of Granlund, Sutter, and Hansen looked really good tonight. Lots of speed and and generated several high quality scoring chances. 

IMO I think most of us, including myself, have mislabelled Granlund as a 4th line checking centre and nothing more after Benning praised Granlund for his two-way game and after Desjardins used him in that 4C spot.

It's like most of us forgot about his scoring stats from the different levels of competition he played in: he captained the gold medal winning Finnish U18 team and scored 10 points in 6 tournament games; 34 points in 47 games as an 18 year old in the Finnish men's league; 7 points in 7 games in his first WJC as an 18 year old; this was followed by 12 points in 6 games at the WJC the following year as a 19 year old; then in his first year in the AHL as a 20 year old he scores 46 points in 52 games, with a total of 72 points in 85 career AHL games. By comparison, Shinkaruk has 83 points in 137 career AHL games.

Markus Granlund just needed to get quicker and stronger to adjust to the NHL level physicality and pace. It looks like with his offseason training he did just that, now he has to put it together consistently. He has the skillset, the smarts, and the two-way ability to be a really good middle 6 if not top 6 player.

I thought Granlund was the weakest of the three. I say that because of the number of times he hit the ice. That said his positioning was usually there. I thought Hansen should have got a star last night. He was absolutely flying and set up his team mates numerous times.  

46 minutes ago, Hectic said:

Granlund / Sutter / Hansen could be the surprise of the year, with Baertschi / Horvat / Rodin also providing secondary scoring

Hopefully the Granlund / Sutter / Hansen trio can keep up the consistency. Sutter and Hansen are notable streaky scorers but if they and Granlund can keep their 200 ft-game consistent then at least they'll provide that matchup line that WD wants and get a few high quality scoring chances each game too.

15 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Granlund's U18, WJ and initial seasons in the NHL are very reminiscent of another Markus we traded for. Maybe there are more out there that we can go after. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

MARKUS granLUND
MARKUS nasLUND
Coincidence??

*Puts on tin foil hat*

Easy to say that at first glance TP..  But Naslund didn't really come to having much confidence in the NHL until he was 24 ish. Even after putting up great numbers in the minors.  I see Granlund along those same lines.

Naslund did not start on the first or second line when he came to Vancouver,. and it was actually Pat Quinn who installed confidence in him from the 4th and 3rd line- up. 

We basically got Naslund for less a player than Shinkarick .

I see Granlund skating, playmaking and back checking far better than Naslund when he arrived.

Of course, you had to be lucky enough to have been alive at that time to witness it..  Maybe you weren't?

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Easy to say that at first glance TP..  But Naslund didn't really come to having much confidence in the NHL until he was 24 ish. Even after putting up great numbers in the minors.  I see Granlund along those same lines.

Naslund did not start on the first or second line when he came to Vancouver,. and it was actually Pat Quinn who installed confidence in him from the 4th and 3rd line- up. 

I see Granlund skating, playmaking and back checking far better than Naslund when he arrived.

Of course, you had to be lucky enough to have been alive at that time to witness it..  Maybe you weren't?

Ahaha I'm just joshin' ya. You know I love Granny. I'm just in awe he's even being mentioned in the same breath as Naslund.

And yes, I was alive during Naslund's day, although I was not a hockey fan at the time.

7 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Ahaha I'm just joshin' ya. You know I love Granny. I'm just in awe he's even being mentioned in the same breath as Naslund.

And yes, I was alive during Naslund's day, although I was not a hockey fan at the time.

We have a collection of youth on this team that I can not compare to any time in the Canucks history.

Its nice to see that besides having the skill sets and tool boxes to play on the Canucks, each player has the potential to be much better than they are at this period in time. Add to that, the collection of depth and prospects we have... It's a bright future TP.

1 hour ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Granlund has been playing amazing. He looks like he has the potential to be a perennial top six player. Definitely someone that I'd love to have on the rebuild we're going through. He's been great - and his chemistry with Hansen makes a really fun line. If only Sutter would pass just a wee bit more.

Maybe Benning knew what he was doing all this time after all. lol. 

How did Granlund play tonight? 

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

If he turns out to be even half the player offensively as Naslund while also playing a solid 2 way game....WIN

• Upvote 2