The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:25 AM, Alflives said:

There can't be any denying Benning CLEARLY won this trade, right?

What if we lose Granny to expansion draft and Shinkaruk pots 25g next year with Calgary?  Look, I was against this trade  last year and even now it's not like I'd say it's been a rousing fleece job by Benning.   I just don't see a time when we're discussing the Canucks first Stanley Cup and people bring up that Granlund trade as a catalyst.  But if you want to call a trade after one year then yes, Benning won.

And BTW no forward should be an unsung hero this year.  My vote would be for Tanev or Tryamkin, or maybe edler.  

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

What if we lose Granny to expansion draft and Shinkaruk pots 25g next year with Calgary?  Look, I was against this trade  last year and even now it's not like I'd say it's been a rousing fleece job by Benning.   I just don't see a time when we're discussing the Canucks first Stanley Cup and people bring up that Granlund trade as a catalyst.  But if you want to call a trade after one year then yes, Benning won.

And BTW no forward should be an unsung hero this year.  My vote would be for Tanev or Tryamkin, or maybe edler.  

We are not exposing Granlund.  I could see us exposing Baer before Granny.  ps. Edler sucks.:lol:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Is that really the criteria by which you determine how good a trade was? 

• Upvote 3

Granlund jumped into 197th tonight in all-time Canuck scoring.  205 more points to catch Hansen.

196.  Luca Sbisa D 179 7 24 31
197.  Markus Granlund C 77 18 12 30
198.  Danny Johnson LW 77 16 14 30
199.  Maxim Lapierre C 149 14 16 30
  • Upvote 1

Granlund has quietly been putting together a very solid season... especially for a guy who has bounced around the lineup a lot this year. I was bummed that we dealt Shinkaruk last year but now? Not so much. There's around 20 games left in this season and it's pretty likely that Granlund will cross the 20 goal mark this year (barring injury) which is pretty insane for a guy that a lot of people dismissed early on. Definitely a guy worthy of saving in the expansion and definitely a guy who'll be a fixture in the Canucks lineup for the next several years.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Quite the notable comments by Willie about Granlund today.  Explains well why he has the 6th highest icetime of all forwards.  Not only did he make the team this year, in his first full NHL season he's become a de facto top-six player, also playing the PP and PK.  Will hit 20 goals this year, and is signed for another year at $900,000.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Quite the notable comments by Willie about Granlund today.  Explains well why he has the 6th highest icetime of all forwards.  Not only did he make the team this year, in his first full NHL season he's become a de facto top-six player, also playing the PP and PK.  Will hit 20 goals this year, and is signed for another year at $900,000.

In light of his play this season signing him for $900K was an absolute steal especially if he can keep this up. He's like a smaller, more skilled Hansen. 

On 2/24/2017 at 0:13 PM, Tre Mac said:

What it Horvat suddenly shows no productivity for the rest of his career? What if Megna scores 25 goals next year on a different team? Like seriously, why don't we just think of the most obscure possibilities and base our criteria on that?

Not only that, but I think you're focusing way too much on the expansion draft with this. Granlund has 19 goals so far this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he was among the top of the list on players to protect.

There are obviously things that can arise in the long-term that could turn the tide, but right now the probability of Calgary NOT being fleeced in this trade long-term is rather low given Granlund's rise and Shinkaruk's slide.

On 3/1/2017 at 5:27 AM, Quantum said:

Granlund has quietly been putting together a very solid season... especially for a guy who has bounced around the lineup a lot this year. I was bummed that we dealt Shinkaruk last year but now? Not so much. There's around 20 games left in this season and it's pretty likely that Granlund will cross the 20 goal mark this year (barring injury) which is pretty insane for a guy that a lot of people dismissed early on. Definitely a guy worthy of saving in the expansion and definitely a guy who'll be a fixture in the Canucks lineup for the next several years.

Same and oddly few have given Benning and even Willie kudos for this. Benning spotted it, Willie has brought the talent out. I am actually very surprised by Granlund and I'm an old timer who's watched hockey for 40 years, played the game competitively so think I have a fairly educated and decent perspective on talent. I just didn't see what we had in him but now? Wow....this kid is remining me of a smaller hansen with better hands. He's on pace for 25 goals in what is effectively a rookie season (that is amazing). He's probably never going to be a 35-40 goal guy but hell if he keeps up this trajectory who knows.

