The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Brendan Tanev is on there list, good skater, good PKer, see him as a good 4th line PKer

Why is a 4th liner on his list? Dime 'o' dozen.

Stay focused Benning

He's on the list but most likely on the lower end.

Also, the scouting report is he only scores big/clutch goals. 

That's a damn good fourth liner to have. Plus his brother is on our team.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Chychrun would be just fine as well.

Chychrun, Hutton, Tanev, Pedan, Tryamkin....defense slowly becoming not such an issue down the road.

I haven't gone through all 5 pages to see if it was already mentioned, but we also have Guillaume Brisebois and Jordan Suban to add to that list. Brisebois is another 2-3 years away, but he has solid potential. Suban is a coin toss. If he makes it as a regular in the NHL, he'll be a beauty. But that's a big if due to his size. Still, 2 more intriguing prospects on D.

With no Edler for the rest of the season, I see us falling pretty far. No Edler for the season, and no Sutter for the near future, as well as no Henrik? Yeah, we are not going to finish off the season too strong. I see Chychrun in our future, and I like it for next season.

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Crawford said today he saw him playing against ex-NHLers in the Spengler Cup and said he looked "very good".  Of course they are ex for a reason, but Tryamkin isn't going to be trotted out against top-6 guys right away either.

Crawford did put a bunch of qualfiers on it though, like "once he got used to the speed and physicality" etc.

I am not saying that he won't turn out to be a good player, but it is wise to temper expectations.  I think it is a coin flip whether he is in the AHL next year.

I do recall when we drafted him that the TSN guys were saying that they thought his game would translate even better to NHL sized ice than the international sized rinks he is playing on.  His size and mobility allows him to cover a lot more of the D zone when it is so much smaller.... just like Chara can seem to poke check you from half the rink away by just taking a couple of steps.

What further excites me is if you can turn him into a true stay at home defenceman like Willie Mitchell, who can clear the front of the net and make it unpleasant for opposing forwards... it allows you to pair him with a smaller and more skilled offensive D man like Subban as complementary.

26 minutes ago, arcanuck said:

Chychrun is probably our best bet in the draft this year

We all know you need a dominant dman to compete for the title. The issue is acquiring one?

Well I was on the Juolevi / Sergachev train earlier this year. But...

8 minutes ago, TheLiveWire said:

With no Edler for the rest of the season, I see us falling pretty far. No Edler for the season, and no Sutter for the near future, as well as no Henrik? Yeah, we are not going to finish off the season too strong. I see Chychrun in our future!

As above, we could easily fall to 7th, maybe as low as 4th? Chychrun would be awesome! He may not be Doughty slick. Or Juolevi slick... Jovanovski was not particularly slick either. Plus Chychrun is faster. There are only so many guys who are absolute beast athletes available every so many years. Earlier in the year I did not think we would be in a position to draft Chychrun.

He can punish guys and be the anchor for our team for the next 12 to 15 years.

Then we can find a slick puck handler for our back end somewhere else. Maybe we even have one in Hutton or Subban? But they would have the room to move and play their game, without having to be Doughty, when you have such a beast patrolling our end!

5 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Easy killer. Im just staying reserved. I've been disappointed in the past okay. 

He will likely see minimal minutes to start looking sluggish and overwhelmed with a defensive partner like weber or sbisa. If he turns out he does. If he doesnt oh well. Not getting all hyped up for a guy when he could turn out to be john scott or bolt back to the K if he isnt ready. 

At least ill admit to know knowing much about a player unlike most of CDC. 

Sorry if that was too harsh, and I mean that, I'm not being sarcastic.

I am also sorry about your past disappointments and trust you do not have a real problem with depression or anything like that.

We are probably very different people as I am always optimistic about the Canucks, love every player and prospect, management, etc.

I even think we still might make the playoffs (although hope is fading quickly).

And I am extremely excited to finally be getting some size on defense.

I have followed the Nux since before they made it to the NHL and am a real dinosaur when it comes to liking big players.

Big players with skill is the way to win, imo.

That last game against LA was brutal in the way every player was bigger than every player on the Canucks and when they laid on our little guys, they squashed them out of the play.

I appreciate special talents like Bure, Gradin, the Sedins, and Nazzy but still hold onto the prehistoric idea that you need a balance on the team which includes some big guys that make room for this type of player and are available to at least take a partner when the going gets rough (like the playoffs).

