The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I'd take Baer over Ma-Ray at the same age.  They'll end up playing the same role.

But Granlund is probably a more valuable player because he can do more things well.  The shut down line with Sutter and Dorsett has been doing great.

I was looking forward to what Granny could do offensively with a good wrist. 

I can live with the shut down role if the team continues to score more this year

Granlund has gotta be happy getting his minutes on that line. Sutter and Dorsett open up a ton of space for him, I think it will only be a matter of time before the points come.

I have a feeling we'll see him on about every line throughout the season as well.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Granlund has gotta be happy getting his minutes on that line. Sutter and Dorsett open up a ton of space for him, I think it will only be a matter of time before the points come.

I have a feeling we'll see him on about every line throughout the season as well.

I don't think I agree with his deployment this season, I know he is a great fit with Sutter and Dorsett but he isn't getting any playmaking support. Most of his goals came from receiving a good pass into the slot or to the wing  and shooting from around the hash marks. Correct me if I'm wrong but 9/10 times his line is playing dump and chase in their zone, minimizing these chances significantly. I recall maybe 2-3 good scoring chances that he has had this season and they have been from broken plays, maybe 1 pass into the slot where he missed the net.

29 minutes ago, ftmN said:

I don't think I agree with his deployment this season, I know he is a great fit with Sutter and Dorsett but he isn't getting any playmaking support. Most of his goals came from receiving a good pass into the slot or to the wing  and shooting from around the hash marks. Correct me if I'm wrong but 9/10 times his line is playing dump and chase in their zone, minimizing these chances significantly. I recall maybe 2-3 good scoring chances that he has had this season and they have been from broken plays, maybe 1 pass into the slot where he missed the net.

If Dorsett and Sutter are playing their game, Granlund will get lots of juicy rebounds from them going to the net.

Granlund should be getting first unit powerplay time at some point. That's where he can get those nice passes in the slot. 5 on 5 he's one of our best two way forwards, and he needs to keep developing that side of his game. He'll be much more valuable as a multi-dimensional player.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Slow start offensively for Granny. Being used in a checking role hasn't helped his offensive totals.

That said he's one of our best defensive forwards at 24 years old. That's a nice asset to have on our team.

Underrated IMO.

definitely underrated, but wish he's given more of an offensive role on the team. it's clear he can produce, considering last year, he scored 19 goals. 

• Upvote 1

On 23/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, DeNiro said:

If Dorsett and Sutter are playing their game, Granlund will get lots of juicy rebounds from them going to the net.

Granlund should be getting first unit powerplay time at some point. That's where he can get those nice passes in the slot. 5 on 5 he's one of our best two way forwards, and he needs to keep developing that side of his game. He'll be much more valuable as a multi-dimensional player.

Since Granlund is on the PK and checking the other team's best line as a shutdown guy, and he is one of or perhaps the time on ice guy among forwards for the Canucks, I don't see him getting much PP time - at least not so long as his line has been so effective in their roles.  But I do agree that as they continue to adjust to their roles, and continue to be ice time leaders among forwards, they will score - at least in part because they do a lot of their shutdown work in the offensive zone - that will lead to turn overs, especially since offensive guys often cheat out of the zone.

• 4 weeks later...

With Bo out, Granlund now has his chance to get back to a more offensive game.

He showed last year he can put the puck in the net, and he has a good forecheck and good wheels.

I think there is a good chance he will end up between Boeser and Goldy.

Makes sense now to leave Baertschi with Vanek and Gags... better balance on the lines.

Burmistrov will need to slot in with Jake and Gaunce till Sutter comes back.

Good luck Granny! 

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

With Bo out, Granlund now has his chance to get back to a more offensive game.

He showed last year he can put the puck in the net, and he has a good forecheck and good wheels.

I think there is a good chance he will end up between Boeser and Goldy.

Makes sense now to leave Baertschi with Vanek and Gags... better balance on the lines.

Burmistrov will need to slot in with Jake and Gaunce till Sutter comes back.

Good luck Granny! 

Maybe Gagner fills Bo’s spot?

1 minute ago, mll said:

Burmistrov is taking Bo's spot per Batchelor after talking to Green.

Why would they want to do that?

Burmistrov is not the player Granny is.

I can understand they don't want to break up the Gaunce line which has been playing well... but they need to keep Boeser and Goldy going.

18 minutes ago, mll said:

I guess so - but Baer-Gagner-Vanek have no chemistry and Granlund is kind of wasting his time on that shutdown line.  

If the guys don’t have any legs again in the first period, maybe TG starts doing some line juggling.  Granny scored 19 with a bad wrist. I thought him playing with more skilled players (Boeser and Goldy) might get him going again?

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the guys don’t have any legs again in the first period, maybe TG starts doing some line juggling.  Granny scored 19 with a bad wrist. I thought him playing with more skilled players (Boeser and Goldy) might get him going again?

I think he doesn't get on that line because of his low F/O %.  He would look miles better than Gagner on the Vanik/Baer line, but once again, his F/O are not good.

Still, I agree that a 20g scorer should be utilized more effectively.  Seems like Green has turned  Granny into a 4th liner.  I suppose it's better that he is minding the young guys over Gagner though.

17 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think he doesn't get on that line because of his low F/O %.  He would look miles better than Gagner on the Vanik/Baer line, but once again, his F/O are not good.

Still, I agree that a 20g scorer should be utilized more effectively.  Seems like Green has turned  Granny into a 4th liner.  I suppose it's better that he is minding the young guys over Gagner though.

Am I wrong? I still like Granlund's game more than Baer's. Baer has to play top 6 to stick where I see Granlund's game more versatile. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Am I wrong? I still like Granlund's game more than Baer's. Baer has to play top 6 to stick where I see Granlund's game more versatile. 

I think he's a more complete player anyways.  If he could get his f/o% up and become a true C, he would be of more value than Baer for sure.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Me too. I could see Granlund in the long term plans as a solid, 2 way bottom 9 guy...though he's clearly better on W than C. He'll likely be cheaper to re-up as well.

As I said in the Baer thread, I think he's here until one of Goldobin/Dahlen takes his spot. Then he gets traded/packaged (possibly with Hutton who I feel is in a similar situation) for futures/other holes.