The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, stexx said:

he said matthews and the two finns were a cut above the rest. 

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Benning would go Matthews, Pul, Laine and then Chychrun

From all of the footage I have seen of Laine I just do not see his game being as dominant in the NHL.  PUj is far more Dynamic, and it looks like the majority of Laine' goals come from the perimeter and are taking advantage of the large ice and weak goaltenders.

Laine=Finnish Dany Heatly

PUj= Finnish Mario

2 hours ago, lmm said:

I think you missed Paternak and Fabbri.

McCann is scoring like 4th round phenom Victor Arvidsson

He is also getting destroyed physically.

McCann is the epitome of a rushed prospect.

If McCann gets out of this season without a nagging injury he and the Canucks will be lucky  

Your opinion is yours, and I accept that it's unique.  It's special really, very special.  

8 hours ago, fanofvan said:

Watching highlights of Laine has me drooling....purely on play style (READ NOT A SKILL COMPARISON), he reminds me of Lemieux in that he uses his size effectively, protects the puck, and has no problem going to the dirty areas to get the job done.

Probably the player i am most excited about in the draft. Id almost be happier with Laine than Matthews for some reason.

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Crawford did put a bunch of qualfiers on it though, like "once he got used to the speed and physicality" etc.

I am not saying that he won't turn out to be a good player, but it is wise to temper expectations.  I think it is a coin flip whether he is in the AHL next year.

I do recall when we drafted him that the TSN guys were saying that they thought his game would translate even better to NHL sized ice than the international sized rinks he is playing on.  His size and mobility allows him to cover a lot more of the D zone when it is so much smaller.... just like Chara can seem to poke check you from half the rink away by just taking a couple of steps.

What further excites me is if you can turn him into a true stay at home defenceman like Willie Mitchell, who can clear the front of the net and make it unpleasant for opposing forwards... it allows you to pair him with a smaller and more skilled offensive D man like Subban as complementary.

Tryamkin paired with Subban would be like watching "Twins" with Arnie and Danny DeVito.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Some people view others higher than others. So for me its just a relief to hear Benning say his top 3 is my top 3.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It sounds like it would almost certainly be Chychrun if he's on the board.

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Benning said something like this on the radio this morning

"the Canucks have not drafted a defenseman in the 1st round in the last 10 years, if a

defenseman comes up that we like, we will go in that direction

After each quote here > everybody should kneel down, say three Hail Mary's & a Hallelujah!  :wub:

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Benning would go Matthews, Pul, Laine and then Chychrun

What source for Laine over Pul Jur Jarvi?

he is 15 or so lbs bigger, with more power which has merit in match ups. A ridiculous shot.

Puljujarvi is just too dynamic with the puck, too hard working away from the puck, too hard on the wall, too fast for me to pass him by. My comparable for him is a young Jarimir Jagr. The size to stifle anyone who confronts him, that ridiculous ability to dangle, control the puck and make plays...

Puljujarvi!

9 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

Theres a difference between a drop off and bad players. The top 3 is in their own league, its like there was a drop off after the top 2 last year (McDavid, Eichel) does that mean the draft wasnt deep? No.

16 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What source for Laine over Pul Jur Jarvi?

he is 15 or so lbs bigger, with more power which has merit in match ups. A ridiculous shot.

Puljujarvi is just too dynamic with the puck, too hard working away from the puck, too hard on the wall, too fast for me to pass him by. My comparable for him is a young Jarimir Jagr. The size to stifle anyone who confronts him, that ridiculous ability to dangle, control the puck and make plays...

Puljujarvi!

I like Puljujarvi better to. My main reason, he's better at making his teammates better. 

6 hours ago, stawns said:

If he wasn't good enough to pla in the WJHC, he's not good enough for the NHL.  He's a looooong way from an Ekbland kind of player.  he'd likely finish his Jr career and a year in the AHL.  That's why most dmen aren't picked high in the draft.......it takes a long time to develop and you really do roll the dice picking one early.

I don't expect him to be like Ekblad.  I expect him to be more comparable to a Noah Hanifan type. Good enough to be in the league, if not I expect him after a year or so. Won't tear the league up offensively, but he will contribute. Chychrun can make a defensive squad if not on a stud team. If we pick up Chychrun, and I hope we do, I think he could make opening roster, granted unless we make moves.

9 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

a bit like trump; doesn't read off a teleprompter

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If Benning thinks Brandon Tanev projects to be a 4th line two way forward, do we really need to use a contract on him?

Seems to me we have a log jam of 4th line talent in our system. I'd rather take a chance on a highly skilled boom or bust college player.

I'm with you. Can't see a 6 foot, 180lb, non-physical winger on the 4th line...but maybe I'm old fashion

14 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

No, actually if you're picking 6th overall and you're a supposed draft wizard... if that guy isn't top 30 in rookie scoring then yeah it means it wasn't a great pick.  I'm not sure what great picks you're talking about that he took in the later rounds.  Have any of them made the team let alone made an impact?  Great picks tend to make impact. 

Rome wasn't built in a day. 

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen is also a young powerforward.  Few people expect them to break in as teenage 20 goals scorers.  The other top 10 pwfd in the 2014 draft - Nick Ritchie - has 1 point in 22 games as a rookie - and certainly not time to judge him quite yet either.   Perlini at 12 has yet to crack Phoenix's lineup, nor has Alex Tuch (in Minnesota).

Jake has impressed me more than I'd expected tbh - he's looking both stronger and faster at this level than I'd anticipated - he's already able to blow by NHL defensemen, and he's already a player no one wants to get hit by (is already in the kitchen of a number of opponents).   He also thinks the game better at this point than I thought he would coming in at such a young age.  He's probably never going to lead his draft class in scoring (particularly with the likes of Draisaitl in his draft year), but he's a special, rare kind of player imo and has generated a lot more confidence (in me) than doubt in his abilities moving forward.   But the thing that has probably impressed me most about Jake is his perspective - he's extremely mindful of his team-mates and his comments always reflect a team-first disposition/attitude.  He strikes me as a young guy with a very firm handle on his ego, making him highly coachable imo.  I get happier and happier they selected him every chance I get to see him play - or get interviewed.

I've met Jake a few times and your analysis is spot on. 

Archived