Against San Jose, nobody answered Burns' cheap shot/attempt-to-injure (successful) because nobody could stand up to him.

I love Dorsett but just like Ryp, he's too small to carry the whole load alone.

We don't need to return to bench-clearing brawls but we need some deterrents and more players that can handle the rough going and that do not need defending.

Tryamkin, by all accounts, and I readily admit I only know what has been posted here, is a good skater with great size and I am really looking forward to having him make the team.

And if Pedan can make the team too, I think we are finally starting to get some meat on this skeleton-like team.

I really do not want to watch someone like Ferland charging the length of the ice and smashing into every Canuck at will ever again.

The list of big guys who have had their way with us is a long one, and it has to stop somewhere; at least Tryamkin might be a start.

It's not just Tryamkin's size but the fact that he has played 4 seasons now, his ice time has increased steadily to the point where he has been relied on by his team to provide sound defense, some offense, some physicality and protection of his teammates.

There is a lot to be excited about here, imo.

Stick your toe in the water, try it out a bit, optimism can be a lot of fun.

27 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I haven't gone through all 5 pages to see if it was already mentioned, but we also have Guillaume Brisebois and Jordan Suban to add to that list. Brisebois is another 2-3 years away, but he has solid potential. Suban is a coin toss. If he makes it as a regular in the NHL, he'll be a beauty. But that's a big if due to his size. Still, 2 more intriguing prospects on D.

Good points. I like to that there is a variance of skills and strengths amongst them.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

McCann 22nd in rookie scoring

Virtanen 30th in rookie scoring

Dylan Larkin was taken 15th and has quadruple the points Virtanen (6th overall) does. 

Enough said.

Larkin has 39p in 64gp, averaging 14:23 in 5-on-5 TOI and 2:02 in PP TOI per game playing with Tatar, Zetterberg, Abdelkader, or Nyquist.

McCann has 15p in 55gp, averaging 11:24 in 5-on-5 TOI and 0:59 in PP TOI per game playing with Dorsett and Burrows.

Virtanen has 11p in 40gp, averaging 10:28 in 5-on-5 TOI and 0:35 in PP TOI per game playing with Granlund and Baertschi.

Enough said.

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Sorry if that was too harsh, and I mean that, I'm not being sarcastic.

I am also sorry about your past disappointments and trust you do not have a real problem with depression or anything like that.

We are probably very different people as I am always optimistic about the Canucks, love every player and prospect, management, etc.

I even think we still might make the playoffs (although hope is fading quickly).

And I am extremely excited to finally be getting some size on defense.

I have followed the Nux since before they made it to the NHL and am a real dinosaur when it comes to liking big players.

Big players with skill is the way to win, imo.

That last game against LA was brutal in the way every player was bigger than every player on the Canucks and when they laid on our little guys, they squashed them out of the play.

I appreciate special talents like Bure, Gradin, the Sedins, and Nazzy but still hold onto the prehistoric idea that you need a balance on the team which includes some big guys that make room for this type of player and are available to at least take a partner when the going gets rough (like the playoffs).

Against San Jose, nobody answered Burns' cheap shot/attempt-to-injure (successful) because nobody could stand up to him.

I love Dorsett but just like Ryp, he's too small to carry the whole load alone.

We don't need to return to bench-clearing brawls but we need some deterrents and more players that can handle the rough going and that do not need defending.

Tryamkin, by all accounts, and I readily admit I only know what has been posted here, is a good skater with great size and I am really looking forward to having him make the team.

And if Pedan can make the team too, I think we are finally starting to get some meat on this skeleton-like team.

I really do not want to watch someone like Ferland charging the length of the ice and smashing into every Canuck at will ever again.

The list of big guys who have had their way with us is a long one, and it has to stop somewhere; at least Tryamkin might be a start.

It's not just Tryamkin's size but the fact that he has played 4 seasons now, his ice time has increased steadily to the point where he has been relied on by his team to provide sound defense, some offense, some physicality and protection of his teammates.

There is a lot to be excited about here, imo.

