The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Granlund passed a few with his assist tonight into 162nd in all-time Canuck scoring.

161.  Nolan Baumgartner D 99 7 35 42
162.  Markus Granlund C 113 25 16 41
163.  David Bruce RW 143 23 18 41
164.  Josef Beranek LW 98 14 27 41

With the top half of the team out with injuries, some of the depth gets to move up in all-time Canuck scoring.  Granlund into 153rd with his goal tonight.

152.  Roman Oksiuta RW 68 21 25 46
153.  Markus Granlund C 117 28 16 44
154.  Brad Richardson RW 118 19 25 44
155.  Neil Belland D 106 13 31 44
156.  Murray Baron D 383 10 34 44
156.  Scott Walker C 197 10 34 44
156.  Anatoli Semenov C 62 10 34 44

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of different people getting points tonight, but Granlund was the highest riser in all-time Canuck scoring tonight.

151.  Manny Malhotra C 159 18 30 48
152.  Markus Granlund C 127 28 18 46
153.  Roman Oksiuta RW 68 21 25 46
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A lot of different people getting points tonight, but Granlund was the highest riser in all-time Canuck scoring tonight.

151.  Manny Malhotra C 159 18 30 48
152.  Markus Granlund C 127 28 18 46
153.  Roman Oksiuta RW 68 21 25 46

Tryin' to keep ahead of Boeser.

• 3 weeks later...

Travis Green wants players he can with win. Can he win with Markus Granlund?

“We’ll find out,” said the Vancouver Canucks’ coach. “I hope so. Like any of our younger players, the onus is on him.”

Green is buoyed by the manner in which Granlund has embraced a shutdown role. He had a career-high 19 goals last season while playing with Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

He also had damaged wrist ligaments that bothered him all season but never complained. He taped up the wrist and soldiered on before the pain was so great that he required surgery March 21.

The procedure followed a 10-shot attempt outing two nights earlier in quest of the 20-goal plateau. It spoke to his compete level and ability to produce in pain and it’s why Granlund was hoping to be aligned again with the Sedins.

gettyimages-908535992-jpg.jpg?w=300&quality=60&strip=all

Travis Green wants Markus Granlund to be better at hounding pucks, winning battles.Jonathan Kozub / NHLI via Getty Images

However, a more defensive role in a contract season is physically and mentally demanding.

Granlund is a restricted free agent with arbitration rights. Being responsible while also killing penalties doesn’t resonate at the bargaining table as much as goals and assists. Gaining a sizable increase on an expiring two-year, US$1.8 million contract is going to mean being more gritty than a goal scorer.

Granlund has played the power play and two of his seven goals have come with the man advantage, but being on pace for just 11 heading into Thursday’s meeting with the Chicago Blackhawks isn’t lost on the versatile forward.

“You want to score — everybody looks at the statistics,” said the 24-year-old Granlund who had just 11 points after 49 games. “It’s a tough role when you start your shift in the D-zone. It’s a long way to go to the other end, but if you want to win games you’ve got to have players like that.

“We’ve talked about it. I know where I’m at right now and I know what he (Green) wants from me and I’m OK with that. I think I can play every role and that’s a key to being a good player in this league.

“And obviously, I want to play here. We’ll see.”

Green wanted to establish four-line balance in his first NHL season. He flirted with Sam Gagner, Loui Eriksson and even Nikolay Goldobin as pre-season fits for the Sedins and opened the season with Thomas Vanek flanking the Swedes.

This was all before B.B.B. — Before Brock Boeser — and his early emergence only solidified Granlund’s roster stature.

Granlund was an early and effective fixture on the left side with Brandon Sutter and Derek Dorsett on a shutdown line that had the potential to score in transition. Dorsett did. He had seven goals in 20 games before being forced to retire Nov. 30 with health issues.

Granlund has also centred Vanek and Gagner, worked between Brendan Gaunce and Jake Virtanen, played wing when Nic Dowd was acquired and has been reunited with Sutter.

He’s doing what’s expected. But chasing the game in a shutdown capacity and having wavering effectiveness that saw his even-strength Corsi percentage plummet to 45.4 per cent, which ranks 21st on the club, hasn’t gone unnoticed.

“He’s in a spot this year that is beneficial to him and I kind of slotted him where he can succeed,” reasoned Green. “He’s a jack-of-all-trades. Have I been thrilled with his game every night? No. He’s playing better of late and that doesn’t always equate to points.

“We’re going to push him. I want him to be tenacious, to be skating and be on the puck. When he’s skating, he gets places and wins puck battles.”

Sutter thinks Granlund is a winner because it’s difficult to play against top lines.

