The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

On 10/9/2017 at 0:06 PM, -AJ- said:

Average goals for an NHL team in a given season. It's like saying John Ogrodnick, who scored 55 goals and 105 points in 1984-85 was a better player than any player currently in the NHL. Context tells you that the average team scored 311 goals that year, showing that offense was just generally higher back then. 2005-06 is just a more subtle version of 1984-85 in this case.

They aren't that out of whack to show he's right. I don't see what proves Granlund is more offensive than Higgins except for opinion and nobody has any evidence to support that claim except for wrongfully claiming that I am spinning numbers. I used the only numbers we have available and it wasn't like I was comparing the 80s with current hockey.

Edited by The Ressurection

1 hour ago, The Ressurection said:

They aren't that out of whack to show he's right. I don't see what proves Granlund is more offensive than Higgins except for opinion and nobody has any evidence to support that claim except for wrongfully claiming that I am spinning numbers. I used the only numbers we have available and it wasn't like I was comparing the 80s with current hockey.

After looking more closely, you're right in that Higgins' numbers are ahead enough of Granlund's to overcome any league offfense advantage. Still, it's worth noting that Higgins was 27 when we first acquired him; Granlund was 22 and is now still just 24.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

After looking more closely, you're right in that Higgins' numbers are ahead enough of Granlund's to overcome any league offfense advantage. Still, it's worth noting that Higgins was 27 when we first acquired him; Granlund was 22 and is now still just 24.

Well I was comparing Higgins at Granlund' s age so Higgins was in Montreal then.This isn't a knock against Granlund either, he's a good player and trading Shinkaruk for him was unpopular but smart. I just don't think we need to diminish Higgins to boost Granlund.

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Ressurection said:

Well I was comparing Higgins at Granlund' s age so Higgins was in Montreal then.This isn't a knock against Granlund either, he's a good player and trading Shinkaruk for him was unpopular but smart. I just don't think we need to diminish Higgins to boost Granlund.

Valid point. Higgins had some very good years when he was young. I do agree that we ought not to diminish what Higgins did for Vancouver and what he accomplished in his career.

Higgins started his career as a top 6 player, but struggled (throughout his career) with consistency due to injuries.  He was always a superb 'puck hound' and was extremely hard to knock off the puck.  He was a good skater and was an asset in both ends of the ice. 

I see a lot of similarities between Granny and Higgy.  They are both versatile and tenacious players that make smart plays at either end of the ice.  While Higgy was a heavier player and tougher to play against, Granlund has better vision and is very opportunistic.   Both of them have terrific wrist shots and are very quick to get to the net.

It remains to be seen whether Granlund will be better offensively, as Higgins' first 3 years in the NHL were very promising.  As a 14th overall pick, Higgy was projected to be the superior player to Granny (45th overall).

I like Granlund very much and would love to see him pass Higgins offensive stats, while remaining consistent for many years to come.  I kind of think he will.  I will certainly be cheering him on!

On 10/16/2017 at 1:21 PM, Hutton Wink said:

LMFAIO

Only 4 games to have the 33 million dollar man back as the 2/3 line center 

And the million dollar Russian pass him into the top 6 (temporarily I would imagine)

I TOLD EVERYONE THAT BO WAS NOT WORTH TOP 3 MONEY

love him on the team tho

He is a MID 6 forward (2/3 liner) and will never be a first line center on any contending team

He is a great guy but his offense is limited and will be figured out by opponents

THIS CONTRACT WILL KILL US IN 2-3 years ( it should been 8X4 for 32 million over 8 years)

Edited by Freaky Freak
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Freaky Freak said:

LMFAIO

Only 4 games to have the 33 million dollar man back as the 3/4 line center 

And the million dollar Russian pass him into the top 6

I TOLD EVERYONE THAT BO WAS NOT WORTH TOP 6 MONEY

love him on the team tho

He is a MID 6 forward (2/3 liner) and will never be a first line center on any contending team

He is a great guy but his offence is limited and will be figured out by opponents

THIS CONTRACT WILL KILL US IN 2-3 years ( it should been 8X4 for 32 million over 8 years)

Just because those are the lines does not mean that is the correct order. The Sedins are not our 1st line anymore, as evidenced by their TOI in games so far. Gagner - Horvat - Vanek could easily end up with the most ice time making them our 1st line.

As for salary vs line placement, Bo has already shown the production of a decent 2nd line center. Even if he plateaus now and doesn't get any better, his salary is in the same ballpark as other 2nd line centers. I'm not sure why you want to be so negative. 

Edit: Just realized that this is in the Granlund thread. It looked like he might have some chemistry with the Sedins last year so I'm excited to see if they click. He should be able to play a similar role to Burrows with them.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Has anyone noticed granland doesn't even have a point in 6games?

Markus Granlund 6games , 0g 0a 0pts

Last year he was one of most offensive players and scorer

I noticed. You have to keep in mind though that for the first few games he was being used as a checker and not really being played in an offense-friendly way at all. I expect with a few more games under his belt with the Sedins he'll start to light the lamp.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I really believe this is the Dorsett/Gudbranson effect that we were missing last season.

Everyone's playing a little bigger with those two in the lineup.

This is another reason why I prefer Granny to Baer.  Granny does things to impact the game beyond points.  He’s a very complete player.  I don’t see Baer on this team once the rebuild is done.  Granny will be though.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is another reason why I prefer Granny to Baer.  Granny does things to impact the game beyond points.  He’s a very complete player.  I don’t see Baer on this team once the rebuild is done.  Granny will be though.

This has been Baertschi's problem so far. He hasn't been quite consistent enough to be a regular top 6, and doesn't bring the game to compliment a bottom 6 line.

Hopefully he can take another step this season and solidify himself as a 40-50 point guy. I do think he has made an effort to work on the defensive side of the game as well.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This has been Baertschi's problem so far. He hasn't been quite consistent enough to be a regular top 6, and doesn't bring the game to compliment a bottom 6 line.

Hopefully he can take another step this season and solidify himself as a 40-50 point guy. I do think he has made an effort to work on the defensive side of the game as well.

I'd take Baer over Ma-Ray at the same age.  They'll end up playing the same role.

But Granlund is probably a more valuable player because he can do more things well.  The shut down line with Sutter and Dorsett has been doing great.

I was looking forward to what Granny could do offensively with a good wrist. 

I can live with the shut down role if the team continues to score more this year