Stick your toe in the water, try it out a bit, optimism can be a lot of fun.

post more please.  It gets tiring hearing all the negative nancies on 1040/media/here

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

We got ridiculously lucky that McCann not only dropped as far as he did, but dropped so far in a WEAK draft. Could be our lucky break.

We deserve some breaks.  Hopefully, we can get lucky like so many other teams and get a d or two from later picks that turn out to be superstars!  Stupid Hawks!  

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Well I was on the Juolevi / Sergachev train earlier this year. But...

As above, we could easily fall to 7th, maybe as low as 4th? Chychrun would be awesome! He may not be Doughty slick. Or Juolevi slick... Jovanovski was not particularly slick either. Plus Chychrun is faster. There are only so many guys who are absolute beast athletes available every so many years. Earlier in the year I did not think we would be in a position to draft Chychrun.

He can punish guys and be the anchor for our team for the next 12 to 15 years.

Then we can find a slick puck handler for our back end somewhere else. Maybe we even have one in Hutton or Subban? But they would have the room to move and play their game, without having to be Doughty, when you have such a beast patrolling our end!

The think about Chychrun, is he's one of those players that is years ahead of his development and could step into the NHL immediately, if not net year. We have a number of young guys that are already on the team at forward, Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, McCann, Granlund, Vey, Etem. Gaunce and Boeser are on there way and will be here in a year or 2. That's a lot of forward youth, and forward diversity.

At goaltending we have Markstrom ready to take the reigns as early as next year, and Demko for the long future.

At defense we have Hutton on the team and he's a beaut. Subban looks like he will be a valuable PMD and he's also looking to be ready in a season or 2. Our defense after Subban, like Brisebois and others, are not going to be here for another 2-3 seasons or more. Hell, Tryamkin isn't even a sure thing for next season. Chychrun gives us 2 defensive anchors that will lead the blueline youth as early as next season. With the Hutton, Chychrun combo, and Subban quickly on his way, we will have honestly, succesfully completed our youth movement and moved to having a very solid young group of kids for the future. Guys like Cassels, Brisebois, and others will come along with time.

Just now, TheLiveWire said:

The think about Chychrun, is he's one of those players that is years ahead of his development and could step into the NHL immediately, if not net year. We have a number of young guys that are already on the team at forward, Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, McCann, Granlund, Vey, Etem. Gaunce and Boeser are on there way and will be here in a year or 2. That's a lot of forward youth, and forward diversity.

At goaltending we have Markstrom ready to take the reigns as early as next year, and Demko for the long future.

At defense we have Hutton on the team and he's a beaut. Subban looks like he will be a valuable PMD and he's also looking to be ready in a season or 2. Our defense after Subban, like Brisebois and others, are not going to be here for another 2-3 seasons or more. Hell, Tryamkin isn't even a sure thing for next season. Chychrun gives us 2 defensive anchors that will lead the blueline youth as early as next season. With the Hutton, Chychrun combo, and Subban quickly on his way, we will have honestly, succesfully completed our youth movement and moved to having a very solid young group of kids for the future. Guys like Cassels, Brisebois, and others will come along with time.

If he wasn't good enough to pla in the WJHC, he's not good enough for the NHL.  He's a looooong way from an Ekbland kind of player.  he'd likely finish his Jr career and a year in the AHL.  That's why most dmen aren't picked high in the draft.......it takes a long time to develop and you really do roll the dice picking one early.

58 minutes ago, Tystick said:

He's on the list but most likely on the lower end.

Also, the scouting report is he only scores big/clutch goals. 

That's a damn good fourth liner to have. Plus his brother is on our team.

Agreed. Of course he's on a list. He's regarded by many as one of the top undrafted college kids coming available. If you don't have a list of those kids you aren't doing your job. And you build 4 lines and 4 line depth. 

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Some of the most encouraging things I've heard from Benning.

> NEED dominant defenseman

> Still considering sending some of our rookies for junior play off run / ensure best development experience.

> Chychrun

> See point one?

Benning prior to this point has been far to nondescript regarding our D. Nice to hear the wheel may finally be grinding...

Are you sure that's what he said?

Good to hear what Benning's thoughts are and what direction he wants to go.Saying that if we do not get the pick we want I wonder what he will do to get a top 3 or 4 pick if say we are in the 7th spot???I do think that our D right now is the main concern for the team and then a pure goal scorer to balance out the top three lines!

Archived