Forcing them to play in their own zone and to consider a shift where the opposition doesn’t score — or the shutdown line doesn’t take a penalty — a victory that doesn’t show up in the highlight reels takes mental maturity.

“It’s kind of a rarity when you can play any role,” said Sutter. “That’s huge. And playing with him is great. With certain players, you can’t base their value on goals and assists. He brings so much more to us and I think he’ll be fine going forward with the contract stuff.

“From the outside, people see an offensive guy who wants to score goals, but he can play any role he’s put into and the team understands that.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-granlund-grinds-out-demanding-shutdown-role-in-contract-season?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Upvote 2

Since Granlund is an "RFA".  Are there any rules or stipulations on trading him in his contract year?  I am guessing it's pretty straight forward you can deal him even without a contract in the off season because of the RFA status.  is this correct?  Just want to make sure I am covering all my angles in my thought experiment.

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Since Granlund is an "RFA".  Are there any rules or stipulations on trading him in his contract year?  I am guessing it's pretty straight forward you can deal him even without a contract in the off season because of the RFA status.  is this correct?  Just want to make sure I am covering all my angles in my thought experiment.

They simply have to qualify him to retain his rights. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

They simply have to qualify him to retain his rights. 

Thanks.  Trading him well injured is obviously a no go. Did we get a timeline on his return?  Could he possibly be moved before the deadline if that was managements intentions?

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Thanks.  Trading him well injured is obviously a no go. Did we get a timeline on his return?  Could he possibly be moved before the deadline if that was managements intentions?

No timeline yet but he apparently needs surgery.  

Teams can't buy out injured players but can trade them.  Montoya was on IR when the Oilers traded for him - it's them that activated him off IR and not Montreal.  Pronger (LTIR) was traded to Arizona and had to lift his NMC.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

And with that, it's "Welcome, Adam Gaudette!"

Depends on when AG's season ends unfortunately. I'd love to get him a cup of coffee like Boeser got last year and get a look-see but I don't know if it's in the cards...

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Depends on when AG's season ends unfortunately. I'd love to get him a cup of coffee like Boeser got last year and get a look-see but I don't know if it's in the cards...

His team would have to make it all the way to the last game.  Anything's possible, but right now they're ranked about #15.

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Definitely missed both Granny and Tanev tonight.

PK is awful without them apparently.

I would say Granlund is a big part of our PK. Tanev is a big part of our entire defense, period. As soon as he goes, the goals against inflate.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W
  • 3 months later...

We have all forgot about Markus Grandlund, 6'0, 25, LW or  C 

I really feel we could use Markus at LW and use him in a more offensive role..He is a complete player in his own zone and plays a good 200 foot game...We know he can score but last year he was put in a defensive role with Sutter and never had chance to play his game and he missed most of season with his injury....Lets not forget Markus is will want to show his offence ..Hope Markus has a healthy 2018-19 season..

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

We have all forgot about Markus Grandlund, 6'0, 25, LW or  C 

I really feel we could use Markus at LW and use him in a more offensive role..He is a complete player in his own zone and plays a good 200 foot game...We know he can score but last year he was put in a defensive role with Sutter and never had chance to play his game and he missed most of season with his injury....Lets not forget Markus is will want to show his offence ..Hope Markus has a healthy 2018-19 season..

Not that long ago that Granlund was valued more highly than Baer. Injuries last year did not help. To your point he does have an excellent 200' game and has speed. Always based on the return but I still think he has more value than Baer. 

The real unknown is how the existing players will mesh with all the young talent headed towards Van over the next 3 years. IMHO this is why the camp this fall and the pre-season will be very entertaining. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not that long ago that Granlund was valued more highly than Baer. Injuries last year did not help. To your point he does have an excellent 200' game and has speed. Always based on the return but I still think he has more value than Baer. 

The real unknown is how the existing players will mesh with all the young talent headed towards Van over the next 3 years. IMHO this is why the camp this fall and the pre-season will be very entertaining. 

I agree with you he is a complete player that fans have forgot about with his injury and new guys around...

Any coach feels comfortable having a forward with speed along with 200 foot game and has some talent..

Markus is a RFA and will be signed..

Sure hope he is given time with Bo on LW......Grandlund - Bo - Boser...

If JB does not trade 2. Baertchi - RFA or trade - Virtanen

3. Erickson - Sutter - Archiebald

4. Liepsic   - Gaudette - Goldobin

So I don't have some players on roster : Pettersson 6'2, Dahlen 5'11, Gaunce 6'2, Motte 5'10

Players 1-2 year away, Jasek 6'1, Lind 6'1, Gadjovich 6'2, MacEwen 6'4

We can see That Baertchi LW could be traded, Goldobin or Leipsic could play in that spot, Jake could also

be played on LW