I mentioned in another post for all the heat Willie takes he has done an AMAZING JOB developing our young core, something many people ignore when they bark about him. Oddly, as much as we've been talking 'playoffs' and haven't got there people ignore the real results that Willie has achieved and those are really our more important ones long term (development)

Willie seems to great at developing not so great at systems and strategy. Funny thing is, that's kind of what we've needed!

Baer, Bo, Try, Stecher, Hutton, Granlund, Sbisa (although he will end up in vegas) have all taken big strides under willie - something people should really learn to appreciate IMHO

• Upvote 2

On 2/22/2017 at 8:25 AM, Alflives said:

There can't be any denying Benning CLEARLY won this trade, right?

Depends on your criteria.

I consider an outright trade win when you pick up Naz for a plug. Trading a guy that may or may not make it but has potential for young Higgins is working out but it's not an elite trade. If Hunter never makes it then Benning did okay but I don't think that gives him a mulligan on the moves he botched before and after. 

28 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Depends on your criteria.

I consider an outright trade win when you pick up Naz for a plug. Trading a guy that may or may not make it but has potential for young Higgins is working out but it's not an elite trade. If Hunter never makes it then Benning did okay but I don't think that gives him a mulligan on the moves he botched before and after. 

Care to explain what moves he botched? You seem to be implying that he's botched more than he's won. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The Lock said:

What it Horvat suddenly shows no productivity for the rest of his career? What if Megna scores 25 goals next year on a different team? Like seriously, why don't we just think of the most obscure possibilities and base our criteria on that?

Not only that, but I think you're focusing way too much on the expansion draft with this. Granlund has 19 goals so far this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he was among the top of the list on players to protect.

There are obviously things that can arise in the long-term that could turn the tide, but right now the probability of Calgary NOT being fleeced in this trade long-term is rather low given Granlund's rise and Shinkaruk's slide.

There is a much higher chance that Calgary loses Shinkaruk to Vegas in the expansion draft than the Canucks losing Granlund. Shinkaruk will definitely be exposed (but likely passed over) for Vegas and Granlund has about the same chance of being exposed as the Canucks have of making the playoffs.....ain't gonna happen.

I wish Hunter well and hope he is going to have a very productive career but it just isn't going to happen in Calgary. For his sake, I hope Vegas claims him in the expansion draft.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Care to explain what moves he botched? You seem to be implying that he's botched more than he's won. 

You do like to bait the trolls don't you? Obvious from his post that he will never admit JB is doing a good job, no matter what. Getting a good young top 6 forward for a player who never makes the NHL would just be "ok". For JB to actually win a trade he would need to get a superstar in exchange for a complete bust.

53 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I wish Hunter well and hope he is going to have a very productive career but it just isn't going to happen in Calgary. For his sake, I hope Vegas claims him in the expansion draft.

If Calgary left him unprotected and he went on to score 30 goals for Vegas, would Benning be criticized?  Of course, same as Gillis is criticized for Grabner scoring four teams later.

10 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If Calgary left him unprotected and he went on to score 30 goals for Vegas, would Benning be criticized?  Of course, same as Gillis is criticized for Grabner scoring four teams later.

True, but that will mean that both Vancouver and Vegas robbed the Flames........:lol:

15 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Granlund is going to develop into the perfect 3rd line center for this team. Not just a passable spot holder but someone who can really raise the bar. Jordan Staal-esque.

More likely a middle 6 winger.

He can't win faceoffs. If he could he'd be a pretty good 3rd C.

On 2017-03-15 at 0:27 PM, Gooseberries said:

I agree.  

JB has won way more than he has lost at the trade table. He has had a few mulligans, but the good far outweigh the bad.  (Oh Vey!) 

Really his worst 'trade' was not giving up Hammer for scraps last season and tanking in the last ten games to get Mathews.  R has learned the error of his ways and did very well at the TDL this year. 

EW