The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks for the summary. Did he say who the top 3 are? Is it Matthews + 2 Finns or Matthews + Tkachuck + 1 of the Finn?

Demko turning pro sounds like a good plan. He will spend one year in the AHL and we probably won't re-sign Miller after next season so Demko can become backup to Markstrom in two years.

It's good to hear that he wants to get a dominant defenceman.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

All good things. I wonder if Benning thinks Edler is a dominant defenseman. If not, will Benning make a move to acquire a dominant defenseman this summer?

Why not, it's easy to get a dominant defenceman, i am sure. Say you package Horvat, Virtanen and our first pick, that should do it? Right? Is that the answer you were looking for?

Canucks are starting to get some good size:

F - Horvat (6'0" 206), Sutter (6'3" 190), Etem (6'1" 212), Virtanen (6'1" 208), Zalewski (6'2" 205), Gaunce (6'2" 207), Grenier (6'5" 200)

D - Hamhuis (6'1" 209), Sbisa (6'2" 198), Edler (6'3" 215), Pedan (6'5" 213), Tryamkin (6'7" 228)

And if we add Lucic (6'3" 233) :)

3 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

Makes it a shame was haven't gotten any extra draft picks....yet

5 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Why not, it's easy to get a dominant defenceman, i am sure. Say you package Horvat, Virtanen and our first pick, that should do it? Right? Is that the answer you were looking for?

Not at all. If I was looking for an answer, I would have passed right over this one. 

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

If he wasn't good enough to pla in the WJHC, he's not good enough for the NHL.  He's a looooong way from an Ekbland kind of player.  he'd likely finish his Jr career and a year in the AHL.  That's why most dmen aren't picked high in the draft.......it takes a long time to develop and you really do roll the dice picking one early.

I agree Chychrun is more likely 1 to 3 years away. Although he is 100% ready physically. Perhaps this years best athlete?

Most forwards not drafted top 3 also play a draft plus one year in junior. And even in the draft plus 2 year nearly half of 1st round picks will still not be permanent fixtures in the NHL. Only 3 to 6 players every year jump straight into the NHL each year, nevermind key roles.

So picking Chychrun, say 6th, then seeing him arrive in 2017 or 18 as he develops the ability to read plays under pressure is just fine! And it has little to do with any theory D men should not be picked early.  Any player picked early should first and foremost have NHL athleticism and skills. Chychrun has those. Many can't skate backwards fast enough, or as yet have no lateral movement. That's why they dont get picked early. Chara did not get picked early because he had not displayed that yet! No issue here either. That trumps a forward who has 95 points in junior, but lacks the strength to work NHL corners, or speed to win a race to the puck. And it also trumps guys (perhaps yourself?) who have a fear a D man is a flop if he wont score 50 or 60 points in the NHL?

If Chychrun can beat guys to pucks like Tanev, and beat up guys in the corners with more aplomb than Willie Mitchell, and that's his scouting report without even looking at offense > he will be an absolute beaut!

(1) Matthews

(2) Laine

(3) Puljujarvi

(4) Tkachuk

(5) Chychrun (D)

(7) Juolevi (D)

I'd be ecstatic with any of these guys. I didn't include (6) Nylander because he (like his brother) looks "delicate", and we don't need players like that.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

No, actually if you're picking 6th overall and you're a supposed draft wizard... if that guy isn't top 30 in rookie scoring then yeah it means it wasn't a great pick.  I'm not sure what great picks you're talking about that he took in the later rounds.  Have any of them made the team let alone made an impact?  Great picks tend to make impact. 

Shea Weber didn't make impact right away. 

Tyler Seguin didn't make impact right away. 

There's some players who do make impacts right away and some who don't. You can't say that a top 10 pick isn't great because they didn't make impact right away. 

Hold your horses. Virtanen is slowly showing that he has the ability to make those impacts. Just because he isn't in top 20 in rookie scoring makes him the worst of the bunch? Might as well trade him according to your logic. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Well I was on the Juolevi / Sergachev train earlier this year. But...

As above, we could easily fall to 7th, maybe as low as 4th? Chychrun would be awesome! He may not be Doughty slick. Or Juolevi slick... Jovanovski was not particularly slick either. Plus Chychrun is faster. There are only so many guys who are absolute beast athletes available every so many years. Earlier in the year I did not think we would be in a position to draft Chychrun.

He can punish guys and be the anchor for our team for the next 12 to 15 years.

Then we can find a slick puck handler for our back end somewhere else. Maybe we even have one in Hutton or Subban? But they would have the room to move and play their game, without having to be Doughty, when you have such a beast patrolling our end!

If Chychrun became another Jovo Cop, I'd be thrilled beyond thrilled. 

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

(1) Matthews

(2) Laine

(3) Puljujarvi

(4) Tkachuk

(5) Chychrun (D)

(7) Juolevi (D)

I'd be ecstatic with any of these guys. I didn't include (6) Nylander because he (like his brother) looks "delicate", and we don't need players like that.

If Alex is anything like his brother, he's got a long way to go. I know Babcock wasn't impressed at all with Nylander. I'd rather pass on him for a D like Juolevi as you mentioned.

4 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

If Chychrun became another Jovo Cop, I'd be thrilled beyond thrilled. 

A big punishing D that can skate? Even more, one that can skate "like the wind"???

Nothing wrong with that! And they only come along every so often...

4 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

-Thinks Boeser will play another year at UND, thinks Demko will turn pro

Good summary. This bit on Demko would be nice if that panned out... the goaltending in Utica isn't spectacular since Markstrom left so there's a real opportunity there for him. I can't wait to see someone on CDC complain about Benning not getting a 1st round pick for Cannata when Demko takes over... oh that asset management.  

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A big punishing D that can skate? Even more, one that can skate "like the wind"???

Nothing wrong with that! And they only come along every so often...

Not just skate, but put pucks in the net with ease. Man I wish Jovanovski had stayed longer. We haven't had a player like him since.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I haven't gone through all 5 pages to see if it was already mentioned, but we also have Guillaume Brisebois and Jordan Suban to add to that list. Brisebois is another 2-3 years away, but he has solid potential. Suban is a coin toss. If he makes it as a regular in the NHL, he'll be a beauty. But that's a big if due to his size. Still, 2 more intriguing prospects on D.

What gives Subban hope is our lack of RHD so I'd sure like to see him up for a few games at the end here if that's possible. He's not tall but at 185 lbs he's not the lightest guy in the league either.  

3 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Does that mean we're aiming for top 3? but then Benning comments on Chychrun who is likely to be taking somewhere between 4-6.

Hmm...

Maybe both in the cards... But who would be moved out to get another high first pick? 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Brendan Tanev is on there list, good skater, good PKer, see him as a good 4th line PKer

Why is a 4th liner on his list? Dime 'o' dozen.

Stay focused Benning

Soooo after the first few

rounds in the draft you just start rolling the dice? 

Archived